NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUN 1, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, May 31, 2015.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with Barkers, but from what I've read, they are good entry level shoes. It's not "necessary" to spend more...it just depends on what you want and why you want them. Best of luck.

2. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, 10. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can try Ascot Chang in Beverly Hills or myTailor (Joe Hemrajani) in Costa Mesa. Best of luck.

3. bpgf

bpgf Member

thank you for the feedback....out of curiosity what do see as the drawbacks of cordovan? i haven't owned cordovan shoes before but it seems to have a fair number of admirers on this board, any sizing thoughts on the F last? Im a US 11 D.

4. bpgf

bpgf Member

• Moral Squirrel....I just saw another one of your posts...are you an OC guy? if so do you have 1. a good local tailor 2. local shoe repair/cobbler

5. Murlsquirl

I don't want to talk like I have experience with shell, because I don't. It just doesn't appeal to me. Plenty of discussion on it here http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc I'm a 11/11.5US and take a 44 in Vass F last. Sizing with Vass can be tricky so it's best to get advice from Vass or the vendor you purchase them from. I'm in California. Fields Tailors is known as one of the best in DC. Not sure about cobblers, but there are a few DC guys in this thread that will help out http://www.styleforum.net/t/375309/noodles-good-natured-advice-thread-improving-a-business-wardrobe

6. bpgf

bpgf Member

Sorry I meant Orange County, CA

7. Murlsquirl

My fault, it looked like DC on my phone. I'm on the Central Coast near Pismo Beach. I don't really know any tailors that way, but there are plenty of people here that should be able to help.

8. bpgf

bpgf Member

ok thanks....I saw you reference a tailor in costa mesa, thought I would take shot.

9. Murlsquirl

10. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

I bought a few BB OCBD Sport Shirts recently to be worn casual with top button unbuttoned and jeans / chinos. However, when I wear them they keep the shape of fully buttoned (unlike any of my normal dress shirt collars which naturally spread) and I don't think I like it.

Is this normal? I'm really just not sure if it's supposed to be like that and I'm just not used to it yet (these are my first OCBDs) or if it's not sitting right and making me look like a cholo.

Thanks for any and all help.

11. Murlsquirl

The collar is held up so they won't open up as much as your other shirts. You can always try unbuttoning the next button below.

12. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

That might be fine when I'm out but I also wanted to wear them casual Friday to work and get some OCBD Dress Shirts to wear during the week.

And just to be clear, I wouldn't mind if they didn't open as much as my other shirts. It's just that they don't seem to open AT ALL. The top button sits right behind the button hole. Maybe this is due to the fact that they are right out of box and haven't been washed or worn yet?

13. Murlsquirl

The fact that they haven't been washed or broken in definitely has something to do with it. Give them some time....

14. Cyclotol

Cyclotol New Member

I need uniform shoes!

The regulations allow for much nicer shoes than I've been issued. Here's the relevant info from AFI 36-2903: 6.4.1.4... Shoes will be [black] low-quarter, oxford-style, lace-up with a plain rounded toe or a plain rounded-capped toe. Soles will not exceed 1/2" in thickness and the heel will not exceed 1" in height... Shoes will be smooth or scotch-grained leather or manmade material. Shoes will be shined; high gloss or patent finish is optional.

For reference, this is what was issued: http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-...0M/0/Mens/Leather-Uniform-Oxford?dimensions=0
    It seems like there are much finer shoes that fit those regulations. I'll be hand polishing these (Patent leather is too plasticky for my tastes), so recommendations must be able to take a polish.

I'd prefer options around $70 (street/sale price, not MSRP) but am also curious what these fine forum members would purchase if budget was less of a concern.

15. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, Cyclotol. I'm very familiar with the AF Dress and Apperance AFI. Unfortunately, I think you will find that there are not many decent options in that price range. Try to scour eBay for some Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. Those will work with your blues and you might be able to score them on eBay near that price.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015