• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it might be useful to make a thread to post all of the new SF UI questions / tips. Seems like a popular topic right now. It's strange that I would choose this to be my first CM thread, but better late than never. (Moderators: please move to a more appropriate place if needed.)

Some nomenclature updates:

-subscriptions = watched threads
-notifications = alerts
-private messages = conversations
-B&S posts = resources

Here are some user account FYI's that I have learned so far:

-You have to close out all of your old PM's (now conversations) to make the notification number go away. You can do this by checking the box on any old conversation, selecting all, clicking the "leave conversation" option, and applying. You will need to do this for every page of conversations you have.
Administrator's note: If you LEAVE A CONVERSATION, you are gone from it, for good. You can't get back in. The other party still has access to it.

-Revisit your preferences, privacy's, & alerts. A lot has changed/been added, so you will need to reconfigure.

Some B&S FYI's, had to learn these this morning:

-Pics have to be 1MB > to upload directly (might apply to entire website).

-If you want a cover image on your resource post in the main B&S section (instead of a blank white box). You will need to add it using the "Edit Resource Image" option, under the "RESOURCE TOOLS" menu on the right of your resource page. Do not confuse this with adding more images to your resource page, that is another beast. There is a specific 250px350p limitation, so you will need to know how to edit your cover image.

-"Resource Icon" option will create a tiny thumbnail to accompany your title on your resource page. There is also a size limitation of 96px96p for it. it will auto prompt you to add this when you create a new resource post, or you can add it later using the "Edit Resource Icon" in the "RESOURCE TOOLS" menu on the right of your resource page.

-Bumping has now been replaced with the "Post Resource Update" option, located as a big blue button on the top right or as part of the same "RESOURCE TOOLS" menu on the right of your resource page. You will need to post the reason for your bump now, which is useful.

Please add your tips or questions, let's help some SF members out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread.

Has anyone figured out how to arrange the threads like the old subscription view? Or has that officially been nixed.

flvinny521

Reaction score
-You have to close out all of your old PM's (now conversations) to make the notification number go away. You can do this by checking the box on any old conversation, selecting all, clicking the "leave conversation" option, and applying. You will need to do this for every page of conversations you have.

The same can be accomplished by selecting "mark as read" as well, which will leave the conversation in your inbox for future reference.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to arrange the threads like the old subscription view? Or has that officially been nixed.

It looks like the only option right now is to expand your watched threads list, if there is no new activity in any of them. From there, there are some options from the botton left "With Selected..." menu. Hopefully they add "Thread Display Options" at the bottom of this page, like they have in the Conversations page, and main forum pages.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why am I still getting emails when posts occur in a thread? I unchecked the email box in my preferences yet I am still getting a million emails. Highly annoying.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why am I still getting emails when posts occur in a thread? I unchecked the email box in my preferences yet I am still getting a million emails. Highly annoying.

Try checking your Browsing Preferences (different from Alert Preferences) labeled as simply "Preferences" in the user menu. I had to uncheck many email boxes for various forum scenarios.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, did that. Still getting an email for every post in a thread, but now no email such as when you quoted me, which I do still have checked. Seems buggy. I guess I'll wait and see.

Do we know if all pics uploaded to the old site are forever gone?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I figured it out. Highly convoluted. If you go to your watched thread list, you can enable/disable email preferences in the lower left corner, but you still have to put a checkmark in the thread, use a dropdown menu, and hit submit to change it. Wtf, why is this so complicated? Why cannot I not just change something like that in my preferences?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we know if all pics uploaded to the old site are forever gone?

I noticed that there is now a "Galleries" section, with tons of pics. That might be where they decided to dump all of the old pics, it's hard to navigate though since I assume not many of the old images where tagged with meta-data.

I'm waiting for more B&S questions honestly, it looks like all of the old posts have been locked/archived.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I figured it out. Highly convoluted. If you go to your watched thread list, you can enable/disable email preferences in the lower left corner, but you still have to put a checkmark in the thread, use a dropdown menu, and hit submit to change it. Wtf, why is this so complicated? Why cannot I not just change something like that in my preferences?

Good solve, I guess that makes three places to update your preferences now... :D

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have asked a few times...how do change the posts per page??? i hate clicking next page...just load them all!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MOTHERFUCK. please stop emailing me thread alerts. i have checked every possible box i can find. make it stop.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOTHERFUCK. please stop emailing me thread alerts. i have checked every possible box i can find. make it stop.

Give this a try if you haven't already. Go to your "Watched Threads" page. Once you have expanded all of your threads, there should be a "Managed Watched Threads" menu near the top right:
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 12.30.01 AM.png

You should be able to disable all emails from threads from here, you can confirm by checking to see if the word "Email" shows up at the end of the left column:
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 12.35.43 AM.png

I think that this, with a combination of unchecking all of the email notification boxes in the user "Browsing Preferences" menu should do the trick:
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 12.38.35 AM.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aha. thx for the walkthrough. fingers crossed!

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HELP - I am "dazed and confused"...How can one update Item threads in B&S (price drops etc)?..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads