Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUN 1, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, May 31, 2015.

1. AstonSenna

AstonSenna Member

Hey, so i have two sport coats that were without matching pants. One is a real deep navy silk check jacket, and the other is a medium charcoal. I want to get a pair of dress trousers to wear with both of them rather than just my jeans.
    Would a pair of solid navy pants work well for either? It wouldn't be the same color as the jacket I know, but I thought different shades of blue would work together. The other option would be to go with black or a light grey.

Opinions? I'm really looking for just one pair of pants for now as I don't wear stuff like this too too often

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Welcome to the forum, JNS. Check out this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/291006/the-official-carmina-sizing-thread

3. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, abc. That link isn't working for me....but a navy suit would be perfect an interview.

4. Murlsquirl

Hey AS, navy trousers would not work with a navy check jacket. Any chance you could post pictures of the trousers/jacket?

5. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, bpg. I'd be happy to help. What kind of advice are you looking for? Just FYI....both makers are highly respected on this forum.

6. bpgf

bpgf Member

thank you...much appreciated....any thoughts on my choices? austerity brogue in black cordovan? i know a lot boils down to personal preference but want to avoid any rookie mistakes. i plan to mainly wear these shoes with a suit no tie, trying to walk the formal with a touch of casual line....would you favor one maker over the other all else being equal? bonafe vs vass. Im leaning toward vass at the moment bc i can do a double sole taper to a single with a beveled waist and metal toe plate....cant do that with bonafe...im larger guy and im hard on shoes especially toe so the double with the toe plate would help

7. bpgf

bpgf Member

oh also looking at the 804 last for the bonafe and the F last on the Vass...any thoughts on an appropritate last for the show appreciated as well.

8. abclondon

abclondon Member

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Sorry, but how are we meant to comment when we can't even see how dark it actually is according to you?

The TM Lewin pictures present a pretty standard navy suit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

10. Murlsquirl

I'm not a fan of cordovan (personal preference), but a black austerity brogue is a nice shoe.

I don't have any experience with Bonafe, but you can find more on them here http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...nafe-saint-crispins-official-affiliate-thread

I love the Vass F last, I have three pairs on that last and it is probably my favorite from any maker.

11. 10generation

10generation New Member

New to the forum.

I work in tech and often wear jeans, a dress/sport shirt to work and then throw on a blazer to head out at night.

Want to simplify and get some great simple white shirts made for me.

Need someone who can help me define what's the best shirt cut for my specific situation (and open to ideas from the forum) and then build me a few and keep me stocked.

Have heard of Freddy Vandecasteele but seems he's out of business. Would prefer someone in downtown or the west side vs the valley but ultimately will travel for the best option.

Appreciate any help you all can provide.

12. JNSJr

JNSJr Member

Thank you for the link Murlsquirl. I just got sized and was a 9.5E US, though after trying on the AE park ave, mcallister, fifth ave, and delray (split toe), I felt that the 10D was the best fit. Thanks again for pointing me to the sizing thread!

13. AstonSenna

AstonSenna Member

[​IMG]

so this is the jacket in the brightest of light. In normal lighting, like in a room, It's very dark, but this shows the pattern. It's half silk too so it has a a bit of sheen to it. I almost consider it a dinner jacket of sorts. I thought blues go good with other blues even if different shades. Would solid black be best best? or would a light grey work well too?

thanks!

14. abclondon

abclondon Member

I am looking to get some black Oxford cap toe shoes.

If the shoes are black calf and Goodyear welted, does the brand matter much?

I am looking at Barker Luton for £100 (pic below) - which seems like a good deal and they are black calf. Is it necessary to splash out on a better brand like Church's?

[​IMG]

15. Murlsquirl

Light/medium grey is the best option. Just say no to black.