• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Samuelsohn MTM suit fit - advice?

dlj02000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a really long time since I was last hanging around here...proud owner of three suits by Thick As Thieves, but all were purchased many, many years ago and I've been eager to try the Samuelsohn MTM experience at a really nice men's clothing store near my house.

Here's the finished product after two further rounds of tailoring at the store. I really like it, but there's a few things I've noticed that are different from the Thick As Thieves cut, and I'm getting used to these differences. One is that the breast pocket on the Samuelsohn is about 1.5" lower on the jacket than the breast pocket on the Thick as Thieves jackets. I think it still looks fine, but I'm a short guy and want to make sure it doesn't look out of whack as I'm used to a higher breast pocket. The armholes are also not cut quite as high & tight, but I think it's still acceptable - I'm certainly not swimming in it. Finally - the bottom of the jacket seems to be at more of a sharp angle than I'm used to, but I'm getting used to it. I guess I'm used to that part of the jacket (the skirt?) being more of a gradual curve than a sharper angle.

Overall...what do you think? Any further alterations you'd make? Does the height of the breast pocket look OK, and how about the armholes?

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 403

Ben W

Reaction score
There are a few things I spotted:
  • The rotation of the sleeves looks to be a bit off. When you are standing straight and looking at yourself from the side there shouldn't be any wrinkling at the top of the sleeve, like you have in photo #2. It isn't off by a lot, and it is a major job to fix, so probably not worth while.
  • The button stance looks high especially when compared with the rise of the trousers. Are the trousers cut to be worn at the natural waist (at or just below the navel)? You have a large gap between the top button of the jacket and the top of the trouser waist. This probably cannot be fixed at this stage.
  • The jacket is too short. It should cover your rear-end completely. Again this probably cannot be fixed at this stage.
The breast pocket looks to be at a good level for you. I'm not sure I see what you are talking about with the angle of the skirt, so that is probably fine too. The armholes don't seem unreasonable as long as you have the freedom of motion that you'd expect to have. Overall I would not be unhappy with this suit, but I think those are the things I'd keep in mind for the next one.

dlj02000

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Appreciate your feedback. Had noticed the sleeve thing as well - just on the left one, not the right one, for some reason. Definitely agree with you - seems minor and not worth a huge hassle.

As far as the length of the jacket, given that I'm a short guy, I always err on the side of having the jacket be slightly on the short side as well - even though it does technically violate the "rules," I just feel more comfortable that way.

I think you're right on about the button stance - something had seemed slightly off but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now that you've pointed it out, I see what you mean. Again, not a major issue but if I do Samuelsohn MTM again I'll definitely make sure it gets addressed with the next suit.

Thanks again - really appreciate your expertise!

Ben W

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Appreciate your feedback. Had noticed the sleeve thing as well - just on the left one, not the right one, for some reason. Definitely agree with you - seems minor and not worth a huge hassle.

As far as the length of the jacket, given that I'm a short guy, I always err on the side of having the jacket be slightly on the short side as well - even though it does technically violate the "rules," I just feel more comfortable that way.

I think you're right on about the button stance - something had seemed slightly off but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now that you've pointed it out, I see what you mean. Again, not a major issue but if I do Samuelsohn MTM again I'll definitely make sure it gets addressed with the next suit.

Thanks again - really appreciate your expertise!

Happy to help! I get what you're saying about the jacket length. Ultimately it's about what you're comfortable with and confident in. If you prefer it shorter there's nothing wrong with that. The difficulty I see is that a lot of tailors have picked up on the trend of shorter jackets and are doing it even where it doesn't make sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads