1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 12, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

2. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Hello,

I'm getting married next Spring, and I'm looking for a particular style of suit that I am not entirely sure where to find. I want thick, super textured, herringbone-ish, wooly, European-feeling suits. In the second picture below, there are also lapeled vests, and that would be a very nice plus.

Does anyone know what website stores or brick and mortar stores (I live around Grand Rapids, MI) I could potentially find suits similar to these?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to find an affordable ($300-$400) light gray blazer for Fall (5-15 °C) to be worn with jeans. I've spent the last few days looking at different retailers and brands, but can't make up my mind yet. Would someone please share a recommendation?

Also, would something like this look too much like an orphaned suit jacket / match well with jeans? :

www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?prd_id=845524446727530

I'm wearing 38R, so it looks like a great buy.

Thanks !

4. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, Bob. Have you looked on Yoox? They have a ton of casual blazers......Boglioli or LBM 1911 would be good brands to check out.

5. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

WOW. Awesome recommendation, thanks ! I've never heard of that website before.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. Murlsquirl

Glad I could help.

7. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

I take it you are looking for tweed?

8. Murlsquirl

Yeah, sounds like that or a heavy herringbone. I'll post some options later tonight, @kylevegh

9. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Have you tried AK Rikks yet? Have not been there myself yet but they carry some great brands (Eidos, Ring Jacket,etc.). Definitely try on some suits first in person to understand your own preferences and fit idiosyncrasies before you even think of buying online.
    Congratulations by the way!

10. BobLeponge

BobLeponge New Member

Actually, I'm preferably looking for something textured like this :

http://www3.lubiam.it/public/lbm-1911/2015-fw/lookbook/280_2888__55070.4.jpg
    http://www5.lubiam.it/public/lbm-1911/2015-ss/lookbook/275_2875__55758.5.jpg

That isn't cotton, that would be light gray, with fairly thin, notch lapels. I'm not a fan of 3 buttons jackets neither. The closest I could find is :

http://images.yoox.com/items/49/49158433nq_14_f.jpg
    http://images.yoox.com/items/49/49158433nq_14_r.jpg

In wool, polyester and polyamide. At least, I assume that the fabric is textured and that this isn't just a printed pattern. I don't find this textured pattern that attractive though, and it's $465 on Yoox (no rebate), so I'm a bit reluctant to purchase (upper limit of budget).

I also have another concern !... My chest size is precisely 37" and I wear 30" pants. I've read somewhere that someone with a 38.5" chest would fit fine in a 38R LBM 1911 jacket, so clearly that seems too big for me, but on the other hand, 36" is clearly too small and I can't find these jackets neither in size 36" nor 37"... I'm not sure if I should order size 38R and have it altered or look for something else?

Thanks much for the recommendations !

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  11. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Thanks for moving my post to the proper location! New forums can be a challenge to navigate.

Thanks so much.

Very excited to check AK Rikks out. I have not heard of it, and it's not very far at all! Thank you for the specific and local tip.

12. Murlsquirl

No problem. Hopefully you have some luck at AK Rikks. What price range are you working with?

13. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

14. vegeta12345

vegeta12345 New Member

hi, i would like to buy some dress boots/ chelsea boots to wear with a suit and also casually. can i get some thoughts on this? is it too pointy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  15. kylevegh

kylevegh New Member

Unfortunately, I'm fairly poor right now, so the cheaper, the better. I'm kind of at the point of shopping around to see what types of things I can afford. I'd love to find something for >$300, but I'm realizing that is a bit unrealistic. But any help finding the sort of suits I'm looking for is still appreciated even if it's way over that price range just so I can have a better handle on the type of things I like (fits, styles, patterns, colors, materials, ~brands, etc.).

16. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, vegeta. Those are too pointy for my taste.

17. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Unfortunately you are not likely to find what you are looking for at <$300 (I think you meant less than?), especially if you're interested in a 3-piece suit, but I agree with your plan to check out suits in person.

Since your budget is limited, if you're going to splurge on a wedding suit, perhaps it'd make more sense to go with a more versatile fabric? Not that the tweed fabrics that you posted aren't awesome.

Once you've tried out some suits in person, at your budget you might consider SuitSupply. Good value, and they offer free shipping and free returns, so there is little risk to you. Just be sure to disregard their website Size Advisor--it will recommend something 1-2 sizes too small.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  18. Murlsquirl

It's not something I would buy. I'd rather save my money and buy once piece that is well made and will last than something that is cheap...price and quality. It really depends on if you need something now and what you can afford.

19. Markboots

Markboots Senior member

Hi,

Looking to draw upon expert knowledge to help me with a Sport Coat purchase. I am looking for two new sport coats, one for work and one for outside work to be paired with Khaki or jeans.

Considerations - I like soft natural shoulders (no padding).
    Size - any where between 40 to 42. I normally wear a 42 but not every brands 42 is the same
    Material - Probably cotton for jeans and wool for work (soft to the touch).
    Design - as basic as possible, solid color
    Fit - 21.5 or 22 chest, approx 18.5-19 shoulder, sleeve length around 24-25.
    Condition - Prefer new (don't we all) but like new works
    Age - Recent
    Button - 2 for both but would consider one for the one paired with jeans.
    Fitted - Slim Fit. Best off the rack shirt for fit for me is Isaia 15.5 neck or Michael Bastian 15.75 neck. I work out a lot and have a slim waist so want the jacket to be fitted.

I was on yoox and was lost in regards to the different brands. Outside of about 15 brands I don't know quality and even if I saw it in person I am not an expert (only started getting into quality clothing in the last year). Not much information on sizing for yoox as well.

I appreciate the Styleforum and eBay listing because you actually get size information.

Any brand recommendations for the thrifty buying like myself? Name brands are good for me in general because I feel I receive a level of quality but realize I pay for the name brand which is why I turning to the keen eyes of this message board to help me find the value outside the limited names I know.

Feel free to point me to current open listing on the buy & sell board.

Price point... Have not finalized one yet but want each one to be under $500, the lower the better.

Appreciate any help!!

Regards,
    Mark

20. Markboots

Markboots Senior member

Just looking at Yoox now and wanted to provided an example for the one paired with jeans and to show I am looking : ). Great price point with the sale. Yes, I am one of those people that you can makr it up and then mark it way down and I think I am getting a deal. If the links don't work. The brands is Christian Pellizzari (picture looks very slim cut)

http://www.yoox.com/us/41347242WK/i...s=sr_samplesaleman80&cod10=41347242WD&sizeId=

The Eidos Napoli on Styleforum, I really like it except the armpit to armpit is 22.75 so that would be too big.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/506311/...ianchi-mantova-pal-zileri-cashmere-silk-linen

I also like the Tagliatore but the cut is more relaxed than the Eidos

regards,
    Mark