• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF SEP 7, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

PeterRoss1

Reaction score
This may seem a daft question but I'm wondering if there is an answer out there.

Is there a smallest size of Ralph Lauren shirt? Like for example will a small slim fit Oxford shirt vary in size to a small slim fit Poplin shirt. Might be a daft question but just looking for some help.

maikal00112

Reaction score
Hello, Newbie here..

I am in the market for a nice quality suit for following purposes:
-Friend's wedding coming up
-Will be joining a consulting firm or a Similar Corporate level job
where i hope the dress code is formal, I always wanted to tackle the world problems in suits ha ha

About me:
-23 year old Immigrant from India (black hair, light brown skin, brown eyes, 5' 08")
-Undergraduate degree in Biology
-Entrepreneur (the reason I want to join consulting firm is because i want to learn practical knowledge of business and what not..I don't have a business degree and don't want to get one. I may get MBA, some consulting firms pay for it, I probably will go to some elite MBA program later.
-I am slowly understanding the value of Man's wardrobe. Before and I still do sometimes, i used to go out in gym shorts and shoes.
-I currently work as a valet and on the side, I'm trying to get into consulting firms and getting my entrepreneur projects started.
-- once this becomes official, i would like to dress in suits...you know the feeling.

so my goals are:
1, Have my first nice/qualitynsuit in the wardrobe, which i can wear to weddings, interviews for the job, entrepreneur pitching, and other social occasions.
2. I don't want to spend huge amount in my first suit, as I would like to get to know the feeling of wearing the suit and what not..
so my current budget is $300.
3. in short, I want a quality suit that is not cheap or breaks down easily and also I don't want to overdress by investing in high price/high quality brand suits.

sorry, it's a long list, but I wanted to paint a complete picture..
thank you for you help in advance, help me out and I will help future newbies to get the mentor-mentee cycle going..

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This may seem a daft question but I'm wondering if there is an answer out there. 

Is there a smallest size of Ralph Lauren shirt? Like for example will a small slim fit Oxford shirt vary in size to a small slim fit Poplin shirt. Might be a daft question but just looking for some help.

Welcome to the forum, Pete. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference between fabrics if they are the same maker and cut.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello, Newbie here..

I am in the market for a nice quality suit for following purposes:
-Friend's wedding coming up
-Will be joining a consulting firm or a Similar Corporate level job
where i hope the dress code is formal, I always wanted to tackle the world problems in suits ha ha

About me:
-23 year old Immigrant from India (black hair, light brown skin, brown eyes, 5' 08")
-Undergraduate degree in Biology
-Entrepreneur (the reason I want to join consulting firm is because i want to learn practical knowledge of business and what not..I don't have a business degree and don't want to get one. I may get MBA, some consulting firms pay for it, I probably will go to some elite MBA program later.
-I am slowly understanding the value of Man's wardrobe. Before and I still do sometimes, i used to go out in gym shorts and shoes.
-I currently work as a valet and on the side, I'm trying to get into consulting firms and getting my entrepreneur projects started.
-- once this becomes official, i would like to dress in suits...you know the feeling.

so my goals are:
1, Have my first nice/qualitynsuit in the wardrobe, which i can wear to weddings, interviews for the job, entrepreneur pitching, and other social occasions.
2. I don't want to spend huge amount in my first suit, as I would like to get to know the feeling of wearing the suit and what not..
so my current budget is $300.
3. in short, I want a quality suit that is not cheap or breaks down easily and also I don't want to overdress by investing in high price/high quality brand suits.

sorry, it's a long list, but I wanted to paint a complete picture..
thank you for you help in advance, help me out and I will help future newbies to get the mentor-mentee cycle going..

Welcome to the forum, maikal. Glad to hear you're taking an interest into menswear and want to your best. If you can save up for a budget of $4-500, then I would highly recommend Suit Supply. I can't recommend anything in the $300 range....not anything that will last and looks good.

joshsparkes

Reaction score
Hello oh wise ones

I am putting together a new outfit to wear on the town, something classy, i was thinking a blazer/button down/ dark navy jeans combo.

At the moment i have planned: oxblood shoes and belt ( maybe watch but if not, dark brown)
Dark navy jeans (hugo boss - very dark, levis - slightly less so)
White shirt, or henri llyod pink and white fine striped shirt - light shirts in general

The blazer is where i am stuck though, dark blue has not enough contrast, i think a medium grey would go well but am yet to try.

What do you think? Id imagine this is an outfit most guys have, just wondering what really works.

Nb. Also considering charcoal trousers with the dark blue blazer, have seen some encouraging pics.

Im in milan for a few days from tomorrow so will no doubt do some shopping

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello oh wise ones

I am putting together a new outfit to wear on the town, something classy, i was thinking a blazer/button down/ dark navy jeans combo.

At the moment i have planned: oxblood shoes and belt ( maybe watch but if not, dark brown)
Dark navy jeans (hugo boss - very dark, levis - slightly less so)
White shirt, or henri llyod pink and white fine striped shirt - light shirts in general

The blazer is where i am stuck though, dark blue has not enough contrast, i think a medium grey would go well but am yet to try.

What do you think? Id imagine this is an outfit most guys have, just wondering what really works.

Nb. Also considering charcoal trousers with the dark blue blazer, have seen some encouraging pics.

Im in milan for a few days from tomorrow so will no doubt do some shopping

Welcome to the forum, josh. The easy choice is to just go with grey trousers and the dark blue blazer, which would work with oxblood shoes (not sure what style) and those shirts. If your going to do the denim with a blazer, just make sure the blazer has casual elements or it will look out of place.

noname199

Reaction score
Bought a pair of boots that kind of look and feel like cowboy boots (if it's any helpful information on the type of leather). They look like this: http://ccc.eu/en/woman/catalog/Lasocki/348546 They're the same brand.
I thought I'd add some beeswax before wearing them for the first time since it was raining, and they started darkening as if wet when I applied the product. The more I added the darker they got so fortunately I stopped right in time, but after 20 hours or so I still can see them darker where I applied the product. I am not sure if the beeswax helped with the water, it doesn't seem to create a protecting layer. They also had some sort of shine to them I think I just ruined.
So my question is how should I deal with this type of leather? What to do to protect them against water and rain? What kind of product would not darken my boots?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bought a pair of boots that kind of look and feel like cowboy boots (if it's any helpful information on the type of leather). They look like this: http://ccc.eu/en/woman/catalog/Lasocki/348546 They're the same brand.
I thought I'd add some beeswax before wearing them for the first time since it was raining, and they started darkening as if wet when I applied the product. The more I added the darker they got so fortunately I stopped right in time, but after 20 hours or so I still can see them darker where I applied the product. I am not sure if the beeswax helped with the water, it doesn't seem to create a protecting layer. They also had some sort of shine to them I think I just ruined.
So my question is how should I deal with this type of leather? What to do to protect them against water and rain? What kind of product would not darken my boots?

Welcome to the forum, noname. Try asking your question here http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc. The shoe care guys can help you out.

Tenzing

Reaction score
Hi,

First time here.

Normally I don't wear classic menswear, but passing 35 I now feel like dressing up a bit more.
I live in Oslo and have been looking around town for a casual sport jacket in a little heavier fabric. My conclusion is that it's really hard to find what u want with a great fit. I'm looking for something that works for many seasons and is easy to dress up or down.

Something like this but with patch pockets:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...266&ab=ln_men_cs_sportcoats&parentPage=family

Maybe this sounds crazy from someone who doesn't own more than one sport jacket, but I'm thinking about having one made for me (bespoke). Initially I was thinking something in blue/navy, but I also had light grey in mind. With all the fabrics I could choose from, and since I don't really know which one is more versatile, I feel I'm a bit stuck.

Grey looks awesome and maybe even more casual than navy/blue?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...266&ab=ln_men_cs_sportcoats&parentPage=family

So was wondering if anyone could give any advice.

Is it easier to wear grey (in the same fabric as blue/navy) with more kinds of trousers?
With a heavy fabric sport jacket, what kind of trousers look good?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi,

First time here.

Normally I don't wear classic menswear, but passing 35 I now feel like dressing up a bit more.
I live in Oslo and have been looking around town for a casual sport jacket in a little heavier fabric. My conclusion is that it's really hard to find what u want with a great fit. I'm looking for something that works for many seasons and is easy to dress up or down.

Something like this but with patch pockets:

Maybe this sounds crazy from someone who doesn't own more than one sport jacket, but I'm thinking about having one made for me (bespoke). Initially I was thinking something in blue/navy, but I also had light grey in mind. With all the fabrics I could choose from, and since I don't really know which one is more versatile, I feel I'm a bit stuck.

Grey looks awesome and maybe even more casual than navy/blue?

So was wondering if anyone could give any advice.

Is it easier to wear grey (in the same fabric as blue/navy) with more kinds of trousers?
With a heavy fabric sport jacket, what kind of trousers look good?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. A navy sportcoat is much easier to wear than a light grey...by far. It goes with almost anything. If you need something heavy, try a blue/navy flannel herringbone with patch pockets. You'd get a ton of wear out of it.

d0ntc4r3

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea for a while now. I want to start wearing a suit everywhere I go. I like looking sharp. I work in an office and it's pretty much casual Friday everyday. One of my co-workers wears a suit everyday and he's kind of convinced me. What do you guys think?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been playing around with the idea for a while now. I want to start wearing a suit everywhere I go. I like looking sharp. I work in an office and it's pretty much casual Friday everyday. One of my co-workers wears a suit everyday and he's kind of convinced me. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum, d0nt. First off, you can look "sharp" without wearing a suit. If you think wearing a suit everyday to the office won't be an issue and it's something you want to do, go for it. You also have the sportcoat/odd trousers option to consider. Best of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads