1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New sections for the forum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Aug 21, 2003.

1. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

I was thinking that it might be nice to add some certain sections to the forum whereby we can discuss and share certain things without annoying others reading in other sections. These are just some interests of mine and I'd like to see if others are interested enough for Steve to consider adding one or more of them. These may have already been shot down by Steve and others eons ago, I don't know, but I thought I'd throw them out here to be accepted or shot down again...

Here they are:

#1 A section where we share information on *major sales or discounts* at major stores online and offline. These could be seasonal sales, going out of business sales, BlueFly promo codes, etc. For example, this Saturday everything is 15% off marked prices at Off 5th Avenue. This allows a member to share savings with others in the forum. If you know of a sale coming up, you post it here.

#2 A section where we share information on *specific items* on eBay or elsewhere that we think other forum members might be interested in. This section could get junky fast with lots of postings from sellers, but at least they would be contained in this section. Members interested in buying from other members can go to this section to see what's on offer. Blatant commercials would be acceptable in this section only.

#3 A section where a member can post a *looking to buy* message and possibly find a member or a friend of a member who has the item and is willing to consider selling it to the member offline. Basically, it's a reverse classified ad. But, it surely would help satisfy the "needs" of some forum members who desperately want to buy something specific.

Are any of these good ideas? Why or why not?

Thanks,

2. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

I particularly like your "looking to buy section" idea. I think that would be great.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

i like all three ideas although #2 would need to be well thought out.

4. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior Member

I especially like your first idea as I am a scavenger when it comes to a sale. If there is one, I pretty much know about it here in the NYC area.

Also you could have something like City Shopping Guide. I usually end up reading the archives because the details and wealth of info posted by the men here is amazing and I learn so much, but if it were handy, say, NYC, Tokyo, Milan (you get the idea) I think it could benefit everyone.

5. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Sounds good to me. I think Steve is already working on something like this to tie into his website. Maybe the ideas can be integrated.

As an ebay seller I like the 2nd idea but I think it could be abused easily. If there were such a section I would only post items of mine that were particularly outstanding or were really great deals. And I would have no problem posting other peoples items - I already email a lot of my customers with deals I find on ebay. Maybe we could limit sellers to a (small) set number of their own items they could post per month?

6. davei

davei Senior Member

IMHO: #1: could be taken care of with a sticky post at the top that gets continually updated. No need to slog through all the posts, just the last page. #2: I'm wary for the reasons you cite, plus if I find a deal nobody's going to hear about it lest they try to snipe it before I do [​IMG] #3: interesting but I wonder about the liability issues involved. One bad deal and you're going to get mudslinging left & right. I would vastly prefer something like a "virtual closet" where one could obviously "peacock", but also have something like a "Goodwill Bin" for swaps/selling/etc. On the whole, I'd rather see everything on one board, I hate having to go to multiple boards/sections to read all the posts. I can see one of two things happening, either the idea takes off and they'll be lots of good posts on multiple boards, or each board will get cliquely and offtopic anyway. I already experience the latter on other boards I frequent. Unless you have a rabid and dedicated moderator, things can degrade quickly.

7. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I too think that the separate boards idea would be annoying. Sticky posts would work for all three.

Yes - but if you find stuff that's not your size then you can post it - that's what I do for friends via email.

Could happen but wouldn't it be worth a try? I know watch forums have programs like this. From my experiences in consignment I'll bet everyone has a TON of items they would part with that others would be thrilled to have.

8. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

I think "sticky posts" are what I had in mind here. Are those like the Hall of Fame (HOF) posts we have today?

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Guys: Little known fact: the elusive J owns the Forum, I just moderate it. I've got an e-mail in to him to discuss some of the items you mentioned, others I will bring up...All great ideas BTW... Itzamazing: Shameless Plug- my book has 200 pages of City Shopping Guides in 37 metro areas. I'm running a special 30% off for Forum members, which makes it like $14.00 or something... The Web Site (www.MensSpecialtyRetail.com) is live and being updated with at least 5 more areas and some new features by 9-15 or so. And you can also sign up for the e-zine, which will begin mailing once a month on the same date. Sorry I'm over my one post, but there's an awful lot of Jantzen Tailor stuff on here...

10. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

Maybe just combine them all into one Deals/Trading type forum, as I don't think sticky threads would be sufficient to hold them. With people asking questions about products/vendors mentioned, and the tendency of threads to get outdated relatively quickly, it seems like it would be both tedious and confusing to wade through a single thread.

Davei raises a good point about liability; generally the websites I've seen that offer a buy/sell zone take a hands-off approach and let the community moderate through a feedback type system. Perhaps if Steve B. or any of the other veteran posters had to approve members and get some basic contact info for participation in the new forum, but I have no idea how such a plan would work.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I like these ideas. Â With regard to the possibility of commercial sellers and liability, a good model is the Sales Corner on www.timezone.com -- among other things, it limits posts by sellers to 3 per day and clearly indicates that the rule of caveat emptor applies to all transactions. Â The only concern I have -- and this is probably a silly one to many other people -- is that the new forum would throw off the look of the entire board, which I like. Â (I'm only now getting used to the six divisions in Major League Baseball and don't get me started about NFL realignment.) Â Perhaps we can have a button labeled "Deals/Trading," as aybojs suggested, and put it at the top of the screen next to "Help", "Search," and "Members."

12. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Steve,

Do you know where we are on this matter?

Also, I have not yet received my book -- has it been shipped?

Thanks,

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Logan:

Haven't heard back from J. Will e-mail him again.

Books for you and rest of Forum members will go out tomorrow Priority Mail, so they should be there by Sat...
    For everyone's order that went through at regular price, I'll be crediting back through your credit card.

Thanks for the patience, I've been SWAMPED...

14. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

I would really like this idea if it worked correctly. I am not yet comfortable buying a suit off of eBay and would trust the observations of the knowledgeable members here. I doubt that there would be an overwhelming number of posts from members constantly touting their own sales. After all, how many suits could there be to sell (almost rhetorical)? I think based on the quality of posts here that it would be self-moderating and we would quickly learn who was giving helpful, honest advice.

Scott