• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF SEP 14, 2015

Ethanr

Reaction score
That price range for MTM is really tough. I have yet to see a good result from Modern Tailor or Indochino. Kent Wang has a pretty good reputation here, but he would run you about $800 for entry level fabrics.
@Murlsquirl Hmmm that is disappointing, but understandable. I have a lot of trouble buying off the rack at a lot of department stores because of my size, I'm 6'3 350lbs would it be possbile for you to give me some advice on where I could go or what my options are?

Last edited:

Ethanr

Reaction score
That price range for MTM is really tough. I have yet to see a good result from Modern Tailor or Indochino. Kent Wang has a pretty good reputation here, but he would run you about $800 for entry level fabrics.
I'm new to the suit world and as you know my budget isn't large. If you know of any OTR stores that carry bigger suits I will defiantly try them. I have heard so much mixed reviews from both OTR and MTM Sites that it's hard to gauge what is the better option.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm new to the suit world and as you know my budget isn't large. If you know of any OTR stores that carry bigger suits I will defiantly try them. I have heard so much mixed reviews from both OTR and MTM Sites that it's hard to gauge what is the better option.

Have you looked at Suit Supply? They are within you budget, but not knowing what your measurements are, not sure if that works for you.

Ethanr

Reaction score
Have you looked at Suit Supply? They are within you budget, but not knowing what your measurements are, not sure if that works for you.
My chest and stomach are my biggest issues, My chest measures at 58 inches and my stomach measures at about the same. and my shoulders are about 24 inches.

Last edited:

Grog

Reaction score
I have a casual house party coming up and what better opportunity to dress up a bit more than usual.

I was thinking blue canvas derby or bluchers with my smart black Levi jeans, a navy blue v-neck sweater with either shirt and tie or polo underneath (what colours should I have them?).

What works, what's wrong, what can I improve? (FYI I'm 6'4", thin with pale skin with darker blonde hair)

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My chest and stomach are my biggest issues, My chest measures at 58 inches and my stomach measures at about the same. and my shoulders are about 24 inches.

Didn't see anything available that would fit you. How much does Indochino charge for MTM?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a casual house party coming up and what better opportunity to dress up a bit more than usual.

I was thinking blue canvas derby or bluchers with my smart black Levi jeans, a navy blue v-neck sweater with either shirt and tie or polo underneath (what colours should I have them?).

What works, what's wrong, what can I improve? (FYI I'm 6'4", thin with pale skin with darker blonde hair)

Welcome to the forum, Grog. Do you have pictures of the shoes? I would swap the jeans out with chinos or blue denim and swap out the polo with a nice oxford cloth button down.

Ethanr

Reaction score

Didn't see anything available that would fit you.  How much does Indochino charge for MTM?
Yeah I think they are within my price range, but I didn't know how was better Modern tailor or Indochino. Also have seen anyone's experience with Destination Xl Suits and Ralph by Ralph Lauren suits?

Grog

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, Grog.  Do you have pictures of the shoes?  I would swap the jeans out with chinos or blue denim and swap out the polo with a nice oxford cloth button down.

Thanks!
http://www.zara.com/uk/en/man/shoes...rs-with-mixed-color-sole-c734091p2822583.html
Was what I was planning on getting, chinos I don't own a pair and I lack any nicer denim jeans however I have some smarter looking cream/tan jeans which would suffice. An oxford sounds good what colour is my main concern?, would I pair that with a tie or not?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah I think they are within my price range, but I didn't know how was better Modern tailor or Indochino. Also have seen anyone's experience with Destination Xl Suits and Ralph by Ralph Lauren suits?

Sorry, man. I don't have experience with either of those.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Grog

Reaction score

I wouldn't wear oxfords with denim or chinos.

Oxford shirt not shoes, or is that what you mean? I realise that oxford shoes are too formal to be worn with jeans or chinos.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oxford shirt not shoes, or is that what you mean? I realise that oxford shoes are too formal to be worn with jeans or chinos.

Ok, I misread. I would go with a light blue oxford cloth without the tie.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Welcome to the forum, lb. Unfortunately, you are not going to find any suit makers that sell drop 11....meaning the waist is -11" from the chest. Standard suits come drop 6 or 7 and you can't take a pair of trousers in 4" without completely recutting them. You'll need to find brands that sell suit separates so you can buy the jacket and trouser size you need. I wish I could give you a bunch of options, but there aren't many good ones. eHaberdasher is one of our affiliates and their Benjamin suits are a really good value. I'm pretty sure they will allow you to swap trousers for a smaller size (if available)....it's worth checking out http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/clothing/suits.html#!/p=clear&designer=183&order=name

You're also not going to find many shirts that won't billow at the waist because your drop is too high. Going Made to Measure with a company like Proper Cloth is probably one of your best options. As far are ready to wear goes, Barba slim fit is the closest thing I've found (I'm a drop 10ish), but I still had to have the tailor alter the back darts. Good luck.
That is inaccurate. It leaves out athletic-cut suits, which usually have an 8-inch drop. Which probably isn't good enough (expensive, probably imperfect tailoring needed), but Dior Homme is closer to an 11-inch drop (and expensive). Suit separates might be the best option.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That is inaccurate. It leaves out athletic-cut suits, which usually have an 8-inch drop. Which probably isn't good enough (expensive, probably imperfect tailoring needed), but Dior Homme is closer to an 11-inch drop (and expensive). Suit separates might be the best option.

I normally wouldn't take the time to reply to something like this, but I would just like to point out that you told me I was wrong and then confirmed what I said.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads