• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sartorial Cocktail Blog

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Thank you for viewing and the supportive e-mails that you have sent.

Last edited:

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I wanted to give a specail thank you to the SF community for your support.

There have already been over 1500 page views in the first week, and I have already been contacted by a well-known men's designer (will reveal when the details are finalized) about using some of the blog posts on his site!

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! :)
Keep it going, I'm enjoying it a lot.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I was wondering who in Germany was reading! Please let me know which drinks you have tried. Glad you are enjoying.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted it in the WAYDRN thread. I've had two or three versions of Manhattan [different Bourbons: Four Roses, Elijah Craig 12 (and will try Booker's today -- or probably not, just reviewed your post and you write it's too extreme. I can definitely see that, lol)], different bitters (Angostura normal/orange, TBT Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter/Xcocolatl/Creole/Orange/Celery/Old Time Aromatic at hand), with and without Scotch (Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist). I'm quite new to the Bourbon (and therefore Manhattan) world so I guess I'll try the next ones without the Scotch rinse to get a better feeling for the bourbon part, but the Scotch indeed adds a new layer to the drink.

Of course, I've had The Last Word and Aviation -- the TLW recipe is classic, so no need to comment on that (edit: Of course I'm a big fan of it, I love Chartreuse (especially the élixir). I just saw that you use Beefeater 24. I've had so-so experience with it. The nose is a delight in comparison to the regular Beefeater, much more going on there. However, the aftertaste burned quite a bit whereas the regular doesn't). I have my Aviations with Crème de Violette though. I like a good Martinez so I'll try your Martinez but I only have Carpano A.

Sazerac -- I've only had it with Cognac so far, because I'm a complete blank w/r/t Rye.

The Vesper Martini was ok, but I'm no fan of Gin/Vodka/Dry or Blanc Vermouth in general.

The Improved Tequila Cocktail was ok, too. I used Sauza Hornitos Reposado. Maybe I'll try it again with brown tequila (or is this a no-go? I don't know, but I much prefer the taste of dark Tequila).

I'm out of Vodka at the moment, so I didn't have a Moscow Mule but a London Buck instead - great! (5cl London Dry Gin, 2cl lemon juice, 20cl ginger beer)

I'd like to try the Bobby Burns, but I don't have Bénédictine. One of my favorite cocktails actually is a Scotch cocktail -- Blood and Sand. Simply prepared with Carpanto Antico, Guignolet de Dijon (definitely need to get some) and a good Scotch to taste at Le Lion. Plain awesomeness.

Last edited:

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
If you have Carpano for your Martinez, try it with an Old Tom Gin (link Ransom). They work well together for that drink.

I too enjoy a Blood and Sand - sounds like we should go drinking sometime!

Will definitely try your London Buck recipie (I do a Mississippi Buck version with bourbon).

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have Carpano for your Martinez, try it with an Old Tom Gin (link Ransom). They work well together for that drink.
I too enjoy a Blood and Sand - sounds like we should go drinking sometime!
Will definitely try your London Buck recipie (I do a Mississippi Buck version with bourbon).

I do have quite a few spirits and liquors, but I'm sitll missing a lot. Just have Beefeater for gin (well, it's almost empty again, might get some Tanqueray next).

If you ever come to Hamburg (or Maastricht), shoot me a pm! ;)

I haven't had any other ginger beer cocktail so far, so I can't say that it's better than a Moscow Mule (but I figure as much, I'm just no fan of Vodka, it doesn't add much other than % to a drink, imo). I used Thomas Henry Ginger Beer (called "Spicy Ginger" now -- it's risky to sell it as "Ginger Beer" in Germany/EU because it technically is no beer :)rolleyes:) without legal consequences). Thomas Henry is a new German start up that produces ginger beer, tonic water, bitter lemon etc. for about 1-1.25€/bottle. Fentiman's, if you can actually get it (it's hardly sold in Germany because they have problems importing it due to "Pfand" regulations (you pay a "deposit" when you, e.g., buy a can/bottle of soda and get the money back when you return the can/bottle)), is like 2€ for 125ml and the 1724 tonic water is 2,50€ (but it's definitely worth a try, much different, more floral/fruity flavor); so TH is rather reasonably priced and decent in taste. (edit: I just had another one. Apparently, I used ginger ale the first time, which is much smoother and less spicy/hot than ginger beer. The use of ginger ale resulted in a "rounder" and more balanced taste but at the same time a little flat one. The ginger beer is interesting too because it has more character due to its spicyness. Works well with gin, too. I guess this also depends on the producer of the ginger ale/beer in general though)

Just had a Manhattan with 2oz Elijah Craig 12yo (how do you like it? I think it's ok, have had the 18yo once and liked it quite a bit, but the 12yo is lacking something.. then again, it's "just" about 20€ per bottle and not as sweet/vanilla-y as Four Roses, so I think it's decent value. How would you describe the taste of Rowan's Creek in comparison to Elijah Craig 12/Four Roses/Booker's?), 1 oz Carp. A., 1 dash each of TBT bitters: Orange, Jerry Thomas' and Old time Aromatics (I generally think less is more but the TBT are rather light in bitterness so I think 3 dashes are ok). I added two Luxardo maraska cherries as garnish. It was a little too sweet which I think originated from the syrup of the Luxardo cherries -- until now I used Paul Devoille's Griotte cherries (Kirschwasser), which are, imo, much much better, i.e. less sweet, better (and more supporting) flavor due to the Kirschwasser. If you ever see them, give them a chance! Other than that, it was delicious.
I'll try rinsing the Luxardo ones next time.

Damn, sorry for all the () today, I hope it's somewhat bareable to read.

Last edited:

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of Elijah Craig 12 (except maybe in a Goldrush). For a Manhattan, I prefer Bulleit or Templeton Rye and for bourbons I generally stick with Maker's 46, Woodford Reserve, Rowan's Creek (it is a more palatable and less burning version of Noah's Mill), and red label Black Maple Hill.

I agree that Luxardo are overly sweet. My suggestion is to pat dry them with a paper towel to get off the syrup or make your own brandy-soaked cherries.

For your giner beer drink - try a Dark & Stormy - 2 1/2 oz. Gosling's Dark Rum, 1/2 oz. lime juice, fill remainder of highball with crushed ice and ginger beer (I like Fenterman's or Ginger People).

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a huge fan of Elijah Craig 12 (except maybe in a Goldrush). For a Manhattan, I prefer Bulleit or Templeton Rye and for bourbons I generally stick with Maker's 46, Woodford Reserve, Rowan's Creek (it is a more palatable and less burning version of Noah's Mill), and red label Black Maple Hill.
I agree that Luxardo are overly sweet. My suggestion is to pat dry them with a paper towel to get off the syrup or make your own brandy-soaked cherries.
For your giner beer drink - try a Dark & Stormy - 2 1/2 oz. Gosling's Dark Rum, 1/2 oz. lime juice, fill remainder of highball with crushed ice and ginger beer (I like Fenterman's or Ginger People).

Do you have a favorite recipe for the Goldrush? One blog says 2oz Bourbon, 1oz honey syrup, 0.75 oz lemon juice.
Is an old school Savoy cocktail book a good investment? I mean, other than the classic value. There's a '31 edition (made for Booth Gin) on eBay right now. 7 days to go, I may be bidding; condition is ok, just yellowed pages.

So, I got some Bénédicitine today. (and some Tanqueray; I think I prefer Beefeater. I'll probably try Broker's Gin next time. What's your favorite in the low-end mixing range?)
Of course I tried the Bobby Burns (stupid name). It was quite good, the scotch + Carpano Antico reminded me a lot of Blood b& Sand (which I definitely prefer :p). I used JW Black. Some blog said that it's even better with Drambuie instead of Bénédictine. It's good, too, but I prefer the Bénédicitine. While I like Drambuie a lot, it just doesn't add enough to make it a very good drink.

I've had a Dark & Stormy at Le Lion. It was good. I'll have one tomorrow and will report back. Generally, I prefer non-"longdrinks" though.

Last edited:

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I have found that if you use a diluted honey syrup a ration of 5 parts bourbon, 2 parts honey syrup, and 2 parts lemon juice works best. If, for instance, you are using one of the new honey bourbons, you should decrease the honey syrup to .5 -. 75 oz (per your taste). But really depends on the honey you use. I have found that straight agave nectar also works and is not too sweet.

A Bobby Burns with Drambuie is a poor subsitute. Stick with the Benedictine.

SD1

Reaction score
You were correct on the Smoky martini re: using gin. I used Death's Door gin, which is very floral, and Laphroaig. Didn't quite work out. Will try vodka.

However Death's Door gin did work very well in a Martinez.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You were correct on the Smoky martini re: using gin. I used Death's Door gin, which is very floral, and Laphroaig. Didn't quite work out. Will try vodka.
However Death's Door gin did work very well in a Martinez.

death´s door gin is an old tom gin?

SD1

Reaction score

death´s door gin is an old tom gin?

No. I deviated from the usual recipe, though I have seen Martinez recipes that call for regular gin.

Regardless, it was tasty and well balanced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads