• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Outfit - Does it work?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blazer and shirt need to pressed but other than that, what do you think?

Goorin Hat
Trovota Wool Continental Blazer
Empire of Truth Shirt
Diesel Denim
Jack Jones Shoe

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get pants with a more tapered leg and take in the blazer, and you be good to go.

Doesn't hurt to wear boots either.
smile.gif

Ahaz

Reaction score
I think the shoes are at odds with the rest of the outfit.

bob

Reaction score
The blazer looks too shapeless to me. I'm going to second getting it taken in.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually like the blazer... but the jeans and shoes dont work. with some dark sraight legs and boots or more understated shoes it would look good.

edit: after looking at it again, the only thing that i like is the blazer, but i think it really needs to be dressed down... well... im thinking a simple tee under, with some levis or lee repros and vintage boots. the hat could work with it too, but id dye it a darker color.

but than youd look like me, and thats not a good thing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not too fond of the shoes / hat combo. Shoes too casual, too stark, hat too light, too formal-looking (at a distance). Change one or the other and it's a good combination.

Also like taking in the blazer.

Reaction score
Not impressed with the fit of the jeans. They just look too big. And the recommendation to go with shoes or boots rather than those sneakers is a good one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shoes are a little too modern. I would stick with chukkas or classic sneakers.

Also, I think that you need to do at least one of taking in the jacket, or getting more fitted jeans. Either would lend a better silhouette. Actually, I think that taking in the jacket, and substituting Chucks or Vans slip ons for shoes would make for a very interesting, silhouette. Sort of an A shape.

I'd also toss the hat. Too costumey paired with the jacket.

Finally, man, you've got no visual interest in that outfit. Part of that comes from the fact the the silhouette just sort of goes straight down (You can have a lean silhouette, the A silhouette I suggested above, or even a baggy silhouette, as long as there are breaks in it,) but part of that is because the colors are sort of all neutral and washed out.

I would definitely put something either lighter or considerably darker under that blazer, and something more fitted.

Anyway, you did ask.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the shirt and shoes are what don't fit in this outfit and I would agree that the blazer and jeans should be more fitted.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Agree with getting the jacket tailored. Not just taken in at the waist, get the sleeves shortened as well.

I'll also go ahead and agree with going with different footwear.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I actually do not like this outfit but was having trouble pin pointing what was wrong with it. The jacket actually fits better than how it looks in the picture, but I just moved to Finland recently so it's suffering from being locked in a suitcase. Definitaley agree that the sleeves could be shortened a bit though. Same with the jeans, they are too long. The shoes aren't that great either but they're the best I've been able to find in Jyvaskyla (The city is a real fashion mecca. I'm sure you've heard of it...) Anyway, I'll keep working on it and maybe I'll post a pic when I get the kinks worked out
smile.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with Fok about the hat. Depends on the person, but I am very much in support of odd and anachronistic things if you can make it work. The shoes are really the main thing making this not work. Try chelseas or chukkas. Other comments on fit have aready been covered.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'd say shirt/jeans. I think the shoes would fit in a lot better with a solid shirt. I was iffy about the hat at first but I think it works with the blazer which I really like. Comments on the jeans have been pretty spot on.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably put on some brown shoes to go with the jacket buttons and toss the shirt for something darker or lighter (like LA Guy noted), not necessarily stripes because there's a lot of interesting details already in the blazer. The hat could stay if you get some coordination going on between it and the shirt.

And that's my $0.02.

greentea

Reaction score
the shirt and shoes are the odd pair. maybe a darker shirt, and something less sporty shoes. once you wear a wool blazer with the outfit it transform the attire to more formal. but with regular spring type blazer,something lighter, it could work with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads