• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 9, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

GAU11

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the issue with these sleeves that is causing the bunching and rippling so I can better look for other shirts?

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the issue with these sleeves that is causing the bunching and rippling so I can better look for other shirts?

For one, the bicep measurement is way to large.

GAU11

Reaction score
Yes, makes sense. I am having lots of problems particularly with sleeves. Buying at what I am measured, many seem too long which causes folding and billowing but sizing down may be too short and doesn't reduce the problem. I have tried several different 18 34/35 slim fit shirts that all fit differently, none perfectly in the arms, but I can't go much lower in the collar. Are the more sturdy among us doomed with poor-fitting shirts?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, makes sense. I am having lots of problems particularly with sleeves. Buying at what I am measured, many seem too long which causes folding and billowing but sizing down may be too short and doesn't reduce the problem.  I have tried several different 18 34/35 slim fit shirts that all fit differently, none perfectly in the arms, but I can't go much lower in the collar.  Are the more sturdy among us doomed with poor-fitting shirts?

It also looks like the shoulders and chest are big. You might want to consider Made to Measure (check out Luxire or Proper Cloth), but it's really hard to tell what's going on just based on those pictures. You can always take better shots and post here http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

KlasA91

Reaction score
I recently bought a duffle coat from Brooks Brothers very cheaply at an outlet - the navy blue one.
However I'm very unsure about whether it fits me, as I have never had this kind of coat before. I'm 6.2 and the size is medium, I would love some feedback - am I completely lost with this coat, or does it actually fit?

pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4 pic5

Thanks, and sorry for the weird mirror :)

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recently bought a duffle coat from Brooks Brothers very cheaply at an outlet - the navy blue one.
However I'm very unsure about whether it fits me, as I have never had this kind of coat before. I'm 6.2 and the size is medium, I would love some feedback - am I completely lost with this coat, or does it actually fit?

pic1 [COLOR=222222]
pic2 [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]pic3 [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]pic4 [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]pic5[/COLOR]

Thanks, and sorry for the weird mirror :)

Welcome to the forum, Klas. You're killing me with the motto, but from what I can see, the fit looks good.

KlasA91

Reaction score
Thank you! Seems like a nice forum, looking forward to looking around ;).

Sharp2k

Reaction score
Hello Helloo,
Do you guys know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless I absolutely have to. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. A friend advised Harry Rosen but a couple of others said it's overpriced and I could likely find bespoked clothing for the same price. How has your experience been ?

Thanks,
Sharp.

kFLO01

Reaction score

I know that you cant see the pants in this picture but how do you think my tailor did with the suit jacket. Jacket is a 46R I am 5'9 239 in the pic but about 220ish wen I got the suit done.
Want to know if I should keep going to him or not.
He took in the sides of the jacket and shortened the sleeves some.
Also how does the suit look overall to you?
Me on the right.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know that you cant see the pants in this picture but how do you think my tailor did with the suit jacket. Jacket is a 46R I am 5'9 239 in the pic but about 220ish wen I got the suit done. Want to know if I should keep going to him or not. He took in the sides of the jacket and shortened the sleeves some. Also how does the suit look overall to you? Me on the right.
Welcome to the forum, kFL. Impossible to give feedback on that pic....but congrats on whatever you're being presented. You can always get fit feedback here http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions with some better pictures.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello Helloo,
      Do you guys know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless I absolutely have to. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. A friend advised Harry Rosen but a couple of others said it's overpriced and I could likely find bespoked clothing for the same price. How has your experience been ?

Thanks,
Sharp.

Welcome to the forum, sharp. We have a Toronto thread here http://www.styleforum.net/t/446157/the-ultimate-toronto-thread and the guys in there will definitely give you some options. Best of luck.

Kevin24

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long Time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I have suits in my collection so far and added a BB navy blazer a couple of months ago. Now I am looking at adding a sportcoat to my rotation.

I am looking at something in the $450-800 range. I was wondering if anyone can make any suggestions?

So far I've been looking at Nordstrom brands like Peter Millar, Ted Baker, HSF, and David Donahue. If anyone can provide insight on these labels? All but Hart Marx are Made in Canada but idk much about them.

Also I was wondering if anyone can comment on the quality of SuitSupply's sportcoats? I know they make pretty good suits but don't much other then that.

Likewise I was wondering if anyone can comment on the blazers/sportcoats sold at the Barney's New York factory outlet's? I went in there the other day and their house brand also "said Made in Canada." While others were Made in Italy under the label's Piattelli and Maurizio Baldassari.

At the higher end of my price range I am also looking at Samuelsohn at Saks Fifth(which is fully-canvassed from what I know) and the Pressidental Line at J. Press. I was also considering Jack Victor at Men's Wearhouse which should be half-canvessed as well.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long Time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I have suits in my collection so far and added a BB navy blazer a couple of months ago. Now I am looking at adding a sportcoat to my rotation.

I am looking at something in the $450-800 range. I was wondering if anyone can make any suggestions?

So far I've been looking at Nordstrom brands like Peter Millar, Ted Baker, HSF, and David Donahue. If anyone can provide insight on these labels? All but Hart Marx are Made in Canada but idk much about them.

Also I was wondering if anyone can comment on the quality of SuitSupply's sportcoats? I know they make pretty good suits but don't much other then that.

Likewise I was wondering if anyone can comment on the blazers/sportcoats sold at the Barney's New York factory outlet's? I went in there the other day and their house brand also "said Made in Canada." While others were Made in Italy under the label's Piattelli and Maurizio Baldassari.

At the higher end of my price range I am also looking at Samuelsohn at Saks Fifth(which is fully-canvassed from what I know) and the Pressidental Line at J. Press. I was also considering Jack Victor at Men's Wearhouse which should be half-canvessed as well.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Hey Kevin, out of the brands you listed, I would definitely go with Suit Supply. The quality of the SCs is just the same as the suits. Here is the Suit Supply thread and a picture of a jacket I have from them post #9772

Sharp2k

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking around for a leather Briefcase/Messenger Bag... I've looked at a few Fossil Ones and they're nice, what else would you recommend taking a look at ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads