• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New MTM three-piece suit and shirt - please critique

wilhelm

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I recently picked up a new suit and shirts from a local MTM tailor store I haven't tried before. I'm going back there this week to order a couple of new suits for the summer, and need to figure out what to do differently this time.

Photos of the shirt and suit follow below. Critique is very welcome. I know of a few things that could be done better -- noted below -- but I'm sure I've missed something.

The suit is made from 17oz charcoal flannel from Holland and Sherry.

7-hs.jpg

5-jakke-lukket.jpg

There's something wrong with the trousers, I think. Are they too baggy? Too long?

6-jakke-bak.jpg

Hm. Are the arms too baggy? Also, there's a small bump in the cloth just below the collar.

4-jakke-apen.jpg

3-vest.jpg

1-skjorte-foran.jpg

2-skjorte-bak.jpg

Anything else? (c:

--
Wilhelm

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your pictures are too washed out to tell.

JaPo

Reaction score
Do the trousers need to be tapered? Perhaps cuffed?

I'm serious when I see you need to put on some weight. You look gaunt + unhealthy.

The suit doesn't fit badly but you can tell by the back of the shirt you need to pack on the pounds if you hope to fill it out. Are you a 26" waist?

Nice collection of shoes, by the way.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of Trainspotting.

Wondering if the sleeves on the jacket are too long?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that the OP asked about the suit, and you guys tell him to gain some weight. Very helpful.

Th pants are a bit too long and need to be tapered to get rid of that odd break about 3/4 of the way down. The jacket looks good in the chest, but the sleeves are too wide since you are so thin. Also, it's hard to tell but I think you need a little sleeve rotation - the bunching & wrinkling on the back of the sleeves indicates to me that they are hanging at a slightly different angle than your arms.
From the back it looks like the shoulders might be a tad too wide. The jacket can probably be brought in at the back a bit, but the shoulder area will have to be recut to remove excess fabric from the upper back (if that's even possible)

The button stance is high for my taste. Try not buttoning the top button on the suit jacket.

There is a slight bunch below your collar, needs a bit of adjustment

On the shirt, the sleeves are a bit too long. Also, since you have a long neck you might want to go for a higher collar stance - try two buttons at the neck. Mafoofan does this on his shirts - you can see examples in the WAYW thread. The shirt sleeves could also be narrower

These are nit-picks. The suit looks pretty good overall.

Hope that helps.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Pictures could use some more light but the suit looks pretty good for first time around. It looks like the back of the upper arms of the jacket could be cleaned up. Could just be how your standing though. They could possibly be slimmed down too but it's tough to tell by the pics if it's needed. The arms of the shirt look a little full on your very slender body. Maybe slim them down. Shirt cuffs look a touch big for my taste. Jacket looks like it's pulling just a touch when buttoned. Almost not enough to bother with though. If it were me I'd taper the pants a bit and maybe shorten the inseam for less break.

Not to pile on about your health but you don't look healthy. It's not that you're so skinny but the dark circles around the eyes. Not that it's any of our business but we're looking out for your health.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I think the suit fits ok but the button stance is too high, and the quarters are WAY too closed.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Most likely there's an underlying health issue. Taking weight gainer and a multivitamin is unfortunately not the answer.

wilhelm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Hope that helps.

Yes, this is exactly the type of feedback I need. Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by SlamMan
It looks like the back of the upper arms of the jacket could be cleaned up. (...) If it were me I'd taper the pants a bit and maybe shorten the inseam for less break.

Thanks. (c:

Originally Posted by Impressive
.. 8 hours sleep a day, ..

Bingo.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure about the suit, but you gotta fix that tie knot.

nairb49

Reaction score
Holy cow, your triangular shape is impressive. Its no wonder you have to get MTM, any tailored OTR would have to butcher the pants!

zeta

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I have a similar body shape, and its interesting to see what they've done with it...
Originally Posted by Impressive
If he is eating anything under 1815 calories it is not healthy and this can also be the issue.
Caloric restriction is in fact quite healthy, as long as you cover your bases nutrient-wise. I don't think there's much point fighting your basic body shape. If you put on fat, it will probably just end up as a potbelly, and if you lift weights, you'll just end up sinewy. Sinewy is good, but doesn't fill out clothing.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I wonder if I asked about a diet here if folks would tell me how my suit fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads