New Robert Talbott tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jayd77, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jayd77

jayd77 Member

Just picked up a new tie that is multicolored and was looking for advise on what a good choice of shirt would be to pair with. The tie is mostly black. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

3. jayd77

jayd77 Member

Thanks but I didn't ask for your opinion if you liked it or not. I'm pleased with the tie.

I'm new to this forum and it seems like a lot of people on here have attitudes. IMHO

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I'm sorry I wouldn't pair that tie with anything either.

I doubt many longtime members will like that tie. It's just not preferred by the forum. Too busy, too geometric, too many colors, and too shiny.

If you're not going to listen to any one, what's the point of even asking?

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It's not attitude, it's knowledge of what works and a desire to help you. Most longer-term members here know what they are talking about and if they think you are making a mistake, they will tell you, and they are usually right. This really isn't the place to come if you are going to be defensive about your choices and offended when someone tells you that they don't like something.

6. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

So you want advice, but you don't want it influenced by notions of style or good taste. I suggest you wear that tie with either a black or a maroon shirt, preferably sateen.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. books and tweed

books and tweed Senior member

Opinions on the tie aside, I think your best bet is to stick with solid, simple colors in both the shirt and jacket. White with a navy suit, or perhaps charcoal.

8. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+2

+2

It depends a bit on your professional environment, but unless you work in a hair salon or a vintage car department, you better avoid that tie.

9. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

...my eyes

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That tie is about as far from SF-approved as a tie can get - you have to understand - these guys work up a frothy drool over dark grenadines in burgundy and brown. Bright colour = bad. Almost any pattern = bad. Shine = bad. Combining all three = shitkicking.

While I find the tie-approval zone unduly narrow here, I have to agree with the general recommendation that this one should be put in a dark place and left there. I really can't think of a way to make it work. Sorry. Stick around and you will make much better selections going forward - I can pretty much guarantee it.

11. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

I am going to have to agree with you. You asked what to wear this tie with, not what everyone thought about the tie. Telling you they would never wear the tie ever isn't very constructive and doesn't even answer the question you asked. Everyone has their own taste, which is the reason they make ties like that. You were not being defensive, you were letting someone know you didn't ask for an opinion on the tie.

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

If you want to wear the tie, you might try it with a light blue solid shirt (or one that resolves to solid quickly). Solid pink might work as well although the orange and yellow in the tie may not work with pink. I think that tie with a plain white would be too stark of contrast but might be a viable option in the context of what you are asking.

13. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

^^ Wear with slim black suit and black shirt. No, I am not even joking. Only appropriate if you go clubbing tho.

Yes, I know I just necro'd a thread.