1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New RL coupon and private sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by metkirk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

show us your soles!

got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Almost a Budapest toebox; old Vass would be happy for all of us.

got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I know that sizing has been addressed before, but I have not seen their sizing compared to Alden. I wear an 11D in the barrie last, so do I need an 11D in this shoe or an 11.5D? Thanks!

if you wear a 11D on barrie last, you should get a 11.5 on this as these size true.

the sockliner is half sockliner. not full sockliner.

here is a photo of the soles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I have some Barrie last Aldens in 9.5 (model 911, 908)and I got these in 9.5 as well, they fit the same to me. Just to confuse it further.

And they are indeed poor man's Vass, as I said earlier, they are kinda chunky, yet kinda curvy, and all sexy...

5. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

[​IMG] I actually did not like mine and sold these some time ago. They're just too bulky and didn't fit with any of my work suits. Maybe they fit better for someone who wears country lifestyle outfits or jeans. I like my Alden AF41 a lot better: [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Tarmac, i agree with you they are sexily shaped while thickly constructed,

but i disagree with you they are the poor man's vass.

i think these deserve to be in a grouping all to their own. on the same level of vass.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Oh come on!!! You'd rather have some black alden moc stitch? what's this world coming to??

Shoe you are right. These are on the level of some british countryside design which has remained unchanged for 200 years. I don't know if that's true but that's the feeling I get...

8. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

the sockliner is half sockliner. not full sockliner.
    Do other folks have the experience of having half liners come apart really quickly? Sometimes even before wearing the shoes?

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Do other folks have the experience of having half liners come apart really quickly? Sometimes even before wearing the shoes?

Nope, not at all. Which shoes have they come loose?

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

ive only seen the half sock liner peeling back on sub premium shoes like bruno magli, hugo boss, armani, etc.

from dealing with them selling new on ebay. my own shoes including this marlow i have not had that happen. the marlow is brand new by the way.

11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway? I've had it happen on some polo Italian lines and some bally shoes.

12. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I actually did not like mine and sold these some time ago. They're just too bulky and didn't fit with any of my work suits. Maybe they fit better for someone who wears country lifestyle outfits or jeans.

I like my Alden AF41 a lot better:

I love these shoes. It's one of the few for which I would happily pay full retail. Unfortunately Adam has no size 12 left and will not be ordering any more. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd wear it with a suit.

13. saint

saint Senior member

I know opinions vary on the need to polish cordovan, but I always like to polish new shoes before wearing them. What color/brand of polish are other forum members using on their Darltons? Also, has anyone used EG polish on cordovan? Its great on calfskin, but I'm not sure if it would be good for cordovan.

14. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

cordovan is one leather you really don't want to polish before wearing. You can see there is already a lot of wax residue on the darltons from the burnishing, you should just brush it a little and wear them. Keep polishing to a minum.

15. Sartorially Challenged

Nope, not at all. Which shoes have they come loose?
    The first time I tried on my Darlton penny loafers and then took them off, the sockliner inside the right shoe started to peel off. I think it was already loose or badly glued. That particular shoe actually has glue marks all over inside. Bad QC, I think. It is also lighter in color than the left shoe.

I've had this happen with Italian-made Polo shoes, a pair of Brooks Brothers loafers (also Italian made) and a pair of Alfred Sargeant boots. But it took some time and wear before it happened.

With these Darltons, it just happened right away.

16. Sartorially Challenged

What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway? I've had it happen on some polo Italian lines and some bally shoes.
    But does it not indicate poor workmanship or QC? (Or poor fit in other cases.)

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

it just means the manufacturer probably doesnt use a good glue (but indirectly that does fall in line with the quality of a certain manufacturer's product. if they use less quality cheap glue, they may be using cheap stuff somewhere else as well, 'tip of the iceberg' scenario) .

one shoe i just dropped a bit of super glue on the end of a q tip and rubbed it under the curled part and layed it flat and stayed down permanently.

sometimes, customers may have abused the shoe by trying on a shoe too small or something was sticky on their socks, pulling/curling back the sockliner when they pull their feet out. i see this on alot of shoes at the Nordstrom Rack.

also, the Rack puts stickers on the sockliner. once you peel off the sticker, it leaves a very sticky imprint. i usually wipe it off with alchohol, but if you dont, the sticky imprint sticks to your sock and when you pull out your feet that will also loosen the sockliner.

18. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I'm not sure if there is a "cigar" color WAX polish specifically made for the Alden cigar-colored shell cordovans, like they do specifically for #8. If there is, this would probably be the safest bet for the brownish Polo Darltons.

I use #8 Alden wax polish on both of my Polo shell cordovan penny loafer and wingtips. The color is close enough. Trick is to use the bare minimum. As someone already said, the leather itself is saturated with wax as part of the dying process that had taken 6 months.

On average, I'll give each new shell cordovan shoe a very very light first polish prior to wear, then just brush after that. Also a very slightly dampened cloth to lightly buff. I rewax after about 15 wears. NONE of my shell shoes have been worn 15 times yet.

19. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

20. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Could you guys keep me posted on any sales, discount codes, etc. for RL stores for 8-9 December? I'm going to be in Phoenix, and would like to check out a purple label suit or sportcoat. Is it possible to find a retail suit at $2600, and get markdowns from there? Do the Saks or NM in Scottsdale carry a good selection of RLPL?

I guess this trip I will also have to check out Off 5th and NM last call, in Tempe on my way to Scottsdale.