1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New on the forum looking for some advise... My 1st post

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newintown23, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bwp

bwp Senior member

Keep the Hickey, ditch the Boss stuff. If you are near Suit Supply in NYC definitely head there and spend a couple hours trying on their various fits.

2. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Chalk should rub out pretty easily.

And regarding the double windsor, there could be a multitude of problems. Your ties could be too thick. They could be too short. Or your shirt collars could be too narrow so the tie doesn't fit. Now, you haven't really specified why the knot isn't working, so you might want to consider all 3.

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The website closes at end of month, it's pretty much their closing sale. Code: FEBFAMILY, gets you 25% off on top. They are not good with descriptions, but the one I bought with the lapel needle stitching was a jam Sharp model. In any case, enjoy looking at new suits and shoes. SF is a great resource for information.

4. newintown23

newintown23 Senior member

you guys are great and i cant thank you enough for your input. I have learned SO much on this site in the last couple of weeks. I am very thankful i came across it and all your input. Cheers

PS- Ditching the Boss, keeping the Hickeys & heading to Suit Supply which is about an hour and 15 away from me but tomorrow im off. :)
    Ill also check out some AE shoes while im in the city. Feel free to throw out some good places for shoes while im there in the 300 range. Thanks again guys

5. newintown23

Another question just came to mind... I have a great tailor here on Long Island but i dont think hes the cheapest but he does nice work.
    All the suits i brought him in the last few days (2 hickey, 2 boss) all needed decent adjustments. Per suit it worked out to be just about 200.
    This included hemmed pants, taking them in a little, and doing some work to the jacket (a good amount)... Is this nuts of me to be spending this kind of money for an OTR suit? or should i just opt for a MTM? I guess that would depend on what i purchased the suit at as well right?
    I dont mind spending the money on the hickeys which i got for 500 each, but i think we are all in a mutual agreement that spending 1k on a hugo suit plus 200 on a tailor is insane... What are some rules of thumb in this department?

6. JubeiSpiegel

It's hard to find a tailor you trust, but $200 per suit for alterations is pretty steep. I would say inquire about alterations at the next shop you go to, sometimes they are free when you buy a suit. You should also post fit pics of how the suit fits after your tailor is done with the HF suits.

7. newintown23

ok, ill do that. Yea i feel the 200 is pretty steep as well but was always reluctant to let the tailors from the store do them. You think i should opt for the tailor at suit supply rather than bring them to my own tailor? Maybe i was buying suits that i thought fit me well, but really didnt. Im pretty sure my tailor was taking the sleeves off my my hickey suit? he was saying its a big job. But like i said, i got them for 200. Ill def post the pics of the finished product for you all to critique.

8. JubeiSpiegel

You know what, you can even post pics of the suit you end up getting, off the rack before alterations. You might not need so much work on them, or you might be sizing yourself incorrectly. Post lots of pics, front, back, side, standing straight. Look forward to seeing what you get.

9. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Senior member

Incase you're wondering, the Suitsupply in NYC has a tailor on site. She does nothing but Suitsupply suits all day long. I'd trust her to do something she does repeatedly, before I bring it to anyone else. She did a great job on my two suits and turned them around in 1 hour.

And as someone else has mentioned $200 is steep for a tailor to take in a new suit. The most I've ever spent is $100 and this from an expert suit maker for hemming, waist, and slim jacket as well as sleeves. But if your tailor is shortening sleeves at the shoulder I guess it would cost more

10. newintown23

I'm heading there now. Thanks for the advise. I will let you all know how I make out.

11. newintown23

Ok guys... Just got back from a full day in Manhattan. Spent 3+ hours inside the Suit Supply store in Soho.
    I was immediately greeted by a sales rep as soon as i walked in who was quite helpful. I tried on a countless number of suits before i decided on my top 3 fits. As mentioned earlier in the thread, i am 5"10, 180lbs, solid build, in good shape... I must tell you, this is hands down, the best fitting suits i have ever tried off the rack. All the suits looked very well made and were very stylish and just what i was looking for. I thank all of you greatly for your recommendation for me to visit this place....

I decided on the Washington fit for me. Very high armholes, very slim around the waste, and as with all the suits they needed very minimal alterations. I purchased one gray and one navy. I had the pants let out a little, the pants hemmed, the jacket taken out a little, and the sleeves on the jacket done. BOTH suits came to $1100 including tax, alterations AND delivered to my house, once completed. This part of the city is an hour plus drive away from me, so it saves me the trip.

After I had left the store, on my drive home, i called suit supply's main line and told them about my experience in the store. It seems that the store is missing a lot of what the company actually makes. At least that was the case with my size. I was told i would really like the Lazio cut as well... These suits are from their purple line, and as someone else mentioned, half canvassed.

Now lets compare what I had done prior to this trip. I purchase 2 Hugo suits for 900 or so each, had dropped them off at the tailor for 200 bucks each, purchased 2 Hickey suits on Gilt.com for 500 each, and those were also 200 bucks each to get the look of these suits. So lets total it up... I spent a total of $3600 on these four suits... DUMB MOVE! ALL GOING BACK!

After i realized how much better quality of a suit i was getting for the money, plus how much money i was saving, I took a walk over to Allen Edmonds and purchased a couple of pair of shoes as well! What a fantastic trip today turned out to be. I thank you all SO much and i will be taking pics to share with you all.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  12. JubeiSpiegel

Good for you, good sir, SF advise applied to It's potential. Enjoy your new suits and shoes.

13. newintown23

Anyone know why i can not post a classified add? Is it because im new and dont have enough time here yet?

14. JubeiSpiegel

I believe there is a waiting period, there should be a rules meme...

15. newintown23

i purchased a custom David Reeves suit off of gilt for 880.. they normally go for 1500.. Im thinking about selling it since these suit supply suits fit so well OTR. what are your thoughts?

16. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I would keep it. It will likely be your new benchmark for suits, better than Suit Supply. Plus,:D if you consider that the tailoring costs are already built into the price, it's even cheaper.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  17. JubeiSpiegel

+1 It's more than likely a fantastically made suit, to your specific size. You can't beat that.

18. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also you'll get to choose from a wide range of fabrics and styling details - I'd use this opportunity to go for a suit that is maybe a bit more adventurous than your others.

19. JubeiSpiegel

Not sure a beginner should be experimenting so early. At least that is what the Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners thread would say :)

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

If he's already got 5ish suits though? I don't mean go crazy...but if your other suits are solids, maybe get a glen plaid or a windowpane or try some peak lapels or hacking pockets, something like that.

edit: just noticed that he got suits in the Washington fit, which has ticket pockets and peak lapels...that being the case, maybe getting a suit with fewer doodads would be the way to go with DR

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012