• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New on the forum looking for some advise... My 1st post

newintown23

Reaction score
Ok guys... Just got back from a full day in Manhattan. Spent 3+ hours inside the Suit Supply store in Soho.
I was immediately greeted by a sales rep as soon as i walked in who was quite helpful. I tried on a countless number of suits before i decided on my top 3 fits. As mentioned earlier in the thread, i am 5"10, 180lbs, solid build, in good shape... I must tell you, this is hands down, the best fitting suits i have ever tried off the rack. All the suits looked very well made and were very stylish and just what i was looking for. I thank all of you greatly for your recommendation for me to visit this place....

I decided on the Washington fit for me. Very high armholes, very slim around the waste, and as with all the suits they needed very minimal alterations. I purchased one gray and one navy. I had the pants let out a little, the pants hemmed, the jacket taken out a little, and the sleeves on the jacket done. BOTH suits came to $1100 including tax, alterations AND delivered to my house, once completed. This part of the city is an hour plus drive away from me, so it saves me the trip.

After I had left the store, on my drive home, i called suit supply's main line and told them about my experience in the store. It seems that the store is missing a lot of what the company actually makes. At least that was the case with my size. I was told i would really like the Lazio cut as well... These suits are from their purple line, and as someone else mentioned, half canvassed.

Now lets compare what I had done prior to this trip. I purchase 2 Hugo suits for 900 or so each, had dropped them off at the tailor for 200 bucks each, purchased 2 Hickey suits on Gilt.com for 500 each, and those were also 200 bucks each to get the look of these suits. So lets total it up... I spent a total of $3600 on these four suits... DUMB MOVE! ALL GOING BACK!

After i realized how much better quality of a suit i was getting for the money, plus how much money i was saving, I took a walk over to Allen Edmonds and purchased a couple of pair of shoes as well! What a fantastic trip today turned out to be. I thank you all SO much and i will be taking pics to share with you all.

Cheers

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you, good sir, SF advise applied to It's potential. Enjoy your new suits and shoes.

newintown23

Reaction score
Anyone know why i can not post a classified add? Is it because im new and dont have enough time here yet?

newintown23

Reaction score
i purchased a custom David Reeves suit off of gilt for 880.. they normally go for 1500.. Im thinking about selling it since these suit supply suits fit so well OTR. what are your thoughts?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i purchased a custom David Reeves suit off of gilt for 880.. they normally go for 1500.. Im thinking about selling it since these suit supply suits fit so well OTR. what are your thoughts?

I would keep it. It will likely be your new benchmark for suits, better than Suit Supply. Plus,:D if you consider that the tailoring costs are already built into the price, it's even cheaper.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would keep it. It will likely be your new benchmark for suits, better than Suit Supply. Plus,:D if you consider that the tailoring costs are already built into the price, it's even cheaper.

+1 It's more than likely a fantastically made suit, to your specific size. You can't beat that.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also you'll get to choose from a wide range of fabrics and styling details - I'd use this opportunity to go for a suit that is maybe a bit more adventurous than your others.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also you'll get to choose from a wide range of fabrics and styling details - I'd use this opportunity to go for a suit that is maybe a bit more adventurous than your others.

Not sure a beginner should be experimenting so early. At least that is what the Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners thread would say :)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he's already got 5ish suits though? I don't mean go crazy...but if your other suits are solids, maybe get a glen plaid or a windowpane or try some peak lapels or hacking pockets, something like that.

edit: just noticed that he got suits in the Washington fit, which has ticket pockets and peak lapels...that being the case, maybe getting a suit with fewer doodads would be the way to go with DR

Last edited:

newintown23

Reaction score
good advise! as always! ill stick with my appointment and prob go with the Glen Plaid as suggested! I will be sure to post pics of all of my new suits when they arrive or are made. Thanks again guys.It was such a spontaneous purchase on gilt.com for the David Reeves suit and i really liked some of his work I jumped on it immediately, but was having second thoughts now. I feel better about it now. Still need some more ties and shoes. Any more suggestions on them, keeping them trendy and stylish?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk to DR about what you have and what you like/want and listen to his suggestions.

As for ties, Sam Hober is a great resource. Get a few grenadines in solid colors (Navy, burgundy, brown, etc). http://www.samhober.com/

Did you end up buying some AEs? If so, what models and colors? In general you should get a black calf oxford captoe or 1/4 brogue as a basic, conservative shoe. After that you have a lot of choices. A dark brown and a burgundy/oxblood would be the next colors to get, but you have a lot of leeway in styles. Oxford or blucher. Calf or Shell Cordovan. Wingtip, longwing, wholecut, plaintoe, captoe, it goes on and on. As far as brands to look at, AE is the starting point for good quality. Look at Alden, Crockett and Jones, Carmina, Alfred Sargent, Brooks Brothers (Peal & Co.), Grensen, Trickers. Up a level from there are Edward Green, John Lobb and Vass, if you want to have a look at the higher end. Check the threads on these brands and see what you like - there are a ton of photos of these shoes.

After the first 3 pairs or so, look at walnut/lighter browns, suedes, chukkas, boots, it goes on and on.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also had luck with Ferragamo, originale line or tramezza line. Happy hunting, ow, always try the shoe on before you buy. Too many variations, even within a given brand and lasts. Look forward to some good pics :D

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
To, OP, glad our advice worked out on Suitsupply. It's really a great deal for a well made suit. I love my 2 Suitsupply suits. I'm off to the Netherlands next week, and will pick up some more, likely from their outlet. I also love my Zegnas, Cornelianis, and Canalis, but for the price, Suitsupply can't be beat.

Also agreed that if you have a few basic solid suits, then you can safely move on to some glen plaid and windowpane patterns for some variety.

^^^ I also have had great luck with Ferragamos, I love them even though they aren't the most Styleforum approved brand. But for my personal style I find the soles on most AE and most UK brand shoes too thick, even if they are goodyear. I prefer a much more svelte sole, with little overhang, and this is where esthetically, Italian brands are better to my eye. Just personal preference.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've also had luck with Ferragamo, originale line or tramezza line. Happy hunting, ow, always try the shoe on before you buy. Too many variations, even within a given brand and lasts. Look forward to some good pics :D

Agreed.

And 'gamos run notoriously narrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads