1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New RL coupon and private sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by metkirk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Sufficiently big to have produced two beautiful daughters. [​IMG]

By the way, the mystery of the Darlton vs. Marlow deepens. I just noticed on the invoice that came with the cordovan wingtip, that it says "Darlton wingtip shoe".

crazy.

this is the part in the movie where the Psycho screeching music comes on all of a sudden.

2. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Just got them in, they sure do look nice them Darltons/Marlow (Marlow on shoe box, and Darltons on the reciept)!![​IMG]
    They is a keeper whichever way you look at it!![​IMG]

Regards.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Darlton is obviously the new name for these, Marlow is the old one.

To make things even more dumb, I can see that they put a "Marlow" sticker label over another older sticker. What does it say on the older sticker? I can make it out, it still says "Marlow". Different item # though.

Mine has a sticker with my name on the bottom of the box. It's like it was made for me!!! [​IMG]

4. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

I just received my "Darlton" shell cordovan pennyloafers, and I must say, they are a bit of a let down.

I like the other C&J-made Polo shoes I bought from the private sale and GVH: the Benton, the Langford, the Sheldon, and the Chawner.

In comparison, I think the Darlton pennyloafers I just received are not as well made. First, the two shoes are of noticeably different shades of dark brown. The sockliners are only half-liners, and one of them is already coming apart. There are several glue marks inside the shoes, for that matter.

The soles are not channeled. The coloring (dyeing?) is not uniform (and I don't mean the burnished look) -- there are black dots here and there. I would even say that these seem to be not as well made as my Polo Charlton pennyloafers (Italian-made, $345 retail compared to $600 for the Darlton).

I might hold onto them until A. Testoni (black label) loafers and Sutor Mantellassi split toes arrive from Sierra Trading in a week to determine whether they are a good value at $300, the shell cordovan notwithstanding.

By the way, my Darltons were also labelled as Marlowe. There is another sticker underneath the top one bearing the name and price, but I can't read it.

5. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

My Right Darlton shell wingtip is lighter shade of brown(perfect) than the left shoe. I would like to make the left shoe lighter to match the right shoe....

Any ideas on how to make the left shoe a shade lighter to match the right?

Regards.

6. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I just received my "Darlton" shell cordovan pennyloafers, and I must say, they are a bit of a let down.

You sound pretty disappointed, you should return them. These shoes aren't the be all end all of shoes, they are probably just a step above alden shells.

I saw the loafers at Stanford RL tonight, just a few hours ago, and I wouldn't buy them either for $300.

For me the wingtips are an ultimate of a certain style, something I have been looking for. Blucher+CJ+shell+brown+double sole, etc.

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The color differences are actually the natural charm of shell cordovan. It takes upwards of 6 months to dye this material, so variations in color, provided they are not too far off, should be expected.

It may be helpful to give them a LIGHT wax buff, using the Alden #8 paste wax.

8. saint

saint Senior member

I had the Chicago store hold a pair of Darlton/Marlow wingtips and penny loafers. The wingtips are great, and I kept them. But I, too, was disappointed with the loafers and didn't end up buying them.

The dark brown cordovan is beautiful, and even in a large size I don't find the wingtips to be "boat like" at all.

9. Luckyguy

Luckyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, guys. I just received the confirmation email of my order of a Darlton penny loafer.[​IMG] I have been wearing my Darlton shell wing tip for exactly two years now and enjoyed them comfortably.

I take it that most of you do not like the penny loafer as much as the wingtip mainly because you like the style of the WT better than the PL. The contruction of the two cannot be that much different, can it?

10. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I think the finishing on my penny loafers is sloppier than that on the wingtips. There is aslo a fair difference in shade between the left and right shoe. Having said that, I think they're a decent deal for $300. The only real alternative if you want a cordovan loafer is the Alden LHS for $500. I've had mine for maybe two years and have gotten plenty of use from them. And, of course, they get better looking with age.

11. Sartorially Challenged

I am regretting not getting the Darlton wingtips instead of the penny loafers.

I saw the wingtips at a RL store and, at the time, the style did not suit me. But the quality seemed good (certainly good enough for me). Based on that impression, I ordered the penny loafers from polo.com. I figured "different style, but same quality and material."

Now, I must agree with the assessment that the penny loafers are not made as well as the wingtips. Oh, well.

12. CodeRed

CodeRed Senior member

I jut got the wing tips and the loafers. Sure the WTs are much more detailed (read awesome), but at the discount price the loafers are really great too.

I wore them today and I really like the simplicity of the shoe. I also have the C&J Henley which is fully lined, but I think that I prefer the Darlton as far as a casual loafer goes. Both will only get better with age, just make sure to size down 1/2 on the loafer since they will stretch over time.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I received my Darlton loafers Wednesday. I was very pleased with them and actually more impressed than I thought I would be. I bought the wingtips and plain toe blucher a couple of years ago and continue to enjoy them both.

14. Sartorially Challenged

I wore them today and I really like the simplicity of the shoe. I also have the C&J Henley which is fully lined, but I think that I prefer the Darlton as far as a casual loafer goes. Both will only get better with age, just make sure to size down 1/2 on the loafer since they will stretch over time.
    I like the look of the Henleys, especially the location of the top stitching -- somewhat similar to the Langford, which I own and like.

15. Sartorially Challenged

Both will only get better with age, just make sure to size down 1/2 on the loafer since they will stretch over time.
    ???

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.
    alot darker and richer than what i expected as the one in the store was a few years old and has worn down in color i guess.

these are so sweet. absolutely brand-spanking new as well , still has cardboard inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

these do not look like a $354 shell shoe. these are worth its full retail at $700

17. robin

robin Senior member

Indeed. I regret not buying them now. [​IMG]

18. Sartorially Challenged

The wingtips, do they have full sock liners or 2/3 (or half)?

19. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

[​IMG]
    got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.
    alot darker and richer than what i expected as the one in the store was a few years old and has worn down in color i guess.

these are so sweet. absolutely brand-spanking new as well , still has cardboard inside.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

these do not look like a $354 shell shoe. these are worth its full retail at $700

Shoe, mine were brand spanking new also, just the varying shades of beautiful brown cordovan. I wore them last night, and after seeing your picture....will wear them again tonight. They look damn good!!![​IMG]

Regards.

20. tntele

tntele Member

I know that sizing has been addressed before, but I have not seen their sizing compared to Alden. I wear an 11D in the barrie last, so do I need an 11D in this shoe or an 11.5D? Thanks!