• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 19, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

PepeSilvia96

Reaction score
My question is about this shipping proxy service.... http://www.styleforum.net/t/304673/free-uniqlo-proxy

I joined because I am in need of an item that is only shipped to the uk but I'm being paranoid about it. The reviews on the thread are positive but theres a part of me that thinks maybe these are all scamers. If anyones got experience with the service thatd be great but I'd like to know is what the moderator rules are to scammers like that. I figure if that was a scam the post would have bbeen removed by now, am I right in thinking that?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My question is about this shipping proxy service....   http://www.styleforum.net/t/304673/free-uniqlo-proxy

I joined because I am in need of an item that is only shipped to the uk but I'm being paranoid about it. The reviews on the thread are positive but theres a part of me that thinks maybe these are all scamers. If anyones got experience with the service thatd be great but I'd like to know is what the moderator rules are to scammers like that. I figure if that was a scam the post would have bbeen removed by now, am I right in thinking that?

Welcome to the forum, Pepe. You're right, if we were notified that it was a scam, we would have shut it down. I don't know anything about the offer and it looks like it is now closed, but I'm pretty sure it's safe. I would PM the guy directly and then maybe PM a couple of senior members who vouched for him and ask of their experience. I'd also read over the Marketplace rules while you're at it...just to get familiar with them. Best of luck.

RobKM

Reaction score
I will be visiting Madrid shortly and will be staying very near the Carmina shop on Gran Via. I've never seen their shoes and have only read about them here and elsewhere, but was interested in checking them out. Would that particular location be a good one to go to? Are there any particular salespeople that I should ask to see when I visit? Is there any benefit to emailing them ahead of time or just show up there and browse?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I will be visiting Madrid shortly and will be staying very near the Carmina shop on Gran Via. I've never seen their shoes and have only read about them here and elsewhere, but was interested in checking them out. Would that particular location be a good one to go to? Are there any particular salespeople that I should ask to see when I visit? Is there any benefit to emailing them ahead of time or just show up there and browse?

Welcome to the forum, Rob. I would ask here http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoes-official-thread-reviews-advice-sizing-etc. Quite a few people in that thread have visited their shops. I would just show up and browse.

RobKM

Reaction score
Quick follow-up question: when I go that thread, do I just post a reply? I was confused since I'm not really replying to another question, and wasn't sure how to post a new question in an existing thread.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quick follow-up question: when I go that thread, do I just post a reply? I was confused since I'm not really replying to another question, and wasn't sure how to post a new question in an existing thread.

Yep.

Zero Talent

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the market for a dinner jacket and I like the Tom Ford aesthetic. I was wondering though if off the rack Tom Ford would fit me though seeing as my chest is 44inches and my waist is 28inches. I like the very tapered look so I was wondering if with the o'connor fit jackets and my measurements if this could be achieved. Or do I need to have a custom one.

Thanks

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I am in the market for a dinner jacket and I like the Tom Ford aesthetic. I was wondering though if off the rack Tom Ford would fit me though seeing as my chest is 44inches and my waist is 28inches. I like the very tapered look so I was wondering if with the o'connor fit jackets and my measurements if this could be achieved. Or do I need to have a custom one.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, ZT. No way any OTR suit will fit you with a drop 16....unless you have a tailor capable of cutting and completely remaking the trousers.

greydave

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might give me some thoughts on what to wear with the following.

I have a blue navy blazer that I was going to pair with either a light blue dress shirt or light grey sweater.

Pant options would either be charcoal or tan khakis.

I admittedly don't know much about fashion trends or do's and don'ts. So I need some help.

Charcoal pants are probably too dark?

I also need help with shoes.

If I wear the Tan pants, can I wear black dress shoes or should I only go with brown?

Along the same lines, can I wear black dress shoes with dark (indigo) jeans?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jonkatz

Reaction score
I just bought a Black tie with white pin dots and was wondering if i could wear it with my black vest and a colored shirt? light blue, navy and red shirts.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might give me some thoughts on what to wear with the following.

I have a blue navy blazer that I was going to pair with either a light blue dress shirt or light grey sweater.

Pant options would either be charcoal or tan khakis.

I admittedly don't know much about fashion trends or do's and don'ts. So I need some help.

Charcoal pants are probably too dark?

I also need help with shoes.

If I wear the Tan pants, can I wear black dress shoes or should I only go with brown?

Along the same lines, can I wear black dress shoes with dark (indigo) jeans?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, dave. Light blue shirt is the easy shirt choice. If the blazer is not too formal and the cotton trousers not too casual, it could work. A lighter shade of grey would be better, but charcoal will work also. I don't ever wear dress shoes with jeans so I won't offer any advice on that one...just make sure they aren't formal...like a calf leather oxford.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just bought a Black tie with white pin dots and was wondering if i could wear it with my black vest and a colored shirt? light blue, navy and red shirts.

Welcome to the forum, Jon. I'm having a hard time picturing this...do you have a picture?

decumulate

Reaction score
I'm considering a pair of dark navy shell boots (casual style) but also considering the same boot in a standard reddish brown color. I like the uniqueness of the navy shell. However, how does the navy shell look with age? Does it break in awesomely like standard browns or does it just look old?

Any pics would be awesome, but general thoughts are appreciated too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads