• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Raphael suit (not mine)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
suit-2-07-08-09-1-1.jpg

I like.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jdldore

Reaction score
Great thread. I have learned a lot. It's nice to see an exchange in which the exchangers have definitively more experienced eyes than I do. So, thanks for that part of the thread.

From my relatively untrained perspective, it's a nice suit. Looking carefully, however, there does appear to be a reflection of a unicorn in the bottom left corner of the photo. Am not going to comment on the haircut, but, Mafoofan, please thank your friend for selflessly defending us if that is indeed what he did before jumping into finance.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison.

jonraphaels-1.jpg
suit-2-07-08-09-1-1.jpg

Great comparison. If foo can't see the obvious difference in drape here, then that's just a self-fulfilling prophecy issue.

It's quite easy to see that there is no excuse for the pulling seen across the waist and quarters in the first photo.

And again, where are the pics of the side and back of foo's bud?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Manton is right. WTF has happened here?

Originally Posted by Hehlol
It's rich watching a bunch of people who try so hard to be 'classy adults' on the Internet act exactly the way children would when criticized. A new poster said something about the community being tasteless and now the community's actions have basically proven him correct. It's amazing how you guys do it and still believe yourselves so refined.

Styleforum is a great place to come to learn about brands and quality and options, but it isn't a place to come about actual style. Use the forum for what you can, for some people it's posting in threads about all the new stuff they bought on credit, for others, it's reading about what others bought, learning about these items and investigating based on their own taste.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison.
jonraphaels-1.jpg
suit-2-07-08-09-1-1.jpg
There are things about each that are better and worse to my eye. I couldn't say one is simply better fit than the other.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are things about each that are better and worse to my eye. I couldn't say one is simply better fit than the other.

The only thing I see wrong in the second is the seat/rise being too low... what are you seeing in the second that is poor?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jonraphaels-1.jpg
suit-2-07-08-09-1-1.jpg
T., is that suit made by Raphael? Something appears off about the proportions to me. I think mostly it's the trousers. They appear too low on the waist, too low-crotched, and way too skinny--as if you're wearing jeans. As for the jacket, I'm surprised by the lack of lapel roll and shape of the quarters. It looks as of the quarters were altered later on to make them more open: notice how they start curving away right beneath the bottom button hole rather suddenly? The shoulder line is slightly ajar on the right, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
The only thing I see wrong in the second is the seat/rise being too low... what are you seeing in the second that is poor?
I didn't say poor. I said that some things are better on one, and some things are better on the other.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
The suit looks good to me and if the owner/wearer is happy then IMO its all that matters. I doubt 99.9% of the population could find all the "flaws" that we are pointing out.

99.9% of the population also wears sleeve too long, jacket too long and too big.

If I'm dropping $5K it'd better be much much improved over what 99.9% of the population knows.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't say poor. I said that some things are better on one, and some things are better on the other.

The fact of the matter is - to 99% of the general public both men would be viewed as well dressed individuals in a navy suit.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
T., is that suit made by Raphael?

Something appears off about the proportions to me. I think mostly it's the trousers. They appear too low on the waist, too low-crotched, and way too skinny--as if you're wearing jeans. As for the jacket, I'm surprised by the lack of lapel roll and shape of the quarters. It looks as of the quarters were altered later on to make them more open: notice how they start curving away right beneath the bottom button hole rather suddenly? The shoulder line is slightly ajar on the right, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

But the drape. You honestly think the jacket on the left has a cleaner, better drape than the one on the right?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At his final fitting:
jonfitting.jpg
As far as I'm aware, the only things changed were the shoulder width (narrowed), trouser legs (slimmed), and the back was cleaned up. Note: the bagging in the back of the trousers was relieved when he attached braces after the picture was taken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads