New pocket square folding guide, comments please

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sam Hober, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just finished making a guide to pocket square folding with large illustrations. http://www.mulberrywood.com/howtofol...quarefolds.htm I was wondering what you thought of the illustrations, and colors in terms of being easy to understand. I have some more suit with pocket square illustrations that I will be adding to the table of contents page. Thank you for your comments! The guide is a work in progress so any ideas for favorite pocket square folds that I should add would be appreciated.

2. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

This is really well done. Perhaps on the index page you could have a thumbnail of each end result so we could quickly zero in on the fold we want (some are obvious from the name, but others less so).

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This is wonderful! I hope this guide will be the catalyst that encourages the wearing of pocket squares. I do not feel fully dressed without a pocket square. It is a necessary touch. Thanks for sharing this on the forum.

4. Sam Hober

This is really well done. Perhaps on the index page you could have a thumbnail of each end result so we could quickly zero in on the fold we want (some are obvious from the name, but others less so).
    KSM, Good point on the thumbnails. I have the illustrations (A variation of the suit illustrations at the end of the fold pages) for the index page ready I am just thinking about the size and positioning. Clarinet player, I take it from your forum name that you are artisically inclined so I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

5. kronik

kronik Senior member

Fanfreakingtastic - I was wondering how I would go about learning how to fold pocket squares..

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Excellent, I am a mountain man myself (four mountains, not brokeback mountain [​IMG] ) but I will give the three points and the dunaway a try.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Bookmarked [​IMG]

8. Sam Hober

KSM,

We placed two pocket square photos on the top to provide balance and then the suit/finished folds on the left.

How does it look?

9. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

I have two more for you to add. One is like the three point stairs. From a flat square, fold diagonally from tip to tip four times and then pull the inside folds out to create the step shape. The other I've always called a Floral. Make a clenched fist and drape square over the top of the thumb and index finger, sort of like the trick of pulling the rabbit out. With the opposite hand, push the square down into the clenched fist with the index finger so that the fabric pushes out at the bottom of the fist. Release the fist and grab the fabric under the square and allow the fabric to drape over sort of like a fountain, now grab the outside and place this poof into pocket and arrange as dramatic as you like. Hope this all made sense.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!

10. Sam Hober

I have two more for you to add. One is like the three point stairs. From a flat square, fold diagonally from tip to tip four times and then pull the inside folds out to create the step shape. The other I've always called a Floral. Make a clenched fist and drape square over the top of the thumb and index finger, sort of like the trick of pulling the rabbit out. With the opposite hand, push the square down into the clenched fist with the index finger so that the fabric pushes out at the bottom of the fist. Release the fist and grab the fabric under the square and allow the fabric to drape over sort of like a fountain, now grab the outside and place this poof into pocket and arrange as dramatic as you like. Hope this all made sense.Best Regards,Gary "VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!
    Gary, Thank you. Your folds sound great and I will experiment.

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I have a suggestion: Iron down the finished square if it's cotton or linen. Makes it look crisper. Additionally I starch my cotton ones a little before folding.

12. Sam Hober

I have a suggestion: Iron down the finished square if it's cotton or linen. Makes it look crisper. Additionally I starch my cotton ones a little before folding.
    Jovan, Thank you for your idea. I am working on some good practical advice such as yours which I will add to another page. I will cover pocket square texture, sizes, materials & ironing etc.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

FWIW, I particularly don't like to do this as the fold should look more natural and plumper. You want to avoid the pocket square on a card look. Also be careful when ironing that you don't flatten the handrolled edges.

14. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I sort of made my own thread about how to fold a basic square and those tips. It didn't last long, since the thread pretty much derailed into how horrible I am for wearing argyles with a suit when asked which socks I should go with. [​IMG]

15. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

FWIW, I particularly don't like to do this as the fold should look more natural and plumper. You want to avoid the pocket square on a card look. Also be careful when ironing that you don't flatten the handrolled edges.

I'm with you. If a square is folded too evenly, or with sharp creases, it runs the risk of looking like a pre-folded square like those sold in cheesier menswear shops.