• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a new weekly thread where new and old users alike can ask a quick question and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

lavanlint

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of second hand thom browne brogues, and the previous owner for some reason cut off the heel tabs on them. I am quite a sucker for heel tabs as I currently own a few pairs of mark mcnairy boots which have them, so I was wondering if anyone here could assist me with a way to add new heel tabs? I already have the thom browne ribbon I just need to figure out away to remove the old cut ones and replace them, I was thinking of carefully cutting them out and pulling back the shoe liner, inserting the new ones and then maybe using some kind of glue to secure them. Has anyone here had experience in this matter? Help will be much appreciated!

Here are the shoes:

Here is the current heel tab:

Last edited:

CMac

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying my first suit in a long time and I'm having trouble with the size. Specifically I'm looking at the same suit in both a regular cut and short cut. I've reviewed the rules of how a suit should fit, specifically the ones on how the jacket should cover your behind and the finger cup test. However, I'm still unsure which cut fits me better. I've attached pictures of both cuts. Please comment on what cut suits me best (no pun intended).

Thanks in advance.

This is the regular cut.

This is the short cut.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, CM. Without a doubt, the Regular. It looks like it fits you very well from the front shot.

nyshoe

Reaction score
What color are these vintage Allen Edmonds Warwicks? I tried their burgundy shoe cream, but I looks too dark and too red compared to the rest of the shoe. The shoes are so old they're not on the AE site or the list of colors. The current Warwicks only come in black, oxblood, and light brown. Does AE usually stick with the same colors when redesigning shoes, making this oxblood?

Clarky89

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're approaching spring/summer where you can't hide behind sweaters and jackets in the office, so I've invested in some better quality shirts, but the paranoid side of me is questioning the fit, and my torso/leg ratio.

Is this suitable for the office, or totally silly looking?!? Guy in the shop says it's fine, but he's obviousky trying to make a sale!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What color are these vintage Allen Edmonds Warwicks? I tried their burgundy shoe cream, but I looks too dark and too red compared to the rest of the shoe. The shoes are so old they're not on the AE site or the list of colors. The current Warwicks only come in black, oxblood, and light brown. Does AE usually stick with the same colors when redesigning shoes, making this oxblood?

Welcome to the forum, ny. You're likely to get an answer in the AE thread. Sorry, I don't know.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/52950#post_7561751

Best of luck.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi all,

We're approaching spring/summer where you can't hide behind sweaters and jackets in the office, so I've invested in some better quality shirts, but the paranoid side of me is questioning the fit, and my torso/leg ratio.

Is this suitable for the office, or totally silly looking?!? Guy in the shop says it's fine, but he's obviousky trying to make a sale!

Welcome to the forum. It doesn't look that bad to me, by it's pretty hard to tell from that picture. It can definitely be better, but it fits better than most of what you see in the workplace. Honest feedback: French cuffs should really never be worn casually.

Last edited:

Clarky89

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. It doesn't look that bad to me, by it's pretty hard to tell from that picture. It can definitely be better, but it fits better than most of what you see in the workplace. Honest feedback: French cuffs should really never be worn casually.

Ouch on the FCs. I've just got 4 of them!! Suppose it won't be too much of an issue in the summer when I can roll sleeves up!

I'll take 'better than most' with the fit thiugh, I know it's far from perfect but wanted to avoid looking completely stupid.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Get some plain button cufflinks and close the cuffs like a barrel cuff shirt. The cuffs will look a little different but it's not particularly noticeable.

Clarky89

Reaction score
Will look into it. Thanks both.

Styles harder than I thought, isn't it? Haha.

Might just go in Monday and hope they're all naive to style and think 'they're nice shiny cuff links' . . .

G Khan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of this Purple Label shirt? Has anyone seen it for sale? I have only seen it in ads. Thanks,

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, G. I can't tell you the name of that specific RL, but the style is called a butcher stripe.

Last edited:

Holnave

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently purchased my first suit and an off-the-rack one. I got the sleeves altered to fit my hands just right however the tailor has left a very short distance between the button and the cuff. I've read that there should be about an inch or more distance. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads