• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this thread. So disappointed. I picked up my first pair of JLs, Becketts Classic Oxfords. I tried on a ton of their shoes and ended up with a 7.5 UK in the 8000 last (I think that's the one). Incidentally, this is my standard shoe size. They felt great in the store.

They felt great the first day wearing them. I almost wrote a thread entitled, "how can I ever wear anything else but Lobb?"

After the second day, 12+-hour of wearing them (intensely hot out) my toes felt scrunched together. It became very uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get home and loose my self of the shoes. So disappointing! I felt like they were tightest around my third or fourth toe, oddly, not necessarily the big toe or pinky. I wonder if this has to do with the pointy last or maybe my foot swelled a ton. I had a touch of heel slippage while trying on in the store, but it went away as I expected after a day. A half size up was very long on me and heel slippage to the point that it altered my gait! I guess the last might not work for me.

I'll give it a few more tries, but after that second wear I'm wondering...

bjornb17

Reaction score
My first pair of AE shoes were 10.5 E, like the foot measuring device at the store said. Got my shoes, were VERY snug but not painful when putting them on, figured they would break in. Well after 2 weeks it only got worse as my feet swelled up. Turned out I'm a 10.5 EEE, but can wear 11E as well.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll want your shoes to be comfortable right out of the box. They may break in a little over time, but don't expect major changes in fit. I agree with other posts that you probably need a 8.5 E.

Comfortable right out of the box/trying on in store does not always equate comfortable after a one mile walk. IME it sometimes take time to break in.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the front of the shoe is too tight, I would try stretching it a bit. It sounds like your foot is relatively wide in the front.

You can either buy a shoe stretcher or what I do is use a medium shoe tree and put several pairs of socks over it and shove it into the shoe (I wear 9-9.5D/E, closer to E so a lot of "sleek" shoes fit tight for me in the toe area). I typically leave it in for a week and the shoe fits fine afterwards.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this thread. So disappointed. I picked up my first pair of JLs, Becketts Classic Oxfords. I tried on a ton of their shoes and ended up with a 7.5 UK in the 8000 last (I think that's the one). Incidentally, this is my standard shoe size. They felt great in the store.
They felt great the first day wearing them. I almost wrote a thread entitled, "how can I ever wear anything else but Lobb?"
After the second day, 12+-hour of wearing them (intensely hot out) my toes felt scrunched together. It became very uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get home and loose my self of the shoes. So disappointing! I felt like they were tightest around my third or fourth toe, oddly, not necessarily the big toe or pinky. I wonder if this has to do with the pointy last or maybe my foot swelled a ton. I had a touch of heel slippage while trying on in the store, but it went away as I expected after a day. A half size up was very long on me and heel slippage to the point that it altered my gait! I guess the last might not work for me.
I'll give it a few more tries, but after that second wear I'm wondering...

I really wouldn't expect a new pair of RTW shoes to be particularly comfortable for 12 hours on the second wearing - particularly in heat. And it's probably better to not wear them more than once a week at most.
They will likely be fine if they were comfortable in the store.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some encouraging advice. I'll give it a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads