New pair of boots for field work

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by afaludi, Jun 12, 2008.

1. afaludi

afaludi Senior member

So I just got appointed to a position that requires a good amount of field work and I need a new pair of boots. I was leaning to the redwing gt but was wondering if it was solid enough to handle serious woods work or was the sole/leather/style more for the streets? many thanks

2. chiral

chiral Senior member

On a more serious note, I think the red wings are pretty tough, but I have no personal experience with them as they don't make them in a large enough size for me. I can really recommend the LL bean katahdin boots, though. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...502771-tn&np=Y I use them for serious field work (Im a geochemist), and they've stood up really well. Nice construction, goodyear welted with vibram soles, water resistant, etc. Fairly inexpensive, as well.

3. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Honestly if your doing a job thats going to really get your boots messed up you dont want to spend a fortune. I went to sears and bought a pair of Dickies for $75. They are really comfortable and dont look to bad.

4. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

I was not expecting to see a rickroll here.

5. fiftyfour

fiftyfour Well-Known Member

I have been through a few pairs of Rocky Boots in the last 15 years and always found them to be tough, comfortable, and reasonably priced.

6. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

As nice as the GT's are, I'd steer you toward Red Wing, Frye, Chippewa, ect. more work line that are lined with goretex or the like. Something with a steel toe and shank, and waterproofing from the factory. These can be had from discount places for prices under $100.

I think of GT's as somewhat of a lux workboot in comparison to the modern additions to the workboot are made availible today. Both have their places IMO.

7. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

So I just got appointed to a position that requires a good amount of field work and I need a new pair of boots. I was leaning to the redwing gt but was wondering if it was solid enough to handle serious woods work or was the sole/leather/style more for the streets? many thanks

Define "fieldwork"?

There is a big difference between scaling a mountain and wading the bayou...

8. datasupa

datasupa Senior member

What kind of work? How serious do you want to go? How much are you willing to spend?

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

rick-roll deleted

Fail. This is a weak rick-roll. I expect a little more creativity than this.

10. afaludi

afaludi Senior member

Thanks for all your help. As for what im going to be doing, the work is a population survey of amphibians in the Shenandoah, so the work will involve kicking rocks and walking in water a little

Chiral, I just looked at those boots and they look amazing, thanks for the recommendation

11. Mr. Caber

Mr. Caber Senior member

Chiral, I'm guessing you're at least a 13 then? How do the Katahdins size, are they pretty much what they say?
    I've been debating between the GTs and the Katahdins, but I think I'm ready to pull the trigger with Mr. Bean.

12. datasupa

datasupa Senior member

Those who get the beans, post up some pics!

13. chiral

chiral Senior member

I'm normally a 14D (sometimes a 15 depending on the manufacturer), and I got the Katahdins in a 14. I'd say they run true to size, perhaps a bit on the large size.

The leather on them is very stiff brand new, and is heavily oiled for water protection. Mine are finally starting to break in after months of heavy wear (and an expedition to Antarctica!). I'll try to post pics later today, after I get home from work.

14. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

I wear Red Wings regularly, I would definitely recomend them, ther tough and look good. get 1 size down. www.hyrcollective.com

15. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

If you're going to be working around or in water you'll need two pairs to rotate.

It is no fun putting on cold wet boots day after day...

I'd advise going to a workwear store and getting a couple of cheap pairs of steel midsole and toecapped boots with an oil / shock resistant rubber sole. You can get a strong light, comfortable boot for around £20.