• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF SEP 21, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

ClassyPenguin

Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been looking for a new fall shoe. What option do you all think would be best for the fall and winter? I live in NJ, so the climate will be overall dry. I'll be wearing them with chinos and jeans.

The Clymer Boot
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/boots/clymer-boot.html
The Suede Clymers
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/ranger-moc/clymer-2-0-suede.html
Or the regular Clymer 2.0
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/ranger-moc/clymer-2-0.html

Welcome to the forum, CP. I'd go with the Clymer boot.

twandiggs

Reaction score
Anybody else experience bad pocket flare or front rise being too tight? Am I alone here? Drives me insane.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anybody else experience bad pocket flare or front rise being too tight? Am I alone here? Drives me insane. 

Welcome to the forum, tw. Everyone has experienced this, but that just means the size and/or cut isn't for you. Return and move on to another maker until you find what's right for you. Sounds like you might need to size up and just take in the waist a bit. Best of luck.

pmcguinness

Reaction score
Guys,

Trying to decide which to go with here. I desperately need a new belt.

Have always been into Miansai but came across this new brand Upton recently that I'm kinda liking. Thoughts??

Blue is Miansai ($220 @ Barneys), black is Upton ($130 @ http://uptonbelts.com).

Thanks!
- Pete

Last edited:

mrdb

Reaction score
HI Guys

I was looking to buy a blazer from ebay. Since I don't wear them a lot and don't have much expertise I needed some advise with the blazers(as posted by the sellers) below. I think most of them are orphan suits but wanted some confirmation.

I think this is a blazer because of the buttons and the material is a cotton polyester mix

This one is 100 % wool and feels like as orphan suit

This one too is 100% wool and feels like an orphan suit

From what I understand by reading other posts is that buttons which are same colored as the coat, 100 % worsted wool, jetted pockets and pin stripes are sure shot way to distinguish an orphan suit but since these were just stated as wool I wasn't sure. Thanks for you help in advance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HI Guys

I was looking to buy a blazer from ebay. Since I don't wear them a lot and don't have much expertise I needed some advise with the blazers(as posted by the sellers) below. I think most of them are orphan suits but wanted some confirmation.

I think this is a blazer because of the buttons and the material is a cotton polyester mix

This one is 100 % wool and feels like as orphan suit

This one too is 100% wool and feels like an orphan suit

From what I understand by reading other posts is that buttons which are same colored as the coat, 100 % worsted wool, jetted pockets and pin stripes are sure shot way to distinguish an orphan suit but since these were just stated as wool I wasn't sure. Thanks for you help in advance.

Welcome to the forum. None of those are great choices. The first blazer/SC you should look for is a true navy blazer. Something like this http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jack...5I.html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=fit&prefv1=Havana.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys,

Trying to decide which to go with here. I desperately need a new belt.

Have always been into Miansai but came across this new brand Upton recently that I'm kinda liking. Thoughts??

Blue is Miansai ($220 @ Barneys), black is Upton ($130 @ http://uptonbelts.com).

Thanks!
- Pete

First I've heard of Upton...they don't look too bad. Check out these guys...better prices and customization options.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/equus-leather-bridle-leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread
http://www.equusleather.co.uk

pmcguinness

Reaction score
Dude -- I get it all the time. I bought a pair of Zanerobe pants the other day and it was so bad! haha.

I think it has to do with my height. I'm about 6'6" and since the pants fit kind of skinny, the pockets flare out a bit. I have a pair of Vince dress pants that are much looser around the upper thigh and they don't seem to flare as much.

mrdb

Reaction score
Hi Murlsquirl

Thanks for the advice. just a quick question. I have seen some navy blue blazers but none that have a patch pocket like the blazer has in your link, only those which have a flap pocket. Is that fine for a blazer? Thanks again.

paul17

Reaction score
I'm building a wardrobe and need advice. I've searched other posts but can't reach a conclusion. Which is preferable, in your opinion, for a professional looking for a suit that will be worn once or every other week? I'm looking at Hickey Freeman Tasmanian Super 150 MTM or Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece OTR. BB GF would be about $100 less expensive. BB GF is Super 140. Are these fabrics too lightweight for once a week use?

TMAdidas

Reaction score
MTM will (usually) be a better fit under most circumstances, just my 2 cents.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Murlsquirl

Thanks for the advice. just a quick question. I have seen some navy blue blazers but none that have a patch pocket like the blazer has in your link, only those which have a flap pocket. Is that fine for a blazer? Thanks again.

Sure, nothing saying they have to be patch hip pockets. If you can, post a link or picture here for one you are considering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads