• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW SHIRTS BESPOKE NAPLES

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke shirts I've tried a lot of different craftsmen. But I could never be satisfied until I met the master D'Avino of a small town near Naples. To contact him you can write a sore to: [email protected] ... also because it has a website or something. It ' true craftsman in that too. Or you can visit my blog ... you can find it at the bottom of the address as a signature.

But what's special about her shirt ? The answer is simple . Has a perfect cut , the shoulder saddled and is realized with 25 steps by hand . And to make a bespoke shirt D'Avino takes more than 30 hours. In fact, he told me that no more than 3-4 shirts per day . And then he told me that his shoulder is mounted as a jacket. And no one does this.

Fiorenzo D'Avino is really a very good person . He goes and gets all its customers directly at Capodichino airport and then take them in his laborario of Somma Vesuvius . And so he did with me.

During the journey from the airport to his lab, he told me about his life. A life spent in the world of bespoke shirt . He is a son of art. His mother and grandmother were already bespoke shirts to ancient nobles of Naples. They were also skilled embroiderers . So as a child he learned it all really. and if it was not enough as his mother sent him in secret to learn from the father of Neapolitan shirt . or the teacher Gino Borrelli ... totally different from his son Luigi Borrelli . And then D'Avino has learned and further in-depth technical and capacity. In fact, while he was with Gino Borrelli has created the shirts for the most important people on earth.

But he never gave up his dream. That is, to create a bespoke his small workshop . In this workshop was born in my opinion the most beautiful Neapolitan shirt that I have seen in my life.

And a key feature of D' Avino is that of not being a conceited person . He does what you ask . I was real protagonist of my bespoke shirt .

When we arrived in his laboratory has treated me like a king. I was immediately put me at ease . I took the action , I told him what I wanted. And he immediately noticed a small flaw in my shoulder. Thing that no one could see . And that's why my little problem made me come back 2 more times to him. So I did 2-ply test . The result? My shirt is perfect. And until now there was no one ever succeeded.

Even as tissue uses the best on the world market . Use Carlo Riva and in addition has all tissues that are also coming to the 300 title . Wonderful !

Now I am getting the other shirts with neck canvassed without adhesive . As it was in 1800. I can not wait to be able to show my new shirts.

The photos you see I've taken my first visit in his laboratory. They are the testimony of some of the 25 steps by hand. while the first 3 shirts as you understand by the initials are my top 3 bespoke shirt by D'Avino. As soon as I get the other 3 I'll show you ... and I'll show you even wear

I really hope I have supplied an unknown address in the hands of a great craftsman of bespoke

sangiuseppe

Reaction score
Hello Gianni,

What is the price of a shirt, excluding type of fabric and initials?

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gianni,

What is the price of a shirt, excluding type of fabric and initials?
Thank you for your question. The cost of manufacture without fabric is 120 euro .... and calculates that at that price makes the 25 steps by hand ... then you have a spectacular shirt .... all made by hand

sangiuseppe

Reaction score

Thank you for your question. The cost of manufacture without fabric is 120 euro .... and calculates that at that price makes the 25 steps by hand ... then you have a spectacular shirt .... all made by hand

Can you bring your own fabric?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is always good to find a new good shirtmaker, and his work looks really to a good level. It is interesting that they apply a mezzo punto to the collar stay sleeves and the scudetto encasing the initial, almost Finollo style, nice touches. I will play the part o the moderator again, but without repeating myself the readers can refer back to my previous post ( edit link: http://www.styleforum.net/t/282854/a-view-on-neapolitan-shirtmakers-and-hand-finishes )explains the cost associated with the hand finishes or ribattiture a mano (as even this shirts are first passed my machine and then felled and enbroidered by hand). I have also read his blog in Italian , from which I guess the OP text was inspired, and setting the sleeve into the armscye once the body has been closed (like a jacket the OP comment) is a common practice among most italian bespoke makers, certainly virtually all Neapolitan makers I have used.

In terms of price, referring back to my post, it may be in line with other less known operation where you can agreed an extra payment for the extra hand details, as if you had 270 euro for a cut of Riva (3m x 90 euro) it work out at just under 400 euro, almost in line with the Matuozzo experience a fellow member has recently reported, just to put things into perspective. But if you buy your own cut of Riva on sale in the city, it can be a good deal.

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is always good to find a new good shirtmaker, and his work looks really to a good level. It is interesting that they apply a mezzo punto to the collar stay sleeves and the scudetto encasing the initial, almost Finollo style, nice touches. I will play the part o the moderator again, but without repeating myself the readers can refer back to my previous post ( edit link: http://www.styleforum.net/t/282854/a-view-on-neapolitan-shirtmakers-and-hand-finishes )explains the cost associated with the hand finishes or ribattiture a mano (as even this shirts are first passed my machine and then felled and enbroidered by hand). I have also read his blog in Italian , from which I guess the OP text was inspired, and setting the sleeve into the armscye once the body has been closed (like a jacket the OP comment) is a common practice among most italian bespoke makers, certainly virtually all Neapolitan makers I have used.

In terms of price, referring back to my post, it may be in line with other less known operation where you can agreed an extra payment for the extra hand details, as if you had 270 euro for a cut of Riva (3m x 90 euro) it work out at just under 400 euro, almost in line with the Matuozzo experience a fellow member has recently reported, just to put things into perspective. But if you buy your own cut of Riva on sale in the city, it can be a good deal.
But I by D'Avino I made some shirts with fabric Carlo Riva but I never paid those figures. D'Avino is a shirt with 25 operations handmade fabric + Riva at 250-270 euro.

The cost is lowered because it is a very honest person and not charging 300% the cost of the fabric. This is the truth.

I hope this information will be useful.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

but thanks to you for your kindness. In my small way I'm just trying to tell my little experiences that I love to wear tailoring.

And it is appreciated. You are doing a wonderful job adding valuable content--both information and images--to this forum.

(But you should start using the spoiler function when quoting longer posts and pictures ^_^)

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And it is appreciated. You are doing a wonderful job adding valuable content--both information and images--to this forum.

(But you should start using the spoiler function when quoting longer posts and pictures ^_^)
thank you very much for your nice words. I am very happy to give my small contribution to the forum. I just try to tell my suppliers bespoke products. And for the post get better
smile.gif

Ivar

Reaction score
Some real shirt pr0n here. :inlove:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads