• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New Republic" clothiers of New York

Mordechai

Reaction score
Hi,
I worked at New republic for a few years. In fact, til they closed. We did change the label a few times. The last being with the logo of the statue. (thom said GQ or conde nast stole it years later).

Mordechai

Reaction score
wow mack, thanks so much for telling us about that interview with thomas oatman! I heard him tell his story a thousand times and never get bored hearing him talk. He's the coolest dude around. Those images were from a fashion show we did. Tracy Feith was a model.

Mordechai

Reaction score
Hi,
I worked at New republic for a few years. In fact, til they closed. We did change the label a few times. Or trousers, outerwear each had their own label at times.

NewRepublicTWO

Reaction score
A friend forwarded this to me today
Not a social media being so not sure the origin/time of your enquiry
or how this site works but that said ... I was the designer/owner of N R C
Happy to verify any finds you make in the future
Additionally I have many pieces for sale depending on size ...
Many one of a kind samples / runway /one off things if you would be interested
Anyway enjoyed your odd remembrance of another time and place
Best regards and Cheers !
Thomas Oatman

futuro

Reaction score
I have enormous affection for the memory of New Republic clothiers of New York. This was a store in SoHo in the 80s and 90s at 93 Spring Street, with wonderful imported furnishings, plus shirts and suits designed by the owner in a wonderfully eccentric, Anglo-American way, somewhere in the Paul Stuart/Paul Smith orbit but with more open reference to/reverence of previous eras, like the early 60s and the 40s. I have actually paid for this affection in blood: Â in the summer of 1989, when my brother were walking down Broadway and had to get to the west side of SoHo, I chose for us to cut across Spring Street so I could look in the New Republic shop windows. Â Some steps after we did, a gang overtook us and we were horribly assaulted. The store closed in 1999, at which time I could only afford to buy a few pair of gloves: Â one in black leather and lined in plaid wool, and the other of white heavy cotton knit but with black leather on the palms and on the inside of the fingers. But now, on ebay (new slogan: "Worse Than Crack"), I search for items of this label. I think I've found a new one, but I'm not sure, and call upon you rag mavens to help me. The standard New Republic label looks like this: New Republic shirt I recommend it to anyone who takes that size. But now, in my size, I have found this pair of pants: Mystery Pants The pants have a label that reads "New Republic" but of an entirely different graphic design. Every New Republic garment I have seen from the SoHo store had a label like that of the shirt. Â Was there ever another design, or are the pants merely made by someone, somewhere who shared the same name?

futuro

Reaction score
My favorite store from the time it opened in Greene to when it closed on Spring. Epic style. Thank you for the memories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads