• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New outfit, dress and Casual opinions wanted!

canuck2280

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I'm trying to figure out if its "okay" to match a grey pair of dress pants (producer pant from express) with a grey morino wool sweater vest (express)? Does it depend on the shirt and tie combo that would be going along with it? or do you not do that?

This is where your help comes in... whats your suggestions...

If it works together what shirt and tie combos?
or
ditch the grey vest and go with a black vest? and if so what shirt and tie combos then?

ANY help would be apprciated.... I will be finishing the outfit off with my black Steve Madden dress shoes, a nice fresh hair cut, and a nice watch
smile.gif

First post to the forums go easy on me
smile.gif

THANKS!

JordanH.

Reaction score
hmmm. if you're wearing black shoes (not endorsed on these forums with grey much), i would wear a navy vest maybe. maybe a black vest. i'm not entirely sure because i don't know what it will look like on you. can you possibly post pictures with both vests on with the pants and shoes? it will be easier to judge that way. and, if you have the funds, you should buy some brown oxfords to go with grey. believe me, it looks much better that way as oppose to being worn with black.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome,

pictures will help!

canuck2280

Reaction score
Jordan, so brown oxfords with grey pants eh? hmmmm I'll have to check a pair out.... I just assumed black shoes
smile.gif
I don't have ANY pics of me in the outfits as I'm trying to pick my outfit out before I go to the store to buy it.... I bought the pants already and its my first pair of great fitting nice pants, they flow nicely into the shoes... just enough length not going to bunch at the foot or anything.....

looking basically like this....

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=67

(I do notice now the model has on "brown" shoes...unforunately the "brown" I have is not that dark and in my opinion look strange.... but who knows)

This would be the vest:

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...latedItem=true

a little about me I'm 6', with a medium build, I wear a 33x32 pant, and depending in the shirt anywhere from a 15-33/34 to a 16 34/35. I tried a Medium vest on and it was to small so I would need to go with a Large. Any other opinions/suggestions?

canuck2280

Reaction score
I guess I never thought of a different shade of grey..... I'll have to pair up the Heather Grey vest with the pants tonight and see what I think. THANKS Mr. POTATO! any Tie/shirt suggestions with the style/colour I already have going on?

canuck2280

Reaction score
Mr Potato.... Do you think I would need to go with a new pair of black pants to go "monochrome" like what you suggested? when I lay the two items over each other online the colours are just slightly different with the pants being a just a little darker..... hmmmm......
confused.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with a dark blue or navy vest.

Here's what I have done along those lines:
20080523-1.jpg

I went with black monkstraps.

canuck2280

Reaction score
hmmmm Okay! so more and more are pointing towards the blue vest.... alrighty! I'll have to see hwat works! thanks for everyones opinions.... what about shirt/tie colour combos?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't look like you are trying too hard, especially if you never have pulled off this sort of outfit before, it can come off as very sloppy if things do not fit right/ proportions are off

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canuck2280
Mr Potato.... Do you think I would need to go with a new pair of black pants to go "monochrome" like what you suggested? when I lay the two items over each other online the colours are just slightly different with the pants being a just a little darker..... hmmmm......
confused.gif

Those pants are more like dark gray. I wouldn't recommend getting black pants as they look too much like a waiter.

If the gray pants that you currently have are significantly darker than the gray vest, then it could work. You don't want it too look like you're wearing a one piece if the shades match too similarly.

As for tie and shirt, white shirt and black tie seems like an obvious choice for the monochromatic look.

canuck2280

Reaction score
Constant struggle - thats exactly what I'm tyring to avoid and why I'm here
smile.gif
I'm usually fashion forward in the group not scared to try new things/not ordinary (in my friends eyes) but I totally hear what you are saying.... Like I said this is the first pair of perfect fitting pants I've ever owned.
smile.gif

Potato - I get ya on the black pants, ya I want to NOT look like a waiter
laugh.gif
the pants I currently have are not far off teh heather grey sweater so piecing them together would probably give me teh one piece look thats what I thought when I put them together online. I have the black tie and white shirt, is there anythign you guys can suggest to make it a little more "funkier" with colours/patterns etc....?

JordanH.

Reaction score
i don't think you should wear a black tie. what about maroon or dark red? i personally love the way maroon looks with grey. i also see navy or a dark green color working well with the grey. paisley is a nice pattern for ties. i love olive green. i tend to like smaller paisley but i have more lare paisley printed ties. college stripes, i think they're called, look okay but they tend to be pretty bland to me. polka dot ties are nice also. if you go on ebay and search 'knit ties' you will find a nice variety of those (i have bought 4 in the past month or so). herringbone patterned ties look pretty cool too. but, you should really go to a bunch of clothing places and scope out ties that YOU think look good with what you'll be wearing. in the end, you should be wearing something that YOU like.

canuck2280

Reaction score
Most excellent jordan! Thanks for YOUR opinions
laugh.gif
Like I said before I like being different in my group and trying different things, its sometimes pretty hard to wrap my brain around "different" choices in colours and textures when alls I've bought in the past is basically the same thing over and over again...... so hearing it from other people that it does look good or that Yes those do match together makes it alot easier.... I'm off to go shopping tonight and tomorrow so thank you everyone for your input....

its funny you mention paisley, I just started noticing that pattern this past weekend on ties and I was like "who wants that on their ties..... LOL" I dont wear enough shirts and ties to keep up with the fasion trends but when I need to wear them I like to be fashionable...... so thanks again everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads