• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member seeking bespoke shoe advice

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Have you tried Alden's Modified last? It has very strong arch support, and Molded Shoe in New York has a wide range of styles/designs for it.

Hangman

Reaction score
I once sent a pair of English bespoke shoes to Perry for repair, and he did a beautiful job. He sent me the bill in the same package as the shoes. Old school.

I've had Vogel make me about 8 pairs, but 6 of them were boots. I would recommend their boots.

Do not choose loafers as your first pair of bespoke shoes. Unlike a shoe with laces, there is little margin for error. If you mention loafers and they don't try to talk you out of it, run away.

I think I've used 4 different bespoke makers over the years, but none of them have offered a fitting half way through the process. A forward fitting (or whatever you call it) would have saved me a lot of disappointment.

Good luck!

12 Wide

Reaction score
Thank you all for the informative replies-I'm learning so much here. Perry sounds like the best bet right now. I'm looking forward to that walking on a cloud feeling!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Perry will do a completely bespoke last. He's not the only one who will do the lengthy measurement, foam impressions, gait analysis, etc., but he's the one of that bunch who has produced the best results for me. (There are other, lower-tech makers whose work I also like-- and who might do well for you also.)
Since you're already talking about travelling to see somebody, you might think about the London makers who come to NY (or other major US cities),
or hop a flight for Vienna. You'll need as many as two visits to get the pattern right, but the up-front cost will be recouped on the back end. Prices in Central Europe are significantly lower than in London and NYC.

i encourage this advice.

what do you mean by the pattern? the fit? i think one subsequent visit should suffice. iirc, maftei made a try on model for a member here over the weekend. ymmv.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads