• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member with narrow question.

Jon1

Reaction score
Hello, I've been enjoying the shoe Appreciation so much I decided to join the club.

My high end shoe collection consists of a couple of pairs of Aldens on the Hampton last - one a 12.5D, which is sharp looking and fits like a glove, a little too much so in the front (ie, the pinky toe is squeezed a bit). The other is a 12.5E, a comfy fit but a bit roomy and bulbous in appearance. Maybe should have tried 13D, but that's water under the bridge. It's time for something a little more stylish than the Aldens, anyway. So ...

I am considering CJ handgrades on the 337 last (no one sells in D.C. area, to my knowledge). Does anyone have any sense of how the fit of the 337 in the largest size (UK 12E) would compare to the above Aldens?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jon1
Hello, I've been enjoying the shoe Appreciation so much I decided to join the club.

My high end shoe collection consists of a couple of pairs of Aldens on the Hampton last - one a 12.5D, which is sharp looking and fits like a glove, a little too much so in the front (ie, the pinky toe is squeezed a bit). The other is a 12.5E, a comfy fit but a bit roomy and bulbous in appearance. Maybe should have tried 13D, but that's water under the bridge. It's time for something a little more stylish than the Aldens, anyway. So ...

I am considering CJ handgrades on the 337 last (no one sells in D.C. area, to my knowledge). Does anyone have any sense of how the fit of the 337 in the largest size (UK 12E) would compare to the above Aldens?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

A 12UK will fit like a 13 US and probably even a 13.5. I had the 337 last in a 9.5UK and I am a 10.5D US and they were a bit too big. Your only issue might be the narrowness of the 337 since it sounds like you are a bit wider than a D but you should be more than fine with a 12UK.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it seems to me that many here are more tuned to wearing their shoes a bit on the snug side. very fitted, very glovelike.

i do know that a 10 E uk is equivalent to a 10.5 D US. but like ed, he wears a 9.5 E or even a 9 to accomodate his feet.

i am a size 10 D US, but I wear a 9.5 E in both C&J and even Lobb (tried on at NM), and Santoni FAM on UK sizing.

maybe it is just me, but i wear my shoes not on the snug side, but a little bit looser, not where they are shifting inside the shoe, but enough that the width keeps the foot in place, although there may be extra room in the toe and maybe you can slip a pinky finger in the back where the heel is.

do most people here wear their shoes where you cannot slip a pinky finger at all in between the foot heel and the shoe heel counter?

rbny

Reaction score
I wear a US 9D for Aldens in the plaza last and a UK 8E for the C&J 337 last. However, I find that the 337 last is cut fuller all around and a little roomier at the heel area as compared to the Alden plaza last but slightly narrower by my pinkie toe than the plaza last.

If you ever make it to NYC, the Turnbull and Asser store carries a wide selection of C&J's on the 337 last. While you're there, check out the Alden store on Madison, they have special order styles that are unique to that particular store and not available anywhere else.

IMO, the C&J 337 last is one of the greatest looking shoe styles out there, however, they don't fit me as well as the Alden plaza last.

FYI,I tried on the same size UK 8E in several different styles but all on the same 337 last from the C&J store on the Jermyn Street in London and they all seem to fit differently.

Good luck.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
it seems to me that many here are more tuned to wearing their shoes a bit on the snug side. very fitted, very glovelike.

i do know that a 10 E uk is equivalent to a 10.5 D US. but like ed, he wears a 9.5 E or even a 9 to accomodate his feet.

i am a size 10 D US, but I wear a 9.5 E in both C&J and even Lobb (tried on at NM), and Santoni FAM on UK sizing.

maybe it is just me, but i wear my shoes not on the snug side, but a little bit looser, not where they are shifting inside the shoe, but enough that the width keeps the foot in place, although there may be extra room in the toe and maybe you can slip a pinky finger in the back where the heel is.

do most people here wear their shoes where you cannot slip a pinky finger at all in between the foot heel and the shoe heel counter?

I prefer my shoes a little loose as well.

Jon1

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas, for the tips.

Here's a related question: Does anyone have any experience comparing the 337 last to the 350? The latter looks as if it's sleeker in the rear but with a wider flare on the side. (But it's only available in Paris, right?)

Jon1

Reaction score
Well yes, of course, though it's useful to read what people have to say about these various styles after having worn them for awhile. In store impressions can be deceiving, especially when the help is less than sterling.

But your point is well taken. I suppose a shoe shopping trip to New York is in order (it's slim pickings in D.C. No CJ that I'm aware off, and Sky Valet's in stock selections are limited.)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If you are buying shoes to wear for twenty years, they had better be snug when you buy them or they'll stretch to unwearability long before they are worn out.

leathers will stretch to conform to the wearer's foot i believe. it will converge (stretch-out-wise) to settle at a point where it will be inline with the foots every move.
so if the shoe was snug, yes, it will stretch out over the years; converge.
but if the shoes were a bit on the comfy/tad looser side. it won't stretch out anymore, as it already is at that point or past that point of conformity with the foot.

i dont think leathers (good quality leathers) will stretch just to stretch over the years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads