• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ralph Lauren sport coat misaligned sleeve? Normal variance or send it back?

malat

Reaction score
I received this Ralph Lauren sport coat yesterday. It appears that the left sleeve is a little "off" with respect to the pattern matching as compared to the right. (See top of each sleeve)
I've seen some slight variance with respect to OTR coats, though this appears to catch the eye quickly on this one in particular. Send it back and exchange it for another?

Pic taken on the hangar because it is easier to see the shoulder when I am not holding a camera, but the issue is exactly the same when the coat is being worn.

Last edited:

ykurtz

Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty egregious. You wouldn't walk out of a brick and mortar store with it, so definitely don't accept it as an online purchase.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, this would not bother me. Pattern matching will never be 100%, especially with plaid patterns. You're obsessing about the sleeves, but I wonder if you noticed the flap pocket and the chest darts above them are totally mis-aligned as well, or that the collar/lapel meeting doesn't match either. The only thing that seems to really match is the breast pocket.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, this would not bother me. Pattern matching will never be 100%, especially with plaid patterns. You're obsessing about the sleeves, but I wonder if you noticed the flap pocket and the chest darts above them are totally mis-aligned as well, or that the collar/lapel meeting doesn't match either. The only thing that seems to really match is the breast pocket.

:facepalm:

Pocket flaps are impossible to match when the dart extends to or past the pocket, which it always does. The same obviously goes for the jettings, though they could be a bit better matched with the flaps. The breast pocket welt can easily be matched because the dart ends well below it. It is also not always possible to match the collar with the lapel, especially while also having the collar match at the back. There is no reason that the sleeves cant be properly matched with the body though. With less obvious patterns and cheaper brands they might not bother at all, but to have one side matched and the other not clearly shows that something went wrong when cutting one of the sleeves.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What am I looking at/.for???

dwntwnjay

Reaction score
I've got a PRL jacket almost like that. Pattern matching on your left sleeve and body/closure of jacket is pretty bad in comparison.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF you talking about? Everything is visibly matched, except for the sleeve.

If it was full retail, I would definitely not accept this jacket.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm not sure if it bothers me or not.

malat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I will send it back to RalphLauren.com and ask for an exchange, as I have not seen it in either of our local Ralph Lauren stores (though I will try calling tomorrow). The coat is originally priced at $1495, and I purchased it for around $600 during the RL.com online sale going on.

Considering it is a $1500 coat at full retail, I would expect the job cutting/attaching of the sleeve to be a little bit better. With a fabric with this kind of window pain, I think the easily noticeable misalignment will continue to bug me, so we'll see if I can score another in exchange.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this type of jacket in the RL stores and they are always matched. So your odds are good.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you cannot get another jacket in your size, this could be rectified by a tailor. It is easier to rotate the sleeve down to match the pattern than If the sleeve pattern were below rather than above the match on the body. If the sleeve pattern was below, I would advise you to return it.
Think you will understand what I said, it reads a bit awkward.

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you cannot get another jacket in your size, this could be rectified by a tailor. It is easier to rotate the sleeve down to match the pattern than If the sleeve pattern were below rather than above the match on the body. If the sleeve pattern was below, I would advise you to return it.
Think you will understand what I said, it reads a bit awkward.

Is it better to rotate down rather than up? I would think it presents the same problem - mismatched arm angles.

Unless the sleeve was attached wrong in the first place, as opposed to being cut wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads