• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RL Polo

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think? New look for Polo?
pPOLO2-1956954_standard_dt.jpg
Jon.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The graphic is beautiful, but I'm ignorant of its meaning. Does it say "$75"?

The "RL" watermark or whatever is tacky appropriation.

I wouldn't wear it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I refuse to move this thread...

I can't read Chinese, but it would be great if the wording was "I am a man who sells my buttocks for money".  I would buy one for my brother (who doesn't read Chinese either).

imo, shirts that have Chinese (faux or otherwise) writing on them (from Polo, no less) are one rung lower than faux vintage t-shirts from Urban Outfitters.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would buy clothing featuring prominent writing in a language they don't understand. This also applies to the mangled Engrish on Japanese products. Even worse are tattoos in nonsensical or backwards characters.

LA Guy, during the "kamikaze" shirt craze of the mid-80s, a guy I know screened some shirts and headbands with the rising sun emblem and Japanese phrases like "stupid tourist" or "I have diarrhea." He was trying to get someone with a store on Hollywood Boulevard to sell them, though I don't know if they ever did.

Personally I want to publish a book of tattoo designs. If someday you run across a girl with a lower back tattoo of the characters for "entrance" pointing down, you'll know she bought my book.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would buy clothing featuring prominent writing in a language they don't understand. This also applies to the mangled Engrish on Japanese products. Even worse are tattoos in nonsensical or backwards characters.

LA Guy, during the "kamikaze" shirt craze of the mid-80s, a guy I know screened some shirts and headbands with the rising sun emblem and Japanese phrases like "stupid tourist" or "I have diarrhea." He was trying to get someone with a store on Hollywood Boulevard to sell them, though I don't know if they ever did.

Personally I want to publish a book of tattoo designs. If someday you run across a girl with a lower back tattoo of the characters for "entrance" pointing down, you'll know she bought my book.
LOL. I was think something more like the word 'insert' pointing down.

Jon.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I guess I am the only person on this forum who would wear that shirt.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could see wearing an actual t-shirt from Tokyo or Beijing that looked something like that, but buying an (overpriced) Polo imitation of what should be the provence of street vendors? No thanks. Most of my faith in Mr. Lauren's stylistic consistancy was shot by these:
pPOLO2-1829385_standard_v330.jpg
pPOLO2-1828735_standard_v330.jpg

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(retronotmetro @ April 21 2005,18:16) I don't know why anyone would buy clothing featuring prominent writing in a language they don't understand. Â This also applies to the mangled Engrish on Japanese products. Â Even worse are tattoos in nonsensical or backwards characters. LA Guy, during the "kamikaze" shirt craze of the mid-80s, a guy I know screened some shirts and headbands with the rising sun emblem and Japanese phrases like "stupid tourist" or "I have diarrhea." Â He was trying to get someone with a store on Hollywood Boulevard to sell them, though I don't know if they ever did. Personally I want to publish a book of tattoo designs. Â If someday you run across a girl with a lower back tattoo of the characters for "entrance" pointing down, you'll know she bought my book.
LOL. I was think something more like the word 'insert' pointing down. Jon.
Guys, Those are both very clever. And so darned appropriate. Thanks for the laugh.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Absolutely disgusting. It's such a joke displaying something that you don't even know what it means. I kid you not - a friend of mine got a tattoo that even the tattoo artist was not aware it had a second meaning: "take it **********." Whoever made that stencil is a genius.

seok

Reaction score
my friend tells me that the large print says something to the effect of "yellow elegant building." (in order of the characters). the small print below says "travelling hourse." (some sort of a polo horse euphemism?)

...i can think of other places to spend the money...

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I have those pants in blue with the ponies all over them and always get lots of compliments when I wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads