• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Raphael suit (not mine)

kngrimm

Reaction score
The most overused phrase on the Internet. What does it even mean in this context?

The thread linked is embarassing. Even if there are good points in there, the way they are expressed makes all the participants look like whiney, jealous little girls.

Something about the Internet either brings out the worst in people or attracts the worst people or both. I am certainly guilty of the former some times, but I try not to be, and when I at least have the decency to be ashamed of myself and try to make up for it. I don't wallow in it and look for occasions to indulge in it every chance I get.
Manton, you offer great information (over many years) and I think most everyone appreciates it.

I agree the internet can bring out the worst in people - I've never had some pithy internet quote said to my face. Usually people are thoughtful and sincere.

Anyway, my point, however it can be dissected, ripped, stabbed, sheared and digested is that you need not be that person.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
you need not be that person.

What person? A bunch of other people indulge in a whiney hate fest, someone else links it here, I say "Oh, brother, that's awful" and you single me out for blame? Well, OK. I apologize for noting the badness of that bad thread. How awful of me.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I think this is probably the case with an awful lot of "small timer" RTW suits that are altered by a reasonable tailor. ie, the goal of 'just look as good as the median guy/just fit in' is pretty easy to achieve even in the NYC finance crowd.

I don't wear suits much, but I've read through this whole thread looking at comments/complaints and comparing to the pics, and I have a hard time seeing any of it. without specifically having a detail pointed out, I would have no chance. in other words, you really need a trained eye to see the types of details you guys see, and there aren't all that many of you out there. that's not to say that looking awesome in a suit is not a worthwhile pursuit for you or anyone else, but I think the benefit is much more intrinsic than extrinsic.

I mean, I was in the Boston Ralph Lauren store, looking/trying on the EG's, G&G's, etc, and the salesman told me he liked my Chelsea's. he didn't recognize the brand when I told him (RM Williams) and I told them they were wholecut, etc, and he just looked at me with a blank face. he didn't get the details, just as 99.9% of people out there don't...but thats ok as long as it pleases you

Thats because he was trying to sell you a pair of EG's. Was it the old creepy guy with the strange voice?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Thats because he was trying to sell you a pair of EG's. Was it the old creepy guy with the strange voice?
he was an older guy, yeah. there were 3 guys - a light haired guy in his early 20's, a dark haired guy in his later 30's prob, and this guy in his 60's maybe?

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Another likely explanation is that A&S contracted out their website to a web-design house who used a stock photo of a pattern that has nothing to do with A&S cutting tradition.

--Andre

This would to be excuse similar of Carlo Franco who make claim that they have contract entire business operation to other, is convenient bullshit excuse for much business to say, “The contractor have make much connerie, we did not have possibility for to know what activity this contractor make, we cannot to be responsible!”
facepalm.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
This would to be excuse similar of Carlo Franco who make claim that they have contract entire business operation to other, is convenient bullshit excuse for much business to say, "The contractor have make much connerie, we did not have possibility for to know what activity this contractor make, we cannot to be responsible!"
facepalm.gif

The two situations are not even close to analagous.

First, it is merely one opinion that the pattern shown is all wrong, not an established fact. Second, it is nothing more than speculation that the picture is not from A&S. Third, even if it were shown, it's just a picture on a website. And it's not even a picture of an actual garment. It has nothing to do with the quality of the final product, value for service, or anything else.

kngrimm

Reaction score
What person? A bunch of other people indulge in a whiney hate fest, someone else links it here, I say "Oh, brother, that's awful" and you single me out for blame? Well, OK. I apologize for noting the badness of that bad thread. How awful of me.
Okie dokie, chief.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
you really need a trained eye to see the types of details you guys see, and there aren't all that many of you out there. that's not to say that looking awesome in a suit is not a worthwhile pursuit for you or anyone else, but I think the benefit is much more intrinsic than extrinsic.

1194986473930810829smiley119.svg.hi.png

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
kngrimm;2837900 said:
Okie dokie, chief.
Really, if you see it differently, please explain. By PM, if you like. I get blamed for other people's BS a lot, and I find it frustrating. If I am wrong, I would like to know why.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The two situations are not even close to analagous.

First, it is merely one opinion that the pattern shown is all wrong, not an established fact. Second, it is nothing more than speculation that the picture is not from A&S. Third, even if it were shown, it's just a picture on a website. And it's not even a picture of an actual garment. It has nothing to do with the quality of the final product, value for service, or anything else.

Yes I agree this things you speak, I think is not useful for personne make guess raisons for this things, only Anderson Sheppard can to know and tell this things!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I got to page 7 and stopped. Foo, known for drawing squiggly red lines on peoples' suits showing their ill-fittedness, is presented with said lines on a friend's suit's picture, and defends them as being style-appropriate and without fault.

Un really said it best:

Can you just stick someone's head on this, pretend it's a chan suit and foof away? I don't have the energy to do so. As for the pooling, I stated it was in the lower thigh, and I guess if you don't see it, there's no amount of foofing that will explain it. I don't think you are making an objective analysis of this fit. Given some of the minute fit issues you point out in nearly every suit you see fit to criticize, it's pretty galling that you fail to acknowledge the shortcomings in this suit which others have also pointed out.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm surprised no one's asked why he chose Paris for shirts, as opposed to Geneva or CEGO, for example.

--Andre

hws

Reaction score
When this topic can to be classify as threak, with poasts? Someone can to add poal?

The first foto, with boy who wear new suit, which store is this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
The first foto, with boy who wear new suit, which store is this?
Bergdorf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads