Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Sartorialist Photo -- Workwear done right

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Dec 5, 2008.

1. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

[​IMG] I'm not the biggest fan of the whole workwear trend, but I love what the gentleman above has done with it. Instead of wearing a workwear uniform, he's made it his own. Great details from top to bottom ... the sunglasses, the bow-tie, three varying sizes of plaid, hobo gloves, brogued shoes. Great creativity and personal style here. What do you guys think? Edit: Photo was appearing before, but now it's not. Here's the direct link to the photo.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I think I'd need to see it before making an opinion.

3. GY!BE

GY!BE Senior member

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo minimalist

4. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

"Gentleman above", is he talking about moi?!!!
    Ubergentleman!

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

is that you DDML?

nothing in that pic is by accident. careful planning and shopping. probably on the internetzzz. also, getting on Sartorialist was probably his goal for 2008. mission accomplished

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

Nah, I just went over to the sartorialist and it isn't me, but the guitarist from Faith No More... [​IMG] Maybe next time dudes. Be excellent to each other.

7. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

8. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

At first glance, I love it. The wealthy gentleman does crazy old questionably homeless guy, with the denim, the glasses, the brand new jacket and those coordinated socks. But then, the bowtie/shirt underneath ruins it for me. Granted this is arguably what makes it interesting, but the outfit feels like the rich guy's trying to bust out from underneath the workwear, like all the workwear can be ripped off like warmups to reveal a brooks brothers outfit that's worn in a bit more than those brand new hobo gloves and jeans.

It's incredibly contrived, perhaps too much so... It's inventive and bold though, especially for a guy his age, and especially while rocking that hair (the beard turns into the crazy bun-slickback-beehive-ponytail-thing.

9. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

At first glance, I love it. The wealthy gentleman does crazy old questionably homeless guy, with the denim, the glasses, the brand new jacket and those coordinated socks. But then, the bowtie/shirt underneath ruins it for me. Granted this is arguably what makes it interesting, but the outfit feels like the rich guy's trying to bust out from underneath the workwear, like all the workwear can be ripped off like warmups to reveal a brooks brothers outfit that's worn in a bit more than those brand new hobo gloves and jeans. It's incredibly contrived, perhaps too much so... It's inventive and bold though, especially for a guy his age, and especially while rocking that hair (the beard turns into the crazy bun-slickback-beehive-ponytail-thing.
    I agree that it would look contrived on most anyone else, but for this dude it works. If he were young and he wore this, it wouldn't swing. But this old dude with his grizzled hair and wild beard already looks like a mountain man, albeit slightly cleaned up. That look is juxtaposed with a preppy bowtie and gingham. That is further juxtaposed against the Americana wear. It's shocking, but maybe that's why I like it so much.

10. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

[​IMG] Damn, pictures likes to escape!

11. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

Nah, I just went over to the sartorialist and it isn't me, but the guitarist from Faith No More...

He should have stopped doing drugs 20 years ago....

12. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Is he wearing a bow tie??

13. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

...the outfit feels like the rich guy's trying to bust out from underneath the workwear, like all the workwear can be ripped off like warmups to reveal a brooks brothers outfit that's worn in a bit more than those brand new hobo gloves and jeans....
    exactly,that bottom shirt and tie ruin it for me

14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I'm liking it.

The slight too much-ness at neck and ankle is one thing I enjoy about living in NY.

We can do that here.

15. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

I kind of like the ideas going on in the top half but the bottom ruins it for me. His pants are too short to be cuffed that much. I normally like cuffs but these make no practical sense and are clearly done just to show off the pink socks, which makes the whole look seem affected. I think the highwaters look can work during a warmer time of the year, but when your socks are showing because of an intentional cuff while you're wearing flannels and winter coats it's just absurd.