New Messenger/Briefcase for son!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PShow, Feb 15, 2008.

1. PShow

PShow Active Member

My son completed college in January and has just been hired to work in a large financial institution in Boston. I want to purchase him a messenger/briefcase that has some style. Cost can be up to $1500 or so. He currently has a Cartier business card case and a Bottega notepad carrier. Any suggestions? I had looked at Vuitton Epi, Burberry (black/grey) and a Prada. Thanks in advance!

2. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Swaine, pickett, goldpfeil, tumi.

There have been several threads on cases and you should be able to find them with a simple search.

3. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

I am currently wondering about a Dunhill sidecar to rotate with my Bally. You could also have one bespoke, If you have the time. Tumi's are quite low key and bullet prof.

4. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

Let your son become a subtile dandy at school.
    Do it with Cartier.

5. academe

academe Senior member

I quite like the Ghurka bags, although they don't look as sleek...

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Swaine, pickett, goldpfeil, tumi.

There have been several threads on cases and you should be able to find them with a simple search.

Maybe the New Collection from SAB that's 50% off now.

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/the_new_collection/

Would be £650

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Gee,

Whatever you get him, be sure it's got a strap. I used a case through 5 years of post-secondary and it got banged up and needed replacement about every 6 months. I found the cheap bags with the straps were better than the more expensive versions (I've had lots, expensive and not) for durability, because less pressure goes on the handle.

Tom

8. PShow

PShow Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Truly appreciate it. I stopped in the Montblanc store and they also had some nice messenger bags/cases. How about Coach, Gucci or Fendi? To feminine?

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions! Truly appreciate it. I stopped in the Montblanc store and they also had some nice messenger bags/cases. How about Coach, Gucci or Fendi? To feminine?
    I have a Coach leather bag that is about 10 or so years old. It has aged nicely and serves its purpose very well, daily.

10. robin

robin Senior member

I have a Coach leather bag that is about 10 or so years old. It has aged nicely and serves its purpose very well, daily.
    Coach bags of today are probably not up to the same standards of older ones from 10 years ago. [​IMG]

I'd second, or third, the recommendation for a SAB bag. It's a classic, and would last for a very long time if properly cared for.

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Nonono. None of those.

12. Outtastyle

Outtastyle Senior member

I don't know that I could part with this one but, you might consider something uncommon...with a distinctive, stand-alone character...such as this vintage bag by HIDESIGN:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sator

Sator Senior member

As previously stated please don't even think about these labels!!!

Try to see if you can find something from Valextra if you can. Hermes is arguably the best but it will probably be out of your price range.

14. PShow

PShow Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Obviously, it appears as though England really has the upper end of the briefcases covered? I am going to look at Ghurka today and see how they look. Those SAB bags are gorgeous but don't know where I can find these in the States.

15. robin

robin Senior member

Brooks Brothers carries some SAB bags I think.