• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member Thailand Query

Jimmy

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I'm a very new member and am very much enjoying reading through some posts on here, especially the WAYWN and the non-sartorialist threads.

I don't know if anyone will be able to help, but in July i'm heading to Bangkok for 4 days and Koh Samui for a week.

Does anyone have experiences with good tailors on Koh Samui?

I don't think i will have time in Bangkok,

thanks everyone, cheers.
Jimmy

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimmy
hi everyone,

I'm a very new member and am very much enjoying reading through some posts on here, especially the WAYWN and the non-sartorialist threads.

I don't know if anyone will be able to help, but in July i'm heading to Bangkok for 4 days and Koh Samui for a week.

Does anyone have experiences with good tailors on Koh Samui?

I don't think i will have time in Bangkok,

thanks everyone, cheers.
Jimmy

I think it has been posted here that there are two tailors which are well-known amongst those who visited Thailand, but they both situated in Bangkok.

Anyway, welcome to my home country.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Out of interest what was the Bangkok ones?

I'm tossing up whether it's worth it to buy a suit, seems like most people say its a pain in the bum and you dont end up getting anything decent.

Perphaps better to putting my hard earned toward new ones here in Australia or perhaps a couple of pre-loved from the selling forum...

cheers

deepitm

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesHK
For shirts go to Milan Suit in Sukhumvit Rd under ASOK station. Not a great range of shirting but good quality maker and will do as you ask.
For suits go to Narin Couture also in Sukhumvit Rd on the same side as Milan Suit but further up the road between Asok and Nana stations.

Narin is Thai as is the guy at Milan Suit. I've tried both these men and their work is good. They are both highly recommended in that Lonely Planet blog too..

I just got back from BKK and can second this opinion on shirts. I had read one post on SF suggesting that the Narin shirts didn't end up holding up that well and that worried me. As a result I opted for Milan Suit even though Narin feels more legit. Narin definitely has better fabric choices and is a bit more expensive, but Kiet at Milan knows what he's doing. I ordered 3 shirts to start at 1200 THB per shirt ($40 USD at the time). I did a mix of slim, non-pleated Oxfords and a semi-spread dress shirt with darts in a pinpoint cotton. Shirts were all very good on the first fitting and required no alterations. I re-upped and got another 3 (another oxford and 2 more semi-spread collar dress shirts), this time in a higher quality pinpoint on the dress shirts as the colors I liked were made w/ fancier cloth. Those were 1500 THB ($50), and were ready in 2.5 days and were perfect. I cannot comment on long term quality because I haven't had the shirts very long, but the stitching and collars all seem well done. I would suggest Milan if you are looking for basic solids and stripes, but if you want a specific fabric you may be best off bringing that on your own. I don't know the basic rate for shirt construction if the fabric is supplied by the customer. If you want MoP buttons, you will also need to provide them as he doesn't regularly stock them. Not really important to me but important to some

Also, he has a really rad dog named Fox. All in all, 6 shirts that fit great and altogether less than 8000 THB ($270). In hindsight, I actually wish I had gotten more.

Worth mentioning, I do speak some Thai and I did bring an example shirt to show how I liked my shirts to fit. I would suggest others be explicit in what they want as well as style concerns can sometimes get lost in translation.

I would not recommend getting a suit in Thailand...ESPECIALLY IN KOH SAMUI which is a tourist trap in its entirety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads