• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF SEP 28, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

twitchknaf

Reaction score
could someone explain how to read these tags for a completely ignorant person aka me

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

could someone explain how to read these tags for a completely ignorant person aka me 

Welcome to the forum. What do you want to know? It's a size 54R that came with drop 7 trousers....that means the trouser waist is 7" less than the chest size.

emr0409

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a different one for you. My fiance is a very large man, probably a size 78 suit with a 72 pant. He's very round so for our upcoming wedding I purchased him a size 80 jacket to be sure it fit around him. However my fear was unfounded, it's probably about 2-3 inches too big in the front and the shoulders about a half inch too broad for him. I didn't want to go down a size, but probably should have.

Do you guys think I should return it for the smaller size or do you think a tailor could work a little magic. Cost isn't a factor.

ccl1987

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been reading some forum posts on good quality suits, suits around $1,000 etc. and I ended up finding some pictures of suits I really like. However, I can't seem to find places to buy them online, either because they're no longer available or I can't figure out which suit is shown in the lookbook photo. I need some help finding suits similar to the ones below that I can purchase online in the $700 - $1,500 price range, perhaps willing to max out at $2k if I find the perfect suit. Thank you!

Notes on the style I'm looking for:
• I like the blue suit with brown shoes look.
• I'm open to different shades of blue (as one is clearly lighter than the other in the below examples), but I do not like pinstripes.
• I'm looking for the suit to be suitable to wear in the summer, so it needs to be light and allow me to breathe.
• I'm 6'1", 175 pounds with an athletic, slim build. I hate baggy suits. I want it to look slim and good on me.

Inspiration look 1 (From the J Lindeberg 2013 Summer/Spring collection - but I can't find anything similar in this year's collection).

Inspiration Look 2 (The one on the left. This is from the Corneliani Spring/Summer 2015 Look Book).

For this last one, I was able to find some available in the UK (but not US) on Selfridges. However, I need help even understanding the differences between the suits (and which one is actually the one shown in the picture!)

Here are the suits I found on Selfridges that are similar to the 2nd inspiration picture above:
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat..._418-1000131-726818159/?previewAttribute=Navy
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...-1000131-722218111/?previewAttribute=Mid+blue
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat..._418-1000131-723117039/?previewAttribute=Blue
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...1000131-722218111/?previewAttribute=High+blue

I really would appreciate it if someone on here could help in any way!

Cheers,
ccl1987

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been reading some forum posts on good quality suits, suits around $1,000 etc. and I ended up finding some pictures of suits I really like. However, I can't seem to find places to buy them online, either because they're no longer available or I can't figure out which suit is shown in the lookbook photo. I need some help finding suits similar to the ones below that I can purchase online in the $700 - $1,500 price range, perhaps willing to max out at $2k if I find the perfect suit. Thank you!

Notes on the style I'm looking for:
• I like the blue suit with brown shoes look.
• I'm open to different shades of blue (as one is clearly lighter than the other in the below examples), but I do not like pinstripes.
• I'm looking for the suit to be suitable to wear in the summer, so it needs to be light and allow me to breathe.
• I'm 6'1", 175 pounds with an athletic, slim build. I hate baggy suits. I want it to look slim and good on me.

Inspiration look 1 (From the J Lindeberg 2013 Summer/Spring collection - but I can't find anything similar in this year's collection).

Inspiration Look 2 (The one on the left. This is from the Corneliani Spring/Summer 2015 Look Book).

For this last one, I was able to find some available in the UK (but not US) on Selfridges. However, I need help even understanding the differences between the suits (and which one is actually the one shown in the picture!)

Here are the suits I found on Selfridges that are similar to the 2nd inspiration picture above:
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat..._418-1000131-726818159/?previewAttribute=Navy
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...-1000131-722218111/?previewAttribute=Mid+blue
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat..._418-1000131-723117039/?previewAttribute=Blue
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...1000131-722218111/?previewAttribute=High+blue

I really would appreciate it if someone on here could help in any way!

Cheers,
ccl1987

Welcome to the forum, ccl. It's really hard to say if any of those are the exact suit from that picture...that are all very similar. It's a pretty standard slim (borderline skinny) navy suit. You're giving yourself a pretty big budget to work with and you shouldn't have a hard time finding something similar....like this one that is less than half the price http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...967I.html?cgid=Suits&prefn1=color&prefv1=Blue

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a different one for you. My fiance is a very large man, probably a size 78 suit with a 72 pant. He's very round so for our upcoming wedding I purchased him a size 80 jacket to be sure it fit around him. However my fear was unfounded, it's probably about 2-3 inches too big in the front and the shoulders about a half inch too broad for him. I didn't want to go down a size, but probably should have.

Do you guys think I should return it for the smaller size or do you think a tailor could work a little magic. Cost isn't a factor.

Welcome to the forum emr and congrats on the wedding. If the suit doesn't fit in the shoulders, return it.

frankrose135

Reaction score
i am going to be purchasing a custom made suit.i have a couple of questions maybe you can help me with....

Kissing buttons or standard buttons?

Color on button hole or just leave bottom button open?

peak or notch lapel?

Kindly Advise,

FRANK

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i am going to be purchasing a custom made suit.i have a couple of questions maybe you can help me with....

Kissing buttons or standard buttons?

Color on button hole or just leave bottom button open?

peak or notch lapel?

Kindly Advise,

FRANK

Welcome to the forum, Frank.

I prefer kissing buttons, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Colored button holes...NO. Like really, NO. Not sure what you mean by just bottom button open...?

Again, it's a matter of personal preference. That said, no to peak with patch hip pockets. No to peak with casual fabrics. Personally, I don't like peak on any single breasted suit (other than tux), but plenty of others guys do. Get what you like.

Last edited:

packerforthree

Reaction score

Where could I find pants like these?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads