• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 2, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

astralweeks27

Reaction score
Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/elJeK

How is the fit of this suit (Black Lapel)? It's for business use.
Main concern is the jacket length. I'm wondering if I should order a remake, or if as a shorter man I may be able to live with the length. Perhaps my tailor can let out the back to mitigate the feminine curve in the lower half? I fear my posture/lordosis may be making the jacket appear even shorter.
Next would be the waist/button area. When buttoned, I am turned off by how much the jacket spreads open in the bottom half, such that you can see the end of my tie/shirt. Is this a button stance issue, or the suppression? The lower button also looks pulled a bit too much off-center.

If I am to keep this suit and just alter, I will definitely get the collar roll fixed and slightly shorten the pant length. Other areas could use work I'm sure. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/elJeK [/COLOR]
How is the fit of this suit (Black Lapel)? It's for business use.
Main concern is the jacket length. I'm wondering if I should order a remake, or if as a shorter man I may be able to live with the length. Perhaps my tailor can let out the back to mitigate the feminine curve in the lower half? I fear my posture/lordosis may be making the jacket appear even shorter.
Next would be the waist/button area. When buttoned, I am turned off by how much the jacket spreads open in the bottom half, such that you can see the end of my tie/shirt. Is this a button stance issue, or the suppression? The lower button also looks pulled a bit too much off-center.

If I am to keep this suit and just alter, I will definitely get the collar roll fixed and slightly shorten the pant length. Other areas could use work I'm sure. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Welcome to the forum, Astra. Here is the place to ask http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions. I would upload the photos directly to your post rather than imgur link...you'll get more feedback that way.

Spartcom5

Reaction score
Hey guys didnt know where to post but I'm new here! Im 19 and got my first pair of boots, nothing special just some Johnston and Murphy Brogue boots. So far they're great, really different in my wardrobe. Now i love boots haha and I was wondering what are some good boot brands? Im looking for more casual nothing like dress shoes, is To Boot New York any good? http://www.toboot.com/shoes/Brennan/Black had my eye on these, look very sleek. Any help is greatly appreciated! Btw not looking for $1,000+ shoes

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys didnt know where to post but I'm new here! Im 19 and got my first pair of boots, nothing special just some Johnston and Murphy Brogue boots. So far they're great, really different in my wardrobe. Now i love boots haha and I was wondering what are some good boot brands? Im looking for more casual nothing like dress shoes, is To Boot New York any good? http://www.toboot.com/shoes/Brennan/Black had my eye on these, look very sleek. Any help is greatly appreciated! Btw not looking for $1,000+ shoes

Welcome to the forum, Spartcom. TBNY for $450....no way. At that price, check out Carmina, Alfred Sergeant, Trickers, Loake, Alden, etc.

Dave Horwedel

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a new suit. I find I like solid colors and tend to like a fine wool- before I knew what super 150s were I picked out a suit of that fineness. I have also seen some polyesters and wool blends that look to me like pure wool I am considering getting a tailor made wool blend suit on line. I have had wool blends before and did not find them uncomfortable and they seemed to hold their form well. I did not have a problem with them being shiney so long as I did not foolishly iron them. My question is can people actually tell by eyesight, or even by feel, a wool blend suit from a pure wool suit. Is there a fineness criteria that can be found or ordered on a blend, i.e. can one get Super 120s wool blend. Would this hold up better than? It SEEMS to me that a wool blend breathes OK, does not wrinkle badly, holds its form well, and looks good. Am I wrong? What am I missing here about polyester or wool blend vs. wool?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am planning on getting a new suit. I find I like solid colors and tend to like a fine wool- before I knew what super 150s were I picked out a suit of that fineness. I have also seen some polyesters and wool blends that look to me like pure wool I am considering getting a tailor made wool blend suit on line. I have had wool blends before and did not find them uncomfortable and they seemed to hold their form well. I did not have a problem with them being shiney so long as I did not foolishly iron them. My question is can people actually tell by eyesight, or even by feel, a wool blend suit from a pure wool suit. Is there a fineness criteria that can be found or ordered on a blend, i.e. can one get Super 120s wool blend. Would this hold up better than? It SEEMS to me that a wool blend breathes OK, does not wrinkle badly, holds its form well, and looks good. Am I wrong? What am I missing here about polyester or wool blend vs. wool?

Welcome to the forum, Dave. If the poly is a small amount (<10%), it shouldn't be all that noticeable. Personally, I would always go for 100% wool if possible. It holds up better, looks better, and wears better. I wouldn't buy anything in S150 that you plan on wearing on a regular basis. The S rating is not a measure of quality, but a measure of the fineness of the wool fibers.

stylefrog

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm 31, I'm sick of poor fitting suits and I need help from the experts (of which I clearly am not). I'm graduating medical school in 6 months and I need a nice slim suit that complements my body type for medical residency interviews. I'm a short, skinny guy with an athletic build, (5' 7.5" height, 165 pounds, 38-39" chest, 15.0 neck, 32 sleeve, 32 waist, 29 inseam). When I buy coats I usually buy a 40 short.

Any recommendations of slim/modern suits between $500-$1000? I value quality, not quantity so I am looking for just one good suit (I'd rather have one nice suit than 5 mediocre suits). I went to Macy's or Nordstrom last month and I didn't find any slim/modern suits that I liked. I like the J. Crew Ludlow look, but I've read negative to mixed reviews on this forum and the consensus seems that for $600 I can get a better value elsewhere. I was going to order IndoChino for a M2M suit but thankfully I read horror stories on this forum before purchasing. For some reason Brooks Brothers stands out as quality in my head (my Navy uniform is a Brooks Brothers), and their Milano line seems to cater to the slim/modern look ... I'm open to any and all suggestions, I just want the most for my buck.

I just discovered Bluefly and Gilt this morning, seems like these are outlets for getting good value for high-quality expensive suits. Please explain any acronyms in your post (I barely figured out what OTR and MTM mean).

Thanks for sharing your expertise folks. And if any of you think I should just suck it up and go to a local tailor for M2M, I'm willing to consider that, but anything over $1000 may be difficult at this point in my life. I realize Bespoke is way out of my league in terms of price.

Last edited:

andis25

Reaction score
Hi I'm a new member here. I'm an entrepreneur who seldom pays attention to my clothing. Since I got invited to my friend's wedding I decided to buy a suit from Zara. After few tries I don't feel the suit fits me very well. Just wondering what you guys think or any advice about this suit for my future references the next time buying a new one. Thanks.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi I'm a new member here. I'm an entrepreneur who seldom pays attention to my clothing. Since I got invited to my friend's wedding I decided to buy a suit from Zara. After few tries I don't feel the suit fits me very well. Just wondering what you guys think or any advice about this suit for my future references the next time buying a new one. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, andis. You're right, it doesn't look like a good fit. Next time your curious about fit and want some feedback, check out this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/511296/...k-questions-classic-menswear-wk-of-nov-2-2015. If you post good front, back, and side shots you can get some specific feedback. Best of luck.

akboesing

Reaction score
So, I'm from Brazil and I'll be travelling to the US in a couple of weeks.

One of the things I intend to do during this trip is to buy a few GOOD and COMFORTABLE dress shoes.

So, here are the specs of what I'm looking for:

- Oxford or monk
- Not too "flashy"
- Comfortable, really comfortable
- Reasonable price (Sorry, I can't afford $300+ shoes)
- Comfortable (yes, again).

Any suggestions?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I'm from Brazil and I'll be travelling to the US in a couple of weeks.

One of the things I intend to do during this trip is to buy a few GOOD and COMFORTABLE dress shoes.

So, here are the specs of what I'm looking for:

- Oxford or monk
- Not too "flashy"
- Comfortable, really comfortable
- Reasonable price (Sorry, I can't afford $300+ shoes)
- Comfortable (yes, again).

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, @akboesing . Where in the US are you traveling to? If you are not looking to spend $300, what can you afford?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm 31, I'm sick of poor fitting suits and I need help from the experts (of which I clearly am not). I'm graduating medical school in 6 months and I need a nice slim suit that complements my body type for medical residency interviews. I'm a short, skinny guy with an athletic build, (5' 7.5" height, 165 pounds, 38-39" chest, 15.0 neck, 32 sleeve, 32 waist, 29 inseam). When I buy coats I usually buy a 40 short.

Any recommendations of slim/modern suits between $500-$1000? I value quality, not quantity so I am looking for just one good suit (I'd rather have one nice suit than 5 mediocre suits). I went to Macy's or Nordstrom last month and I didn't find any slim/modern suits that I liked. I like the J. Crew Ludlow look, but I've read negative to mixed reviews on this forum and the consensus seems that for $600 I can get a better value elsewhere. I was going to order IndoChino for a M2M suit but thankfully I read horror stories on this forum before purchasing. For some reason Brooks Brothers stands out as quality in my head (my Navy uniform is a Brooks Brothers), and their Milano line seems to cater to the slim/modern look ... I'm open to any and all suggestions, I just want the most for my buck.

I just discovered Bluefly and Gilt this morning, seems like these are outlets for getting good value for high-quality expensive suits. Please explain any acronyms in your post (I barely figured out what OTR and MTM mean).

Thanks for sharing your expertise folks. And if any of you think I should just suck it up and go to a local tailor for M2M, I'm willing to consider that, but anything over $1000 may be difficult at this point in my life. I realize Bespoke is way out of my league in terms of price.

Welcome to the forum, @stylefrog . This is where you want to start http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits. You can find a ton of info of Suit Supply and get answers to most of your questions here http://www.styleforum.net/t/250682/suitsupply-nyc

akboesing

Reaction score
Thank you @Murlsquirl!

I'll be going to Washington DC (I'll be there during Black Friday, if it helps), then Toronto (yes, I know it's in Canada... haha), Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle and finally Miami (I'll be there about a week before Christmas).

I'd like to buy at least three pairs of shoes. A couple of "simpler" pairs, for the day-to-day use and a fancier one for special occasions. But I was hoping that all of them would meet my initial criteria: to look good and be really, really comfortable.

My goals is not to spend more than $450 altogether... Is this too far fetched?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you @Murlsquirl!

I'll be going to Washington DC (I'll be there during Black Friday, if it helps), then Toronto (yes, I know it's in Canada... haha), Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle and finally Miami (I'll be there about a week before Christmas).

I'd like to buy at least three pairs of shoes. A couple of "simpler" pairs, for the day-to-day use and a fancier one for special occasions. But I was hoping that all of them would meet my initial criteria: to look good and be really, really comfortable.

My goals is not to spend more than $450 altogether... Is this too far fetched?

Sounds like a fun trip. At $150 a pair, you might be able to find something at Nordstroms during Black Friday. Maybe try to find a DSW (store). Sorry....that's all I got.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads