• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF NOV 30, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

mruseless

Reaction score
Can anyone get me an ID on the jacket to the far right (barbour-looking jacket with blackwatch tartan).

All I know is that it's Dries Van Noten. I'm assuming it's from an old season.

Many thanks.

gsasso

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a minimalist sneaker for under $100 (maybe $125 if it's really worth it)? I'm under no illusions that I'll get top quality spending this much, but I only wear sneakers a couple times a week.

I currently have a pair of Stan Smiths, and was considering the Kent Wang benchgrade sneakers.

Thanks.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New to raw denim. Want to try 501 STFs to start. Consensus seems to be to buy TTS or size down 1" in waist, and size up 2-3" in length. If it matters, I have big thighs and usually wear 541s.

Should I go with my normal 34" waist or size down to 33"? Should wear them to dry or just let them hang dry?

KAPS1M0

Reaction score
Hello styleforum.

I found a "Timberland Boot Company" thread and a thread called "Official Shoe Care", but I decided to post here because I am a newbie. Here goes:

I have a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers and I want to start taking care of them. Timberland's website only mentions the following products in the Care Instructions:
Boot Sauce™ Cleaner, Balm Proofer™ All-Purpose Protector, Air Raider™ Boot & Shoe Refresher, Boot Sauce™ Conditioner
I know one's a leather cleaner, the second is a leather conditioner, third one is supposed to protect and help them repel water, and the last one is a "deodorant".
What I don't know is whether these cleaner, conditioner and protector are any good. Are they worth it?

The Earthkeepers aren't top-class boots so I'm not looking for the best treat for them. I just want them clean, conditioned and withstanding the rain while wearing them casually during the day. So should I go on and buy these Timberland products or should I look elsewhere?

Also, whatever product I buy, how do I apply it? Will I need a brush, a cloth?

Any help would be really appreciated, even directing me towards another thread, forum, resource, whatever.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a minimalist sneaker for under $100 (maybe $125 if it's really worth it)? I'm under no illusions that I'll get top quality spending this much, but I only wear sneakers a couple times a week.

I currently have a pair of Stan Smiths, and was considering the Kent Wang benchgrade sneakers.

Thanks.

Good choice.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey Murl I just wanted to update from my last thread, you were right, its been a few days and the chukkas have broken in quite amazingly to my feet!! these are timberland chukkas and they have the antifatique sole and i got them for that and also because they are the only chukka i found with decent grip on the bottom for winter times...these chukkas are heaven for me and I used to be a sneaker only guy but I will never wear sneakers again, i love these chukkas so much and they are just as comfy as sneakers imo but look amazing and when I wear them i feel like a god. Im so anti sneaker now that in the summertime I will wear boatshoes when I wear shorts even if it bleeds my feet to death, but I will never touch sneakers again!! Also looking at all the people who are wearing sneakers i get that snobby feeling in my head like "oh you still wear sneakers? how quaint..." LOL jk!!

also i wanted to ask, when should i start some maintenance on the boots? just got them few days ago, wore them few days ago and they already getting salty from outside snow/salt...so do i just need leather honey shoe conditioner and some brown kiwi polish? so basically the conditioner keeps them from cracking and the polish gives them a shine+water proof? how often should i clean + condition?

Just brush regularly and give them some conditioner every now and then. You shouldn't need to polish very often. The guys in here http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc know way more than I do, but can get carried away sometimes.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
can I just use a blazer as my spring jacket? maybe cus im older, but lately I've been wanting to be more dressy/fashionable, which is why for example I no longer wear sneakers and instead wear chukkas or chelsea boots and if I wear shorts I wear boat shoes, and in the winter instead of wearing my old ugly big coat I got myself a nice Pea coat... but I'm thinking when Spring comes around my pea coat will be too hot, and I don't want to go back to those plastic/fleece jackets...so I was thinking if i wake up on a spring morning and its cold but too warm for my peacoat, Can I just don this blazer that I am thinking about buying?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/inc-international-concepts-sanders-two-button-blazer-only-at-macys?ID=2365469&CategoryID=16499&LinkType=#fn=GENDER%3DMale%26PAGEINDEX%3D2%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D597%26slotId%3D80%26kws%3Dblazer

thanks

Could you? Sure. I don't like the style of that thing at all though.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could, but there are a lot of fashionable light jackets. Harringtons, field jackets, shirt jackets, etc. It depends on what else you're wearing.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry for posting so much, but this spring jacket situation is really bothering me D:

but otherwise I was thinking i like this bomber jacket because it looks like it has a nice comfy collar and looks good from what i can tell, what do you think?

I love bomber jackets. Oliver Spencer makes some really nice ones that you can find on Yoox every now and then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics