1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New phone poll

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, Feb 7, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Once you go Black(berry)...

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Slim, have you considered an iPhone?
    It's a good thing I know you are joking, pinky, otherwise I'd be forced to tell you the date and time of your death. And it would be soon.

3. kronik

kronik Senior member

... Fuck.

Owned.

To add something of substance, sort of, I think I'm going to go with a Blackberry 8830, which is about as close to a Curve as I can currently get with VZW as my carrier. I don't think you can go wrong with the Q or the Berry. Of course, you could wait until the next generation but.. what good are 2 more MPs and a larger internal drive for MP3s going to do you?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Which Q did you have? Surely you aren't talking about the Moto Q Global (Q9) that I'm looking at.

The extended battery that is included has a quoted 9 hour talk time and 30 day standby. Even if the actual time is half that, it beats the listed four hours of talk time with the Curve.

Ah, no, that's not the Q I had. I had the original Q. It was not a bad device, sync'ed with Outlook great, I liked the screen and I liked the calendar, and the phone function was better than any of the Treo's I tried.

The BB 8830 World Edition though is better in every way. The phone function itself (call quality) is fantastic. The interface is great for dialing out of the address book. The email of course is the best going. And the WE comes standard with the extended battery. All in all, it's a great package IMO.

That Sony SEX looks good though.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The BB 8830 World Edition though is better in every way.
    I'm sure, but AT&T doesn't have that. They have the Pearl, Curve 8310, 8700c, and the 8820. And as far as the reviews would lead me to believe, the Moto Q9 has superior call quality to nearly everything out on the market right now. Remember, I'm getting a phone that AT&T has for cheap. (No, the iPhone is not included in that) Anything else that they carry is fair game.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm sure, but AT&T doesn't have that. They have the Pearl, Curve 8310, 8700c, and the 8820.
    And as far as the reviews would lead me to believe, the Moto Q9 has superior call quality to nearly everything out on the market right now.

Remember, I'm getting a phone that AT&T has for cheap. (No, the iPhone is not included in that) Anything else that they carry is fair game.

Ah, gotcha. Go for the cheapest IMO, unless you get it paid for through work.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Ah, gotcha. Go for the cheapest IMO, unless you get it paid for through work.

LoL... big help you are... Pretty much all of the smartphones I'm looking at, I can get for around $99 or so, which I mentioned in my original post.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LoL... big help you are... Pretty much all of the smartphones I'm looking at, I can get for around $99 or so, which I mentioned in my original post.

lol, well dammit...BB then. And get that mobile optimized setting going! [​IMG]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Would this possibly be (by any chance) another one of these "help me choose" polls where the OP has clearly already made his choice and is dismissing any recommendations, experiences and comments that other members dare to voice? [​IMG]

Let me guess the ending Slim... even if the poll goes 80% Blackberry, you're still going to get your Q, right?

10. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Here is a site which I've used before when shopping. Fwiw. you can get pretty good discounts on phones but you have to wait for them to send them. They have some cool cases for phones that I've never seen anywhere else. I got my case from them... It says the Q is only $49.99. Link to site

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Would this possibly be (by any chance) another one of these "help me choose" polls where the OP has clearly already made his choice and is dismissing any recommendations, experiences and comments that other members dare to voice? [​IMG]

Let me guess the ending Slim... even if the poll goes 80% Blackberry, you're still going to get your Q, right?

I haven't really decided on anything yet. Out of the two I was originally looking at, the Q seems like the sturdier phone, with features that better suit me. I decided against the Blackberry two pages ago, based on the information given by other posters in this thread At this point, the Q, or wait for something else are the two options I'm looking at.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Here is a site which I've used before when shopping. Fwiw. you can get pretty good discounts on phones but you have to wait for them to send them. They have some cool cases for phones that I've never seen anywhere else. I got my case from them...

Link to site

That is pretty consistant with the pricing I'm already getting through AT&T directly.

What is the general opinion on the Palm Treo 680 and 750? I've never really been too keen on the design of the devices themselves, but maybe they are nice phones... I've just never looked at them.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

That is pretty consistant with the pricing I'm already getting through AT&T directly.

What is the general opinion on the Palm Treo 680 and 750? I've never really been too keen on the design of the devices themselves, but maybe they are nice phones... I've just never looked at them.

I was just thinking that myself. I forgot they were even still around. My first PDA (about 10 years ago when they came out) was a Palm. I haven't thought about them since.

14. Elegantly Defined

Elegantly Defined Well-Known Member

The Curve is frequently compared to the Iphone. The curve usually ends up on top when the out come is spit out. The MotoQ isn't comparable.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The Curve is frequently compared to the Iphone. The curve usually ends up on top when the out come is spit out. The MotoQ isn't comparable.

Using what as the criteria though? As far as I can tell from most reviews, the Q has a far superior browser, better keyboard, better screen, superior reception, vastly superior call quality, and better battery life (than the Curve).

If you have some links to reviews, shootouts, or head to head comparisons... post em!

Also, isn't Blackberry service completely FUBAR for the second time in a couple months right now?

16. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I returned my Curve a few days ago finally - I really didn't like it at all. To many tiny buttons that were hard for me to find and push and that trackball is incredibly sucky.

I exchanged it for an iPhone, which I had before (stolen) and I love, so don't pay any attention to me.

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

Why is it TS that you have the Curve as an option on your poll but not the 8800 series? Never used the 8800, but have an 8700 and frankly, love it. The Curve honestly looks like something Apple should have designed. Then again, I don't like "consumer friendly" phones, I want hardcore corporate.

I would have upgraded to 8800 a while ago, but they have cameras, and that's not allowed in federal courthouses.

Anyway, I guess you need to list what your needs in a phone are. To me, reasonable sound quality (the 8700 is MUCH better than my old 7100g), and flawless synchonization with MS Outlook are my main points, and BB delivers.

I don't fork out the 40 bucks for the internet anymore though. No need for that, although some of the third party BB software is pretty neat, like the "Beyond 411" app. But when I'm on the go, I normally just use my Garmin to look up listings for businesses, etc.

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Why is it TS that you have the Curve as an option on your poll but not the 8800 series? Never used the 8800, but have an 8700 and frankly, love it. The Curve honestly looks like something Apple should have designed. Then again, I don't like "consumer friendly" phones, I want hardcore corporate.
    If you'd been reading this thread, I believe I answered this question already. AT&T has the 8820, and refurb 8800's, but neither one of them come with a camera. Plus... they still have the shitty trackball. I work in a dust, mold, and particulate filled warehouse. My hands frequently have granite, marble, glass, or plain old dirt all over them. I'm going to try and be careful, but even so, that trackball would last a week tops.
    No they dont. At least, not according to the BB website. Might as well pull the trigger! [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure I did all this already. Thanks to everyone for all the advice in this thread, BTW. I thought the BB was decent, but its far too fragile for my needs, and doesn't really do what I want. The stuff that it DOES do, the MotoQ does better. The keyboard on the Q is far superior IMO to any other phone AT&T carries. I looked at the Palm Centro Glacier this weekend, and HATE the keys. They are literally impossible for me to hit cleanly. You have to have the fingers of a child to use that thing. The BB is passable, but for all the reasons mentioned previously, I thought the Q blew it out of the water. So... I went ahead and pulled the trigger this weekend and love it. Amazing phone. [​IMG]

19. Rome

Rome Senior member

Glad you took my advice. Shhhh.... dont fight it.

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Glad you took my advice. Shhhh.... dont fight it.

Hey, you were about 100x more helpful than the iZombies that infested this thread for a while.