New Object Research - The Aitor Throup Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah, the fact that Aitor draws as well as he does and has all his characters in a lot of superhero poses sold him to me long before I actually saw any of the clothing online, lol. Been waiting for a proper release from him since I first saw his work online (about two years ago now?). Those that have been following him for even longer must have had it even rougher, hehe.

His graduation collection (Hooligans Become Hindu Gods) was the final push especially because I am a huge fan of Robert Heinlein's "Lord of Light" and it made me think about that in a way.

Editors and journalists seem to be pretty enamored with him as they have covered him for the last six years pretty well despite him having very little "traditional" output so I expect that if he can sustain his output in the coming years he is pretty much going to have smooth sailing for a while, but the response to his stuff over on places like SZ and even here is pretty lukewarm to say the least. It's like people cannot or refuse to see beyond the trappings of his presentation (skulls, wireframe mannequins etc) to actually see what it is he is doing with his construction and his concepts both for the clothing and his approach to the industry.

Maybe when more of his clothing starts showing up in street style shots and WAYWT photos people will get a bit more interested. Not that everyone needs to like what he is doing of course as aesthetically I can see how it won't be for everyone, but damn, people keep asking for "something new" and complaining about how everything is "boring" and when something like this comes along that is actually quite fresh, no one bats an eyelid. I guess it is the typical, people saying they want new things but not really wanting it to be too different to what they already have.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

2. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Pretty bad ass honestly I think the casts he uses for the show are pretty bad ass too imo

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

TOPMAN BLACK TROUSER PROJECT

Along with designers like Patrik Ervell, Todd Lynn, Anne-Sofie Back and Tim Hamilton, Aitor Throup was asked to design a pair of black trousers for TOPMAN. Unfortunately, the pictures I have been able to find online of the actual trousers produced are pretty small so there's just this one below in any reasonable size -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yup, and he hand assembles them himself -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

[​IMG]

Not sure whether it is Aitor himself or just some lucky (and loaded) guy that picked up the Skull backpack.

Yeah, that's Aitor Throup himself on the way to the showroom apparently.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

6. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

looks like he's wearing AT trousers too, judging by the back of the ankles

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Oh yeah, you're right. Wonder whether it was the denim pair at DSM or something earlier/more recent.

You saw the collection at DSM right jwjp? I think I remember you saying the denim felt pretty stiff. Would be cool to get your thoughts on that collection in this thread :).

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

that skull rucksack is so cool.

My girlfriend's sister is a very talented artist in high school at the moment (she came first in the world for cambridge art exams or something ridiculous) and she doesn't know what she wants to do at university. She's mentioned product design, architecture and just straight fine arts...I think I might show her some Aitor Throup and get her to read about his concepts.

I just love some of the things he was saying about coming up with a goal you want to achieve and then just doing each step the right way. It's quite applicable to a lot of things.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Shapes of things to come:
    Aitor Throup's menswear is conceptual but eminently wearable

Article by The Independent

source

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

10. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

I did indeed, here are my original thoughts:

Seeing it in person was a great experience, pictures don't do it justice - truly sculptural clothing. The denim was rubberised in some fashion - very stiff - and like I said I don't think it would be comfortable, although perhaps it would be the sort of thing that would mould to one's body. This thread has renewed my excitement for his clothes, I definitely intend to buy one of the new coat styles whenever they come out (even if it means saving up my pennies); I presume DSM will be selling them when the time comes.

I hope his archetypal design process succeeds - to know your favourite design or a piece you missed out on will return in some form or another is very reassuring.

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks for re-posting your comments man :).

Yeah, this for me is one of the main things I really hope can work out for AT and his team. I also really like the idea that he spends a lot of time fine-tuning and testing various ideas before he takes them to the development stage and then adds them to the archetype library for production. I just hope that with the apparently demanding production process, they can meet up to store demands.

Hopefully he won't end up going the CCP route with haphazard release schedules and really small runs of items.

It can't be easy creating clothing like this I imagine.

12. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

+1, great thread. Love AT's work, wish he had a retail side where some of these could be purchased (at likely ridiculous prices, but w/e)

13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Shiva Skull bag installation at Atelier New York FEBRUARY 11 - 14, 2013

[​IMG]

More info here

Looks like there will only be 10 available at Atelier and they will be going on sale from the 26th. I am pretty sure they will sell out before they hit the website actually, even at the purported $1700 price point, hehe.

Other places the shiva skull bag will be available are:

H Lorenzo - L.A
    I.T - Hong Kong
    Dover Street Market - London/Ginza
    Rail - Italy
    Antonioli - Italy
    Oki Ni - Online
    L'Eclaireur - Paris

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

14. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Not as steep as I thought it´d be, so it looks like they will probably sell out in a matter of seconds.

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Lol, yeah probably. Can't wait until I can travel and handle his stuff somewhere.