• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New SF User Interface Help Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
r u no longer able to edit your post after a certain period?
It's always been that way. We figure that if anyone wrote anything ill-considered, they have enough time to change it. However, the record of posts and conversation stands as an archive for present and future users. Forums are not social media, where accounts are silo'd. They are flat conversations that contain the collective memory of the community over time.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s probably better this way. Maybe someone should let CE folks know 😛

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yeah it’s probably better this way. Maybe someone should let CE folks know 😛
They know. Or at least, they ought to know. We didn't delete any of Michael Anton's posts either.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For some reason, the reply boxes are not showing up on my desktop in Chrome. Seems to work fine on mobile Chrome and Desktop IE though.
Hmmm
OS, browser version, and maybe a screenshot? That doesn't sound right...

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm
OS, browser version, and maybe a screenshot? That doesn't sound right...
Will need to check in the morning when I'm back on my work laptop, but it's Windows 7. Seemed to be working fine in the morning, but stopped working in the afternoon. Could be fixed after a reboot. We'll see in the morning.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird, so it's still happening on Chrome at work.

Windows 10 Enterprise (10.0.17763), forgot that we made the switch.
Chrome: 74.0.3729.169 (64 bit)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a small thing, but I've noticed that when a blocked member quotes you now, you get an email notification, whereas before you didn't.
Don't know if this fell through the cracks, but thought I'd see. FYI I'm still getting notifications.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another small thing--used to be the number of view for a thread was posted in an x,xxx,xxx format. (As in 148, 322) I liked that. I could see how many people viewed a thread since any given visit to the Forum. Now the format is xxxk--as in 148k.

Takes a thousand views to change that number.

At that point, it's useless info.

Still not seein who is viewing a thread at a particular moment, either. Any update on that?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Another small thing--used to be the number of view for a thread was posted in an x,xxx,xxx format. (As in 148, 322) I liked that. I could see how many people viewed a thread since any given visit to the Forum. Now the format is xxxk--as in 148k.

Takes a thousand views to change that number.

At that point, it's useless info.

Still not seein who is viewing a thread at a particular moment, either. Any update on that?
The former we can probably do. It's the 4th, and my tech staff is all on vacation (as am I - I'm just here to make sure things run smoothly), so it might be a bit. The latter is not going to happen. We did a short audit, and that that query was slowing down the system enormously. It seems like a small thing, but considering the millions of pageviews we get monthly, and the number of simultaneous queries we have going on at the same time, it slows the server side time by close to one second, which in this day and age, is a killer. So we have decided to not implement that on the forum. We once had users in alphabetical order. Now that, that literally slowed things down to a crawl.

The number of views for a thread though, yeah, I agree with that. It ought to be just a simple design fix, but I can't guarantee that until our guys get back. Sometimes, odd pieces of styling get hardcoded into the core of become inexplicably difficult to change. But we will try.

Enjoy the holiday, all.

Cheers,

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.