• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Oxford Dilemma: Carmina or Santoni?

LeDiable007

Reaction score
I want to buy three pairs of shoes. I've recently fallen in love with the Carmina mid-brown single monk, but I've also found some FAM Santonis for about the same price. Which should I go for?

I know how highly Carmina is regarded on the forum, and a search didn't return much in the way of comparative discussion between the two. I'm also open to suggestions, but $450 per is about the most I'd spend per pair.

Thanks in advance, mates.

papado

Reaction score
I want to buy three pairs of shoes. I've recently fallen in love with the Carmina mid-brown single monk, but I've also found some FAM Santonis for about the same price. Which should I go for?

I know how highly Carmina is regarded on the forum, and a search didn't return much in the way of comparative discussion between the two. I'm also open to suggestions, but $450 per is about the most I'd spend per pair.

Thanks in advance, mates.

I can't speak from experience, but they're both well made goodyear welted shoes so I would suggest you choose what you like! I thought the FAM Santonis went for closer to 600-900 so if 450 is your budget I think Carmina makes perfect sense. I'm not sure Santoni is that much better than Carmina in terms of construction/materials (others can chime in here...) so you may as well save the extra $ if Carmina fits your needs.

LeDiable007

Reaction score
I can't speak from experience, but they're both well made goodyear welted shoes so I would suggest you choose what you like! I thought the FAM Santonis went for closer to 600-900 so if 450 is your budget I think Carmina makes perfect sense. I'm not sure Santoni is that much better than Carmina in terms of construction/materials (others can chime in here...) so you may as well save the extra $ if Carmina fits your needs.

Thank you for the info. These are the Santonis: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-SANTONI-Dress-Black-Leather-Shoes-SIZE-Eu-46-Uk-12-Us-13-8R/163325316049. With shipping and what I expect to pay in duties, they're right up around the Carminas.

I tried Meermin because folks here raved about it, but the leather was hard-wearing and I wound up with sore feet and shoes I don't wear anymore. Materials and construction are my only real concerns atm. Short break-in period, GYW, and Meccarrelio-esque leather.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying shoes you haven't tried on off of ebay might be rife with danger, especially since you mention duties - that implies a lot of pain even if the Ebay seller does returns.

Fit is paramount.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I can speak from experience and in my opinion the choice is very clear: Carmina over Santoni any day. I am yet to see a Santoni shoe that is Goodyear welted, they are all Blake Rapid welted and whilst nicely designed in a fashion forward look, they are way overpriced and in every way inferior to Carmina shoes in terms of construction and leather quality. The only reason to choose a Santoni shoe is if you desperately desire the modernist look.

LeDiable007

Reaction score
Buying shoes you haven't tried on off of ebay might be rife with danger, especially since you mention duties - that implies a lot of pain even if the Ebay seller does returns.

Fit is paramount.

That was my thinking as well. The seller is in Europe, so if it doesn’t work out, I’m in for it.

I can speak from experience and in my opinion the choice is very clear: Carmina over Santoni any day. I am yet to see a Santoni shoe that is Goodyear welted, they are all Blake Rapid welted and whilst nicely designed in a fashion forward look, they are way overpriced and in every way inferior to Carmina shoes in terms of construction and leather quality. The only reason to choose a Santoni shoe is if you desperately desire the modernist look.

I think Santoni does do Goodyear welting, but these I’ve found are definitely Blake rapid. I went for the Carmina cap toes.

Thank you both for responding.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but want to add what I know to add some clarity. FAM Santoni's can be either blake stitched or goodyear welted. From what I have seen, if the sock lining is orange it's usually blake stitched. If it's black or dark brown with dimples (small dots) it is usually goodyear welted.

A Carmina vs a Santoni FAM at the same price should win in terms of quality. However, when paired against a goodyear welted line model like the Carter it's debatable. The Carter last have a tighter waist and a chiseled toe, and they have a higher notch of leather burnishing and finishing. I wouldn't buy them at the MSRP however, as I feel it's inflated and targeted towards a designer driven market. You can easily find them on sale at half off, or sometimes 1/3 of the MSRP.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I also would like to dig up this old thread mainly for the sake of correcting myself and ensuring other readers don’t get misled. Since my last posts I in fact have purchased a few Santoni fatte a mano (handmade) shoes, which are Goodyear-welted and I have to admit with shame that they are extraordinarily well made and actually surpass my previously so coveted Carminas (and even Crockett & Jones Handgrade for that matter) in terms of craftsmanship and leather quality. Yes, Santoni has some lower quality Blake-welted and even glued shoes in their lineup which I tend to avoid as they are IMHO massively overpriced, but if you get your hands on a pair of Santonis marked as FAM or Goodyear at a decent (read „discounted“) price, you‘re buying some seriously good shoes. A word of warning though: Santoni shoes will only fit narrow feet unless you are buying a „wide“ last version and they run large, i.e. you need to size down a full size (with Monks or Loafers maybe even 1.5 sizes) to get a good fit with their elongated lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads