• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Raphael suit (not mine)

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button stance, collar, overall balance look impeccable. But that's it.
Other than that I personally think that I can almost agree with the Canali comparison.

However, more important is the fact that he needs more hair and then an actual hair cut
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Button stance, collar, overall balance look impeccable. But that's it.
Other than that I personally think that I can almost agree with the Canali comparison.

However, more important is the fact that he needs more hair and then an actual hair cut
smile.gif

Hans cut?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alright...I'm off to the gym.

I don't want anyone to break this thread while I am gone.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You zigged where I was hoping people would zag.

I think that the Raph is about ten times the price, and naturally, it is fit much better and made with a much finer hand. The parallel I was trying to draw was in the overall style...which some in this thread have called generic, what you call hybridized, what Carl called a very NYC sort of finance suit...and what I call the ruined 80s look.

At a certain point, technical correctness and style merge, no? It's hard for me to see these two as being of a similar overall style when they are executed so differently. Is the shoulder line of the RTW example an incorrect attempt to achieve what my friend has, or simply a less tasteful aesthetic choice? I'm not sure we can ever say for sure on many such matters.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd

Though it looks as though the front was cut away a great deal, it was not- it was cut fairly straight.
Observe the stripes- if the balance and fit is correct, they should hang parallel to each other below the waist. They do not. whnay's stance is fairly neutral in the staircase photo yet the fronts gape terribly. They should not.[/I]

Very astute observation/explanation, I detect you are on to something. I thought this depth of technical analysis was only available on the "advanced forum". If this jacket were unbuttoned I think the fronts would be so open you could see the front trouser pockets.[IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It's definitely a romp.
smile.gif

Screenshot of the drawn pattern to which Edwin referred in his LL post that I quote earlier in this thread:

289vdpf.jpg

- B

My first tailor, was a little southern Italian chap, not a Neapolitan, he came from Bari. He did his formal training at a school in the north, it may have been Bologna I can't recall exactly where but I do remember it was in the north. He used to use exactly the same technique that Alden describes in that thread, that is after taking measures he would take down a stock pattern he himself had created previously, place it on the cloth and manipulate the pattern. He never created an individualised pattern for his customers as he had nowhere to store them, when the customer ordered another suit he would just run through the same process again. For him the key stage was the fitting of the garment, in this area he was meticulous. Sadly, he has left this mortal coil to ply his trade in that great Sartoria in the sky. He is much missed.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
My first tailor, was a little southern Italian chap, not a Neapolitan, he came from Bari. He did his formal training at a school in the north, it may have been Bologna I can't recall exactly where but I do remember it was in the north. He used to use exactly the same technique that Alden describes in that thread, that is after taking measures he would take down a stock pattern he himself had created previously, place it on the cloth and manipulate the pattern. He never created an individualised pattern for his customers as he had nowhere to store them, when the customer ordered another suit he would just run through the same process again. For him the key stage was the fitting of the garment, in this area he was meticulous. Sadly, he has left this mortal coil to ply his trade in that great Sartoria in the sky. He is much missed.

Much truth in your comments. I have said this before but I'll say it again. It's what happens after the suit is cut that matters. Fittings are essential.

There are really great tailors from this part of Italy. One of my best friends is from Bari. Probably the most intuitive, naturally talented tailor I have ever known.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Your friend's used car salesman haircut is what kills the look.

The suit is a great looking normal suit -- a politician's suit. I don't think a similar look couldn't be achieved with a Paul Stuart suit at 1/5 the price, but I think he still looks good (excluding the hair). Shoes are also an issue.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said this today:
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ultimately, I think the expectations for bespoke are too high around here. There is nothing magical about it. I don't think successful bespoke will necessarily jump leaps and bounds beyond excellent-fitting RTW; the differences tend to be fine and nuanced, not earth shattering.
You had this exchange with Bounder a few days ago in the RSS thread:
Originally Posted by Bounder
I think we fundamentally disagree on the "purpose" of bespoke v. RTW. If you're just interested in getting well-fitting clothes to wear, RTW is the answer. A well-made RTW suit and a competent alterations tailor will yield excellent results. The only way you will be actively dissatisfied is if you are both compulsive and anal-retentive. A tailor once told me a story about a client who insisted on having his pants taken in by an eighth of an inch. Bespoke isn't really about proper fit -- unless you're a body-builder or something -- it's about participating in the process.
If this forum is any indication, RTW that can altered to fit nearly as well as good bespoke is extraordinarily rare. The work that goes into shaping a bespoke jacket just can't be replicated on a mass production scale.
There seems to be some dissonance in your opinion as to what the purpose of bespoke is. I think it's perfectly valid for people to discuss whether a bespoke suit fits/looks any differently from an OTR Canali. For lots of people with average measurements, off the rack stuff can look great.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jonraphaels.jpg

Feel free to comment . . .

Originally Posted by aportnoy
For comparison purposes...one of my Raphael suits

One thing is clear, Mr. Raphael senses his clients well by the suit he makes for them! Seemingly happy clients looking very good . . . can't get more specific than that.

- M

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's something inelegant in the shape of the jacket on your friend's suit. Maybe it's just that it needs to be pressed or to "relax" a bit? I'm not sure and it would be impossible to tell for sure from a single photo, but the silhouette in that picture is unflattering in the waist and shoulders in particular.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
There seems to be some dissonance in your opinion as to what the purpose of bespoke is. I think it's perfectly valid for people to discuss whether a bespoke suit fits/looks any differently from an OTR Canali. For lots of people with average measurements, off the rack stuff can look great.

There's no dissonance: good bespoke can be better than good RTW in ways good RTW cannot match, while good RTW can still be good. I never said RTW can't look great--just that I have not seen any that quite matches the best bespoke.

Yes, it is valid to discuss whether a bespoke suit looks like a RTW suit, but unless one specifies how he's comparing them, it is difficult to understand the ways in which he believes they are similar. "It looks like RTW Canali" doesn't really enlighten.

That being said, I do believe that even if the Raphael suit ordered by my friend is merely impeccably 'correct', that in and of itself is an achievement hardly possibly through RTW.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate the derail here, but he really does need to do something about the hair, it is not a very good look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads