• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF SEP 14, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

lightblue

Reaction score
Where can I buy nice slim-fitting shirts and suits? I am 6'2" and about 150 pounds, and tapered (about 28 inches at the waist but 39 around the chest and 53 around the shoulders). My wife tells me I'm pretty spot on male runway model size, which, like female runway models, is too tall and skinny for normal clothes. I'm 27 and I like my shirts, pants, and suits to be closely fitted, so it's hard to find places with those items that are long/tall enough for me but also slim-fitted enough.

Express does a good job now that they finally have an Extra Slim Fit. If I want to be bursting my top buttons like my wife likes when we go out I can wear a Small. If I want to look professional and be comfortable (but still close-fitted) the Medium Tall Extra Slim Fit from Express is perfect. And while their shirts are nice and professional, they do get a bit boring, especially when it's been my go-to store for the past decade.

Any other tall slim guys out there know stores or designers with very slim fit suits and shirts? I'm happy to know about a wide price range, from $12 shirts to $1000 suits.

Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote:

Welcome to the forum, lb. Unfortunately, you are not going to find any suit makers that sell drop 11....meaning the waist is -11" from the chest. Standard suits come drop 6 or 7 and you can't take a pair of trousers in 4" without completely recutting them. You'll need to find brands that sell suit separates so you can buy the jacket and trouser size you need. I wish I could give you a bunch of options, but there aren't many good ones. eHaberdasher is one of our affiliates and their Benjamin suits are a really good value. I'm pretty sure they will allow you to swap trousers for a smaller size (if available)....it's worth checking out http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/clothing/suits.html#!/p=clear&designer=183&order=name

You're also not going to find many shirts that won't billow at the waist because your drop is too high. Going Made to Measure with a company like Proper Cloth is probably one of your best options. As far are ready to wear goes, Barba slim fit is the closest thing I've found (I'm a drop 10ish), but I still had to have the tailor alter the back darts. Good luck.

Last edited:

ksbluesfan

Reaction score
I'm a new SF member who joined based on a suggestion from Reddit's MFA. They have helped me develop my style, but they tend to be geared toward younger men. While I was browsing SF, I noticed there are several members who are closer to my age (I'm 50), so I thought this might be a better forum for me.

I would like to find inspiration from other men who dress nicely, but don't necessarily wear suits very often. I like sports coats because they are dressy enough for dinner, but still casual. I guess I'm looking for an every-day guide that falls between Dockers and a button-down and a suit. I rarely wear jeans and only wear t-shirts at the gym or as undershirts.

The Nino

Reaction score
Any idea where I can find over the calf donegal socks online?

Ethanr

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

I'm looking for a MTM website to buy a suit from and all the reviews and forums seem to be from years ago. I have been looking at Modern Tailor and Indochino, but other sites are welcome. It would be cool to see and hear what people think of these MTM sites and if they are better than off the rack. For a guy like me it's harder to find suits because I'm a bigger guy, but everything just looks huge on me. That's why I was looking at MTM, but there aren't many recent forums that I can find, so any experience with a MTM sites or store, RTW suits, or anything is welcome. I'm trying to go more formal that's another reason it's harder to find a RTW suit. Anyways it would be awesome to hear people's advice and experiences.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

I'm looking for a MTM website to buy a suit from and all the reviews and forums seem to be from years ago. I have been looking at Modern Tailor and Indochino, but other sites are welcome. It would be cool to see and hear what people think of these MTM sites and if they are better than off the rack. For a guy like me it's harder to find suits because I'm a bigger guy, but everything just looks huge on me. That's why I was looking at MTM, but there aren't many recent forums that I can find, so any experience with a MTM sites or store, RTW suits, or anything is welcome. I'm trying to go more formal that's another reason it's harder to find a RTW suit. Anyways it would be awesome to hear people's advice and experiences.

Welcome to the forum, ethan. We have a few Affiliate Vendors on the forum that offer a MTM service. What's your price range?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any idea where I can find over the calf donegal socks online?

I can't find any OTC types. Sierra Trading Post carries them by Brescani and Pantherella every now and then.

Ethanr

Reaction score
Thank you for putting my forum were it needed to be and thanks for the welcoming. My price range is between $350 and $500 dollars.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a new SF member who joined based on a suggestion from Reddit's MFA. They have helped me develop my style, but they tend to be geared toward younger men. While I was browsing SF, I noticed there are several members who are closer to my age (I'm 50), so I thought this might be a better forum for me.

I would like to find inspiration from other men who dress nicely, but don't necessarily wear suits very often. I like sports coats because they are dressy enough for dinner, but still casual. I guess I'm looking for an every-day guide that falls between Dockers and a button-down and a suit. I rarely wear jeans and only wear t-shirts at the gym or as undershirts.

Welcome to the forum, @ksbluesfan . Have you checked out SF 101 yet? http://www.styleforum.net/a/how-should-i-start-my-business-wardrobe

Ethanr

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, ethan. We have a few Affiliate Vendors on the forum that offer a MTM service. What's your price range?
Thank you for putting my forum were it needed to be and thanks for the welcoming @Murlsquirl . My price range is between $350 and $500 dollars.

Last edited:

sled1855

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way of figuring out your shoe size? I have slowly started to realize almost all of my shoes are slightly too big. Is there some sort of guide that describes how certain shoes should fit?

Ethanr

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way of figuring out your shoe size? I have slowly started to realize almost all of my shoes are slightly too big. Is there some sort of guide that describes how certain shoes should fit?

@sled1855 There are some sizing charts to feet size in inches or cm on the internet. You get writing utensil and place your foot on a piece of paper standing up, trace your foot, and the measure it from the heel to the longest point and then you measure your foot at its widest point and compare to the charts online.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, sled. You will probably get a lot of different opinions on this. How do the shoes feel on you? If you can, take a picture with them laced up and post here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for putting my forum were it needed to be and thanks for the welcoming @Murlsquirl . My price range is between $350 and $500 dollars.

That price range for MTM is really tough. I have yet to see a good result from Modern Tailor or Indochino. Kent Wang has a pretty good reputation here, but he would run you about $800 for entry level fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 76 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 77 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.7%

Forum statistics

Threads