• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shirts - How is the fit?

gj555

Reaction score
Just picked up 3 MTM shirts from local Toronto shirt manufacturer. Any comments on the fit? I asked him to make a few changes versus the last time he made me shirts and he implemented all of them. The only change I wanted to make and did not ask for (and regret) was for him to make the left arm slightly shorter than the right (they are different lengths). It shows in the photos.

I have not washed them yet and presume some shrinkage (I know - I should wash before posting)

DSCF1382.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1385.jpg

THis one is under a suit:

DSCF1387.jpg

dclloyd

Reaction score
Looks like a nice shirt! Really like the look of the fabric.

Agree on the sleeve length, a little shorter on the left would be good. Your shoulders look somewhat square, are you finding a roll behind the collar? In the top photo it looks like there may be one? Having this problem myself I know that it's sometimes hard to see - unless you have mutiple mirrors hanging around ...
eh.gif

Might take in the waist a little ... but wait until you launder it a few times, and of course it depends on how trim you want the fit.

Verso

Reaction score
Looks very nice, and like the others I think it's a great fabric.

I think it could come in at the waist and across the shoulders (from what I can tell on my rubbish monitor it looks like the seam is a bit far down your deltoid). Of course it may shrink, as you've said.

Who made it?

Oh yeah: I agree with Antonio on the collar. I'd like to see it with a tie.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verso
Looks very nice, and like the others I think it's a great fabric.

I think it could come in at the waist and across the shoulders (from what I can tell on my rubbish monitor it looks like the seam is a bit far down your deltoid). Of course it may shrink, as you've said.

Who made it?

Oh yeah: I agree with Antonio on the collar. I'd like to see it with a tie.

Made by Ridolfi Shirts. Because it is MTM, it usually takes a couple of orders to get things the way you want them and then ongoing small tweaks on subsequent orders.

The collar is a slightly modified version of their standard widespread collar (its not as high).

sm332

Reaction score
Would you mind telling me how much they ran you?

I am in the market for some MTM and although I had a decent experience with Maxwells (traveling HK tailors) in April. I found that they took some shortcuts (darts, which is ok if patterns are carefully matched - but they werent, fabric quality was a little uneven)

Originally Posted by gj555
Made by Ridolfi Shirts. Because it is MTM, it usually takes a couple of orders to get things the way you want them and then ongoing small tweaks on subsequent orders.

The collar is a slightly modified version of their standard widespread collar (its not as high).

gj555

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of Maxwells.Price of my shirts were ok but much more than Maxwells (I sent you a pm)

Verso

Reaction score
I am also not a fan of Maxwells. I think you can do better at Winners (and infinitely better at Mytailor, who like Maxwell comes to Toronto twice a year).

I like Salgado (I'm wearing one today) for MTM, but they're 3 for $185 each. Is Ridolfi competitive with that?

sm332

Reaction score
Irrespective of what one likes/dislikes about Maxwells I find anything OTR are simply not great when it comes to fits. The only shirts that are even somewhat equivalent are slimfit and even they dont have high arm holes and other basic features that Maxwells gets right.

I checked out the pricing at MyTailor and it is significantly more. The basic 2-ply cotton's coming in at 79 a pop which is effectively 100 per shirt once you add in S+H, customs, taxes et al.

I still might check them out when they come to Toronto in October.

I am also not a fan of Maxwells. I think you can do better at Winners (and infinitely better at Mytailor, who like Maxwell comes to Toronto twice a year).

I like Salgado (I'm wearing one today) for MTM, but they're 3 for $185 each. Is Ridolfi competitive with that?

gj555

Reaction score

Yes - they are less but also a minimum of 3.
Also, Salgado does not make his own shirts. When you cut out the middle man you save a little. You can also try Shirtfit. A lot of the tailors use them (as does Harrys but some people have complained about the quality of the ones they got at Harrys).

Originally Posted by sm332;
Irrespective of what one likes/dislikes about Maxwells I find anything OTR are simply not great when it comes to fits. The only shirts that are even somewhat equivalent are slimfit and even they dont have high arm holes and other basic features that Maxwells gets right.

For OTR, the only shirts that fit me properly is Aquascutum which I believe are only sold at Stollery's. They are much trimmer than the Italian brands and the Tilfords.

If you are looking for sub $100 MTM shirts you can always try Lee Baron on Elizabeth street. All their stuff is made by a Hong Kong company of the same name. The advantage over maxwell is that the tailor that runs the store can do tweaks and alterations if necessary after the clothes arrive in Canada. Quality is probably similar to Maxwell in both shirts and suits.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look like a pretty easy fit for OTR. If it wasn't for the one sleeve being longer than the other I would have just went with something OTR and had it altered.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
You look like a pretty easy fit for OTR. If it wasn't for the one sleeve being longer than the other I would have just went with something OTR and had it altered.

I am actually on the thin side. Most OTR shirts are good in the neck but everything else is .5 too big. I have tried taking in OTR but nothing works great. The nicer slimmer fitting shirts end up costing the same as MTM so I usually just go with MTM (plus prefer picking my fabrics).

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great fit, a little baggy around the waist but overall good. You need a tie or something, with the jacket on you look amsih.

bizzblar

Reaction score
I'm probably not qualified yet to comment, but the first thing that struck me was the baggyness of the sleeves (even the one that fits correctly). No one else feel the same?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads