• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New patek Phillippe watch

drax

Reaction score
What about the jumbo aquanaut?. Ranges from 13-18K and is very much the modern sporty face (ahem) of Patek - even if its been around a good while.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I'm a fan of Patek. This is a nice classic watch that can be had for about $15K:

11493.jpg

Wow.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
How can someone be too young for rose gold?? If you got the cash to buy a Patek, you are not too young. Rose gold looks much better than platinum or gold IMO.
The modern trend is to eschew yellow gold for silver colored metals. I can't say I like it even though silver was once considered more noble than gold.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The modern trend is to eschew yellow gold for silver colored metals.

I can't say I like it even though silver was once considered more noble than gold.

Agreed. I like rose the best.

KBW

Reaction score
I know all about them and why they are supposedly "worth" the price but I would never come anywhere close to buying a PP. Biggest waste of money ever IYAM. Before I disliked them I pointed one out (guy originally wouldn't even talk to me until he noticed my PAM 270 on my wrist) in a case and the guy handed it to me and I put it on. Looked like a watch (I've handled many watches) that would cost 5 or 6K. When he told me all about it I upped my price to maybe 10 or 11. When he told me it was 148 I started laughing. It was a plain 38mm (estimated) dress watch. The guy got all high and mighty and was like this is the blah blah blah limited blah blah blah which I could care less about. I told him I'd stick to my commoner's (what he called them) rolex and panerai. What is funny is the fact that he had a bracelet of some sort on but wasn't even wearing a watch.

The one the guy posted above me (this can be had for 15k) almost looks like a joke but it is not. I have $250 seiko dress watches from Japan that everyone who didn't know watches would say was a nicer watch than that PP

(btw I know my post will be unpopular here but Pateks are crap for the money...I could care less how many old parts they keep or what the value is. I rarely sell a watch and I will never buy an "investment" that has little chance in doing anything other than holding value.)

Kaizen

Reaction score
The Pateks I keep thinking of are:

5296G (old sector dial)

5296G.jpg

6000G

6000G.jpg

And, for a little dressier look, the 5111G (although I'd go with the dark blue strap)

5111G.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do make some really nice looking pieces, but it's more of a conversation piece than anything. Only people who really know watches have ever heard of PP, so in reality you have a insanely expensive watch that about .0001% of the population would even recognize as being high quality. That being said, 15k is reasonable, but some of their pieces are drastically overpriced.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
They do make some really nice looking pieces, but it's more of a conversation piece than anything. Only people who really know watches have ever heard of PP, so in reality you have a insanely expensive watch that about .0001% of the population would even recognize as being high quality. That being said, 15k is reasonable, but some of their pieces are drastically overpriced.
First, you don't wear watches for other people, you wear them for you. Second, I'd say their $15-20,000 Calatravas are what is overpriced, and I say that as an owner. It's the more expensive and complicated pieces that are "worth it".

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That only .0001% of the population might've heard of Patek is spectacularly awesome in my book
Paying for one in £ would've been best around the time when the exchange rate hovered around $2.05.
BTW, Patek has a model that comes in a platinum housing which looks fairly low-key.
Trouble is, it sells for 80 large
devil.gif

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drax
What about the jumbo aquanaut?. Ranges from 13-18K and is very much the modern sporty face (ahem) of Patek - even if its been around a good while.
That watch fills me with hate. I'd get a Vacheron Overseas chrono instead of the Aquanaut. The Aquanaut is what asshole hedge fund managers used to buy as graduation gifts for their asshole kids, before the money dried up. Now they'll probably have to sell the entire run of those ugly bastards to Arab oil sheiks and Russian gangsters. What I did was buy a steel Rolex and save my money.

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I know all about them and why they are supposedly "worth" the price but I would never come anywhere close to buying a PP. Biggest waste of money ever IYAM. Before I disliked them I pointed one out (guy originally wouldn't even talk to me until he noticed my PAM 270 on my wrist) in a case and the guy handed it to me and I put it on. Looked like a watch (I've handled many watches) that would cost 5 or 6K. When he told me all about it I upped my price to maybe 10 or 11. When he told me it was 148 I started laughing. It was a plain 38mm (estimated) dress watch. The guy got all high and mighty and was like this is the blah blah blah limited blah blah blah which I could care less about. I told him I'd stick to my commoner's (what he called them) rolex and panerai. What is funny is the fact that he had a bracelet of some sort on but wasn't even wearing a watch.
What you get from Patek is a higher degree of hand work and hand finishing from master watchmakers on the movement. By contrast, Rolex has a lot of automated production, and Panerais are actually modified stock ETA movements. Patek is better than Rolex for the same reason a bespoke suit is better than an off-the-rack. You're buying something that's handmade by master craftsmen. Of course, there's also a mark-up for the brand name; there generally is on top luxury stuff. And you're paying for the exclusivity. Rolex makes something like 750k watches annually. Patek makes around 30k.
The one the guy posted above me (this can be had for 15k) almost looks like a joke but it is not. I have $250 seiko dress watches from Japan that everyone who didn't know watches would say was a nicer watch than that PP
The Patek signals what it needs to signal, and that signal is recognized by the people Patek buyers are signalling; cosmopolitan rich people who know a Patek watch or a Hermes bag and a pair of bespoke shoes when they see them. As a guy in his mid 20s, I don't know who the OP is signaling. You're very right that women who he might be trying to hook up with won't know the Patek. I don't know what he is doing that he's looking at that much disposable money at this moment in history. In previous years, Wall Street bonuses cleaned out all the watch dealers (and car dealers) in the NYC area around Christmastime, but this year is likely to be pretty lean. If it's something financial, he might be looking to put that money away in case it starts raining harder, or he might be able to spot some mispriced equities and get a much better medium-term return. Even the guys who are still flush around here are showing off a lot less. There aren't a lot of workplaces where I can see this being appropriate for someone at a junior level. My philosophy is that just because you can doesn't mean you should. I live in New York and put a big chunk of my earnings away. I have contemporaries who party 3 or 4 nights a week, live in apartments that cost almost twice what mine costs, and are probably spending their whole salary and carrying consumer debt on top of it. Their lifestyle is glamorous, and I envy it a little, but I think it's probably better to actually have money than to look like you have money.
(btw I know my post will be unpopular here but Pateks are crap for the money...I could care less how many old parts they keep or what the value is. I rarely sell a watch and I will never buy an "investment" that has little chance in doing anything other than holding value.)
Absolutely disagree. If I made a million bucks in a year, I'd drop fifty grand on a Patek complication. I would not buy it for an investment; that would be dumb, and people who rationalize watch purchases this way are not making good decisions. You should not be buying this if you need the money. The marginal utility between a $5000 watch and a $100,000 watch is pretty small, in the same way that the marginal utility between a $300 pair of shoes and a $4000 pair of shoes is pretty small, or in the way that the marginal utility between a $500 handbag and a $10,000 handbag is pretty small. You buy a Patek because it's beautiful and rare and to show that you have the good taste to spend your money something intricate and simple and tasteful.

coogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW

Your opinion is fine. But it would be disagreed with by 100% of serious watch collectors

coogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
They do make some really nice looking pieces, but it's more of a conversation piece than anything. Only people who really know watches have ever heard of PP, so in reality you have a insanely expensive watch that about .0001% of the population would even recognize as being high quality.

This is the type of watch I like. I am not a black rapper (not PC enough?) and I don't need to show off wealth or pretend i'm a billionaire. I love the work that goes into them and feel privileged to wear a piece of art that I can appreciate

coogie

Reaction score
When starting the thread I was hoping it wouldnt turn into talk of money. My budget is my budget, which i have weighed up and can afford to do. I am not interested in debates on whether it is worth it...

Kaizen, Love the style of the 5296G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads