• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 5, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

Wekmd

Reaction score
Got a quick question. I recently purchase an extra slim fit white shirt (Brooks Brother). The lady took my measurements and picked the size for me. The shirt fits perfectly and looks nice but I just realized that the cuffs don't pop out of my suit sleeve. Is this normal for extra slim fit shirts or do I need to move up a size or two for my shirts?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Got a quick question. I recently purchase an extra slim fit white shirt (Brooks Brother). The lady took my measurements and picked the size for me. The shirt fits perfectly and looks nice but I just realized that the cuffs don't pop out of my suit sleeve. Is this normal for extra slim fit shirts or do I need to move up a size or two for my shirts?

Welcome to the forum. No, that's not normal. Your shirt sleeves are too short or your jacket sleeves to long...the "extra slim fit" doesn't have anything to do with it. Are those shirts sized by neck/sleeve i.e., 16/34? If so, try to see if they offer a longer sleeve option in your size...if the shirt is the issue and not the jacket.

Last edited:

remo22

Reaction score
i want to change my green heels into white.they r made out of plastic so i don't know what to do and i want to wear them at a function

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i want to change my green heels into white.they r made out of plastic so i don't know what to do and i want to wear them at a function

Welcome to the forum, remo. Your shoes have a plastic heal? I'd like to help, but this doesn't sound right.

Newberry

Reaction score
Hello SF. Last week I bought a pair of black Strands with the leather sole. Problem is they feel real uncomfortable when I just walk around my room with them on. I would like to know if the Dainite sole is more comfortable. If so, so I can exchange them. Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello SF. Last week I bought a pair of black Strands with the leather sole. Problem is they feel real uncomfortable when I just walk around my room with them on. I would like to know if the Dainite sole is more comfortable. If so, so I can exchange them. Thanks!

If you are experiencing discomfort, it's a fit issue and not the sole type. Dainite is more comfortable than a leather sole, but if the shoe doesn't fit, that won't really matter...it won't feel right either way. You either sized them wrong or the last just doesn't work for your foot. They could just need a good breaking in...it takes time with good shoes but they shouldn't hurt even when new.

Valltax

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm going to homecoming soon and I bought a charcoal grey suit. I'm going to wear all black. Black slim tie, black shirt, and belt. I was gonna wear a pocket square that matches my girlfriend champagne dress. Will this look good I just starting to get into suits and don't know all the rules. Also should I yet all black Oxford or does brown on the sole matter?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello everyone, I'm going to homecoming soon and I bought a charcoal grey suit. I'm going to wear all black. Black slim tie, black shirt, and belt. I was gonna wear a pocket square that matches my girlfriend champagne dress. Will this look good I just starting to get into suits and don't know all the rules. Also should I yet all black Oxford or does brown on the sole matter?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the homecoming. Any chance you'd be willing to wear a white shirt? Also, an all black Oxford is your best bet. Most importantly, it's your homecoming man, wear what you want and have fun. The fact that you came here to ask for advice tells me you'll be alright. Don't do anything I wouldn't do....it's a short list.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You might consider a white shirt and white pocket square instead--otherwise the grey suit and black tie sound great. You probably already have a white shirt, so try it out to see if you like it or not. You don't have to match your date's dress color exactly, even though I know its popular to do so. Your outfit will match without needing a champagne-colored piece.

As for the shoes, I think it'd be fine if the bottoms of the soles are brown. Have a great time!

Edit: Murls beat me to it. I think we're basically on the same page.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might consider a white shirt and white pocket square instead--otherwise the grey suit and black tie sound great. You probably already have a white shirt, so try it out to see if you like it or not. You don't have to match your date's dress color exactly, even though I know its popular to do so. Your outfit will match without needing a champagne-colored piece.

As for the shoes, I think it'd be fine if the bottoms of the soles are brown. Have a great time!

Edit: Murls beat me to it. I think we're basically on the same page.

fistbump.gif

Valltax

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the homecoming. Any chance you'd be willing to wear a white shirt? Also, an all black Oxford is your best bet. Most importantly, it's your homecoming man, wear what you want and have fun. The fact that you came here to ask for advice tells me you'll be alright. Don't do anything I wouldn't do....it's a short list.
Thanks man, I feel very welcome here. I was just wondering if a black vest, white shirt and the black tie. Would be better. Add a little extra something.under my jacket

Last edited:

jwin13

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of brands that are relatively inexpensive under 500$ that has shorter jacket lengths. I am looking for a short suit jacket length approximately at the length of where my thumb knuckle is. I am 5'3 and chest size is 35.5. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks man, I feel very welcome here. I was just wondering if a black vest, white shirt and the black tie. Would be better. Add a little extra something.under my jacket

I'd leave out the vest.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of brands that are relatively inexpensive under 500$ that has shorter jacket lengths. I am looking for a short suit jacket length approximately at the length of where my thumb knuckle is. I am 5'3 and chest size is 35.5. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, jwin. Suit Supply is your best bet at that price range. Sounds like you would need a 36S, here is what they have in that size http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits?prefn1=size&prefv1=36S

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads