• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member, New Journey, New Wardrobe

Verve

Reaction score
Hello SF. I’m starting a new thread to get new and veteran members involved. I’m sharing my journey and hope people in the same situation can join this thread to share similar experiences, while hoping veteran members may offer occasional advice because there is no substitute for experience.

I’m in Flagstaff, AZ, and travel to the Phoenix area and Las Vegas quite often. This past year, I am upgrading/replacing my entire wardrobe of currently 10 suits (mostly fused and low quality) that range from maybe 10 to 20 years old. I wear suits for work (financial services), but would love to start incorporating a casual look & style outside of the office as well. There is no true bespoke houses in areas I frequent, but I have considered SW Wilson (Scottsdale), Gary Franzen (Vegas), Suit Supply MTM program, and MTM online sites.

Suits: I chose Articles of Style (MTM online) as my first high quality suit maker and will receive a navy hopsack 3-piece suit (full canvas) in 1 to 4 weeks (ordered earlier this year). My next suits I’ve ordered will be charcoal (small check pattern), light grey (small houndstooth), and brown’ish (Donegal Tweed) suits, all 3-pieces. My problem areas are usually broad shoulders that also make the chest area tight. I’ve gone to the gym for 17 years and then gained 25 pounds since quitting 5 years ago ?. I’m sporting a dad bod now.

Shirts: I also ordered 3 shirts from AOS. White OCBD, light blue, and bengal stripe blue. I received the white oxford, which is currently getting the final alterations done and finished in a week. I just ordered 3 additional shirts yesterday with pretty interesting and subtle patterns at Q Contrary (Phoenix) that will be white, lavender, & light grey.

Shoes: This past year, I picked up a couple of Allen Edmonds (factory seconds), which were walnut 5th avenue and black park avenue. I’m waiting for cigar or dark brown strands to go on sale for my 3rd shoe purchase. My 4th may be a wholecut burgundy custom oxford at TLB Mallorca. AE was chosen due to my size EEE width feet.

Ties: I haven’t bought any high quality ties yet, but I’m eyeballing Sam Hober (found this thanks to SF) ties. I am looking at a navy grenadine, black & white Prince of Whales, and brown & navy grendaine cashmere/silk tie. My budget for my 2020 wardrobe has been blown up already, so I’m holding off for now.

Pocket Squares: I have a few, but I don’t have the staple white linen one yet, so I will be purchasing one in the future from Kent Wang, which is another good vendor found thanks to SF.

If there is any interest to this thread, I‘ll start adding pics to my new wardrobe as they arrive. I welcome all advice and look forward to maybe other members‘ experiences, both positive reviews of purchases or regrettable mistakes, or even fun stories to share. Thanks!

Verve

Reaction score
I just purchased my 3rd pair. Didn’t think I would get a non-factory-seconds of a Strand model at $140.00 (plus tax). Coffee is the color, but I preferred the Cigar color. I couldn’t pass this price though, plus I can use a slightly darker brown shoe polish to get it closer to a darker shade of brown.

2nd pic is my 3 foundational pairs to go with my suits.

1605848428659.jpeg

1605848701708.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads