New Pants Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CommercialDoc, Jun 29, 2006.

1. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

I just picked up a pair of Zegna light weight wool pants I had tailored by Saks' in house tailor. When I put the pants on, I found a few feet of "cotton ribbon" in the pocket. I recall somebody on SF discussing attaching such a ribbon to the inside of cuffs to protect the bottom of the pants.

Should Saks' tailor done this on his own?

Is there a proper way to affix these cuff protectors?

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

An often discussed topic indeed, and it sounds like a good idea to protect a nice pair of pants. Anytime I've suggested that the tailor used the ribbon, they've just laughed at me. I've decided that the ribbon maybe a little too complusive for me to pursue. I cuff most of my pants which provides most of the benefits of the ribbon anyway.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

I've always thought that it is used w/ lighter fabrics to help 'weight' the cuff so that it drapes properly....

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

An often discussed topic indeed, and it sounds like a good idea to protect a nice pair of pants. Anytime I've suggested that the tailor used the ribbon, they've just laughed at me. I've decided that the ribbon maybe a little too complusive for me to pursue. I cuff most of my pants which provides most of the benefits of the ribbon anyway.

Tailors I've asked about using the ribbon have had a similar reaction. The last tailor I asked told me it's to reinforce the cuff against wear, but in his experience other areas of trousers wear out first (e.g. the seat).