NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 12, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

2. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Hello,

I'm getting married next Spring, and I'm looking for a particular style of suit that I am not entirely sure where to find. I want thick, super textured, herringbone-ish, wooly, European-feeling suits. In the second picture below, there are also lapeled vests, and that would be a very nice plus.

Does anyone know what website stores or brick and mortar stores (I live around Grand Rapids, MI) I could potentially find suits similar to these?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to find an affordable ($300-$400) light gray blazer for Fall (5-15 °C) to be worn with jeans. I've spent the last few days looking at different retailers and brands, but can't make up my mind yet. Would someone please share a recommendation?

Also, would something like this look too much like an orphaned suit jacket / match well with jeans? :

www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?prd_id=845524446727530

I'm wearing 38R, so it looks like a great buy.

Thanks !

4. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, Bob. Have you looked on Yoox? They have a ton of casual blazers......Boglioli or LBM 1911 would be good brands to check out.

5. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

WOW. Awesome recommendation, thanks ! I've never heard of that website before.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

6. Murlsquirl

Glad I could help.

7. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

I take it you are looking for tweed?

8. Murlsquirl

Yeah, sounds like that or a heavy herringbone. I'll post some options later tonight, @kylevegh

9. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Have you tried AK Rikks yet? Have not been there myself yet but they carry some great brands (Eidos, Ring Jacket,etc.). Definitely try on some suits first in person to understand your own preferences and fit idiosyncrasies before you even think of buying online.
    Congratulations by the way!

10. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

Actually, I'm preferably looking for something textured like this :

http://www3.lubiam.it/public/lbm-1911/2015-fw/lookbook/280_2888__55070.4.jpg
    http://www5.lubiam.it/public/lbm-1911/2015-ss/lookbook/275_2875__55758.5.jpg

That isn't cotton, that would be light gray, with fairly thin, notch lapels. I'm not a fan of 3 buttons jackets neither. The closest I could find is :

http://images.yoox.com/items/49/49158433nq_14_f.jpg
    http://images.yoox.com/items/49/49158433nq_14_r.jpg

In wool, polyester and polyamide. At least, I assume that the fabric is textured and that this isn't just a printed pattern. I don't find this textured pattern that attractive though, and it's $465 on Yoox (no rebate), so I'm a bit reluctant to purchase (upper limit of budget).

I also have another concern !... My chest size is precisely 37" and I wear 30" pants. I've read somewhere that someone with a 38.5" chest would fit fine in a 38R LBM 1911 jacket, so clearly that seems too big for me, but on the other hand, 36" is clearly too small and I can't find these jackets neither in size 36" nor 37"... I'm not sure if I should order size 38R and have it altered or look for something else?

Thanks much for the recommendations !

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

11. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Thanks for moving my post to the proper location! New forums can be a challenge to navigate.

Thanks so much.

Very excited to check AK Rikks out. I have not heard of it, and it's not very far at all! Thank you for the specific and local tip.

12. Murlsquirl

No problem. Hopefully you have some luck at AK Rikks. What price range are you working with?

13. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

14. vegeta12345

vegeta12345 New Member

hi, i would like to buy some dress boots/ chelsea boots to wear with a suit and also casually. can i get some thoughts on this? is it too pointy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

15. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Unfortunately, I'm fairly poor right now, so the cheaper, the better. I'm kind of at the point of shopping around to see what types of things I can afford. I'd love to find something for >$300, but I'm realizing that is a bit unrealistic. But any help finding the sort of suits I'm looking for is still appreciated even if it's way over that price range just so I can have a better handle on the type of things I like (fits, styles, patterns, colors, materials, ~brands, etc.).