• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinned status, I'm a proud thread papa.

Thank you to @LA Guy guy and the SF @admin for addressing all questions. It is no easy thing to migrate to a completely new platform/server, let alone handle all inquires in the process.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinned status, I'm a proud thread papa.
Thank you to @LA Guy guy and the SF @admin for addressing all questions. It is no easy thing to migrate to a completely new platform/server, let alone handle all inquires in the process.

Thanks, messages like that mean a lot to us. I

We are a small team, and so some people have been working literally around the clock. All of last week, the US group would work while the UK group slept, and we'd hand off. So messages like this really help those who are working on all of this.

We'll continue to work to both fix things and to add needed or highly wanted features.

Cheers,

Fok.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm... We obviously didn't check every thread by hand... After we get the bigger issues fixed, we'll go back and see if we can't patch up these smaller ones. However, like you must know, we are a very small operation - one contract dev, one designer, one systems admin, and me, so we have to prioritize the big items first. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,

Fok.

No worries...I migrated a Perl forum to PHP several years ago and it was daunting. That's why I mentioned earlier on in this thread that it was hard to understand why any sane admin would willingly mess with something that was working if they didn't have to.

Think migrating from a php forum to new software that is also coded in php is hard? Try migrating from perl to php and retain all the structure, input, images and "look and feel," as well. It's like translating from Gaelic to Japanese...and it all has to be done within the constraints of the new software.

And satisfy the concerns and address the issues of users that were comfortable with the old forum. Some things are always, always lost in such a move and no one is happy.

Still smarting.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just to check in that the site was incredibly slow to load on mobile today. You may be aware of that, but I thought I'd chime in with it.

Small thing that's relatively unimportant, but is it possible at some point to highlight subscribed/watched threads? They were previously blue if you had posted in them (which are now the pinned threads), but it was nice to see the main forum page with subscriptions that would jump out at me. I avoided looking only at my subscriptions because I'd miss new threads that would be interesting. However, my watched threads get lost in the main forum pages.

I also noticed you replaced the thread creator pictures with blue dots. I was fine either way, but it's probably a cleaner look now.

Oh, and on my iPad, the cursor buttons jump the page to the bottom when I'm in a dialogue box. Is that just me or is anyone else facing that?

Thanks!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No worries...I migrated a Perl forum to PHP several years ago and it was daunting. That's why I mentioned earlier on in this thread that it was hard to understand why any sane admin would willingly mess with something that was working if they didn't have to.

Think migrating from a php forum to new software that is also coded in php is hard? Try migrating from perl to php and retain all the structure, input, images and "look and feel," as well. It's like translating from Gaelic to Japanese...and it all has to be done within the constraints of the new software.

Some things are always, always lost and no one is happy.

And satisfy the concerns and address the issues of users that were comfortable with the old forum.

Still smarting.

Looks like your signature is now centered properly!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And satisfy the concerns and address the issues of users that were comfortable with the old forum. Some things are always, always lost in such a move and no one is happy.

Still smarting.

We moved from a proprietary software platform with no documentation, on a postgreSQL database, to a mySQL based forum software. It was like putting together a puzzle where you had only a vague idea of what the picture should look like...

The dev we have doing this is THE foremost import dev for Xenforo. He has done tens of thousands of VB or IPB or other commercially available forum imports, including for major foru companies, and his work is generally impeccable (we have had him do two other forums already) and this was an entirely different beast altogether.

The designer we are working with is also considered the foremost designer for Xenforo, and he knows the system inside and out. And he is super responsive. Most of the little UX changes over the past few days have been him.

And our systems admin and I have been doing a lot of the other stuff.

We were, last week, 24 hours around the clock, literally.

Cheers,

Fok

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to check in that the site was incredibly slow to load on mobile today. You may be aware of that, but I thought I'd chime in with it.

Small thing that's relatively unimportant, but is it possible at some point to highlight subscribed/watched threads? They were previously blue if you had posted in them (which are now the pinned threads), but it was nice to see the main forum page with subscriptions that would jump out at me. I avoided looking only at my subscriptions because I'd miss new threads that would be interesting. However, my watched threads get lost in the main forum pages.

I also noticed you replaced the thread creator pictures with blue dots. I was fine either way, but it's probably a cleaner look now.

Oh, and on my iPad, the cursor buttons jump the page to the bottom when I'm in a dialogue box. Is that just me or is anyone else facing that?

Thanks!

Not sure about the last problem. I am not experiencing that, but those issues often have to do with loading in of elements after the page is functional.

The site speed should be up soon. We have increased the size of our cache considerably, and updated our php. The thing slowing down the site right now is that we are rebuilding the search index, which is a huge resource drain. We started at 4 a.m. eastern time, so hopefully that should be done soon.

re the subscribed threads being highlighted - that would probably require an add on. I'd need to look for one, and then also test the resource efficiency. We are obviously dealing with other issues right now, so if you could remind me in a few weeks, that would be great, really.

Cheers,

Fok.

ACluelessGent

Reaction score
Hi,

If you go under the "little man" icon. you can set email preferences under "preferences", and alert preferences under "alert preferences".

Cheers,

Fok,
Settings are correct. I still dont get most notifications for new posts. And sorry to say, but I had enough. I am not going to debug your sw!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No worries...I migrated a Perl forum to PHP several years ago and it was daunting
Is there anything worse than a Perl pro who isn't experienced and vested in maintainability? The incredibly functional yet impenetrable garbage they leave in their wake...

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing this with search on mobile (iPhone 6 in this case)?

IMG_7988.jpg

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Settings are correct. I still dont get most notifications for new posts. And sorry to say, but I had enough. I am not going to debug your sw!
Oh, ****. If we lose ACG, there's no point in any of us sticking around!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to adapt to whatever comes, but why so slow? Takes forever to refresh the website.

Right now, it's because the developer is messing with the images, which we think that we have now. That is 4.5 months of images, and processing them, live, while people are using the forum, takes up a ton of resources. Before that, it was the search index being rebuilt.

We have made the cache really big, and our server is enormous, as is our pipe, so we should not have issues going forward, but that is one thing that we can adjust reasonably easily if there are lag times even after the site is "normal". Right now, you will probably, if you are like me, experience blazing speeds mixed with some really slow load speeds. I apologize for that inconvenience.

We haven't found any specific element on the page that would be slowing down the render time, so we are hoping that once the devs are done with the big pieces, that everyone will have a great, speedy, experience. If not, we'll go back to the drawing board and see what else might need to be looked at.

Cheers,

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads